Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Nov 2013 (Sunday) 08:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is owning a Canon Rebel a joke?

madasax
509 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Dec 16, 2013 14:24 |  #586

Dont think of the 7D or any of the non-rebel cameras as harder to figure out. ALOT more to know and get used to for sure, but the ease of doing general camera functions and the ability to customize button layouts is awesome. By no means do i even fully understand my 7D to its full potential, but after going from a T2i to the 7D and then holding my friends T2i - The 7D is more comfortable in my hands and the joystick/wheel ad a bit of ease that my T2i did not have. I was very used to the layout of my T2i but getting used to the 7D was fast & easy.

Current Gear: 70D - Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 - 24 2.8stm - 50 1.8 stm -

sponsored links
trewyn15
722 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 16, 2013 14:30 |  #587

I shot a graduation ceremony yesterday, it was fairly dim in the room.

I really began to realize the limitations of the ISO speed and processing with the T3. Lots of noise at 1600 and still fairly dark. Nothing Lightroom can't help out, but it was still a bit annoying.

Mitch
Canon T3 - Canon 60D - Canon Rebel 2000
Canon EOS M - Canon PowerShot SD1100IS
Gear/Feedback

Preeb
Goldmember
2,600 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 16, 2013 14:35 as a reply to  @ madasax's post |  #588

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16531516 (external link)
My responses in bold.

ddk632 wrote in post #16531588 (external link)
Agree with everything said in bold...

:cool:

I'm with you guys. Hillbille is right about one thing... he's a "naive farm boy". And I'm being diplomatic.

One of the many things he doesn't seem to realize is that when shooting RAW, you are only creating a data capture, not a photograph, not even a jpeg. It is expected and necessary that it will be post processed... that is the whole plan. It doesn't mean that it will be twisted all out of reality, only that certain steps will be taken to develop that negative into a usable image which reflects (hopefully in my case ;)) what the photographer saw when he tripped the shutter.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 16, 2013 14:35 as a reply to  @ post 16531685 |  #589

Sorry if I offended anyone - my comments were about MYSELF and I didn't make them bold. I thought I said several times that those are what "I" choose to do - and I thought I was being clear that it was not ADVICE for the many, just MY view. I stand by my view. Everyone does things differently and that's why were are ON the forum. I have learned a LOT being here, this forum is a valuable tool too, once you get by all the condescension.

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,638 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 16, 2013 14:41 |  #590

Hillbille wrote in post #16532120 (external link)
Sorry if I offended anyone - my comments were about MYSELF and I didn't make them bold. I thought I said several times that those are what "I" choose to do - and I thought I was being clear that it was not ADVICE for the many, just MY view. I stand by my view. Everyone does things differently and that's why were are ON the forum. I have learned a LOT being here, this forum is a valuable tool too, once you get by all the condescension.

Hillbille

I'm sorry, but I find it ironic that you say "get past the condescension", while being condescending. Your prior posts were all about how people use post processing to "fake" the shot since they can't get it right in camera... sounds pretty condescending to me. You're entitled to your opinion, but when you come out with it basically blasting people for processing their own photos, you should expect people to be bothered/offended. IMO the only reasons to not process your photos would be if you needed the shots up quickly (like a sports photographer for example) or you're lazy (I use this word loosely, nothing wrong with being lazy, their your photos).

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 16, 2013 14:48 |  #591

Preeb wrote in post #16532119 (external link)
I'm with you guys. Hillbille is right about one thing... he's a "naive farm boy". And I'm being diplomatic.

One of the many things he doesn't seem to realize is that when shooting RAW, you are only creating a data capture, not a photograph, not even a jpeg. It is expected and necessary that it will be post processed... that is the whole plan. It doesn't mean that it will be twisted all out of reality, only that certain steps will be taken to develop that negative into a usable image which reflects (hopefully in my case ;)) what the photographer saw when he tripped the shutter.

Yes, I am naive - and I don't mind your condescension at all as it shows who you are and explains how you view others on the forum. It is the only way a few of us get to "know" you.

Looking at your explanation of what YOU expect from shooting in RAW, I totally get where you are coming from, I do, it's the OTHER half that I don't get. The ones that critique YOUR photo because the PP wasn't carried far enough, or too far or... etc., etc..

You see, my thinking is that when I press the shutter button and the image is captured, I want it to represent MY view of that scene. Now I can understand subtle changes to achieve that but quite a few will advise - just as I have stated. Of course that's how we do it up in them thar hills. LOL!!

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 16, 2013 15:00 |  #592

But you do realize that the camera can't match our eyes, which is a reason why postprocessing is meaningful?

Some form of postprocessing must be done to take linear data from the sensor and convert into logarithmic data and squeezed into the intensity ranges that a monitor or printer can support. Same with white balance - we adapt to the color of the surrounding light when perceiving colors. The camera is rather dumb.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 16, 2013 15:08 |  #593

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16532131 (external link)
I'm sorry, but I find it ironic that you say "get past the condescension", while being condescending. Your prior posts were all about how people use post processing to "fake" the shot since they can't get it right in camera... sounds pretty condescending to me. You're entitled to your opinion, but when you come out with it basically blasting people for processing their own photos, you should expect people to be bothered/offended. IMO the only reasons to not process your photos would be if you needed the shots up quickly (like a sports photographer for example) or you're lazy (I use this word loosely, nothing wrong with being lazy, their your photos).

My comments are not meant to be condescending at all and not meant to do anything but answer one post - that was highly offensive to me in a very condescending tone. That's it. My opinion.

It is not the subtle enhancement of photographs I was addressing anyway - and I don't recall saying every person that owns Photoshop over massages their work. What I am saying is that a LOT of people on this forum do that - and then act as though it is the "normal" thing to do. It isn't - at least not to me. Naive I guess!

This:
[Ouote;} When shooting RAW, you are only creating a data capture, not a photograph, not even a jpeg. It is expected and necessary that it will be post processed... that is the whole plan. It doesn't mean that it will be twisted all out of reality, only that certain steps will be taken to develop that negative into a usable image which reflects what the photographer saw when he tripped the shutter.

was as good an explanation of the type PP I THOUGHT was being done, you know the same thing the film guys did with negatives, of course the digital age even effected that in the end. I am NOT against the total makeover of photographs in software - but I am against representing THAT, the end product as a photo someone TOOK with a camera - it isn't - at least not in my book. Why - because you, me or almst everyone else could not reproduce the effects using a camera - we might be able to get close if we use sophisticated software enhancement, but as a photograph - No.

I guess I feel that those over massaged "photo's" are morphed into pictures from photographs. A artificially created thing not from a camera but from a computer. That's all.

Hillbille

Preeb
Goldmember
2,600 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 16, 2013 15:30 |  #594

Hillbille wrote in post #16532157 (external link)
Yes, I am naive - and I don't mind your condescension at all as it shows who you are and explains how you view others on the forum. It is the only way a few of us get to "know" you.

Looking at your explanation of what YOU expect from shooting in RAW, I totally get where you are coming from, I do, it's the OTHER half that I don't get. The ones that critique YOUR photo because the PP wasn't carried far enough, or too far or... etc., etc..

You see, my thinking is that when I press the shutter button and the image is captured, I want it to represent MY view of that scene. Now I can understand subtle changes to achieve that but quite a few will advise - just as I have stated. Of course that's how we do it up in them thar hills. LOL!!

Hillbille

Just out of curiosity, how do you shoot? Do you shoot in camera jpeg? RAW, downloaded through DPP? However it's done, what you see in the viewfinder is processed, whether by the settings you make in the camera menu or by the import settings you use when you download the capture files, or both. The only difference is that I prefer to have the control myself rather than turning it over to the camera or computer software. For that reason, I shoot Neutral RAW, then apply develop settings only as needed to bring out my view. With Lightroom, that tends to be fairly minimal.

I stitch panoramas in Elements when the scene before my eyes can't be effectively captured in a single image. Does that offend your idea of photographic purity? (not intended to be condescending, just wondering where your limits lie)

Sometimes I take an image and play with it just for fun. Occasionally that results in something useful, and I don't reject it simply because it didn't come straight out of the camera. It might turn into something like this, which I consider as using an effect, not overprocessing:

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5499/11208073374_02a82a7c82_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …58812694@N08/11​208073374/  (external link)
St Malo (external link) by Preeb (external link), on Flickr

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

kiapolo
869 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 16, 2013 15:34 |  #595

I have a co-worker who owns a 60D. Never leaves AUTO.

I would think that is more of a joke.

| kiapolo.com (external link) (blog) | Gear List | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) | 2012 Project 366 (external link) |

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 16, 2013 15:36 |  #596

kiapolo wrote in post #16532286 (external link)
I have a co-worker who owns a 60D. Never leaves AUTO.

I would think that is more of a joke.

Why?

The camera will use the same sensor, even if in auto.
It will have the same frame rate.
It will ...

Exactly what is wrong with using auto for someone who wants to?

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Ace ­ and ­ Deuce
Cream of the Crop
5,749 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 16, 2013 16:15 |  #597

I probably over-process, but I printed these up and have them hanging. I get nothing but compliments on them, including people saying I didn't really take these pics. I'm actually starting to do more in post because, quite simply, I think it's fun.

Here are the original RAW files and the pic after processing. I pretty much just used sliders, and a hint of Gaussian Blur.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

2775 RAW (external link) by Ace and Deuce (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

2775 (external link) by Ace and Deuce (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

2748 RAW (external link) by Ace and Deuce (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

2748 (external link) by Ace and Deuce (external link), on Flickr

GEAR LIST

bigjohninva
Goldmember
2,206 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 16, 2013 16:46 as a reply to  @ Ace and Deuce's post |  #598

ACE an D great shoot an pp.
i still use my t3i with a 60d / my best piks are with the rebel.
i know it and it works,

bigjohn

Bigjohninva

kiapolo
869 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 16, 2013 18:01 |  #599

pwm2 wrote in post #16532292 (external link)
Why?

The camera will use the same sensor, even if in auto.
It will have the same frame rate.
It will ...

Exactly what is wrong with using auto for someone who wants to?

Paying $1500 for a bulky point and shoot is a joke.

| kiapolo.com (external link) (blog) | Gear List | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) | 2012 Project 366 (external link) |

brianh4204
125 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 16, 2013 18:22 |  #600

that's certainly one way to look at..

Most DSLR users are DLSR users because they have an interest in having more control of the final results.

Yea, will have the same sensor, same frame rate...and the flash will constantly pop up and the camera will decide how to meter and what the scene you are trying to produce is...

And in some cases get it all completely right. But in many other completely miss..

But I agree that if that is how ANYONE choses to shoot that is their choice and the Rebel may be one of the more forgiving models for doing just that.

Kiapola, " My 24 week micro-preemie baby girl" is beautiful..

Ace and Duece ditto on the shots awesome...

sponsored links

75,821 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is owning a Canon Rebel a joke?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.