Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 15 Dec 2013 (Sunday) 19:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is photography not cool?

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 17, 2013 00:33 |  #136

-AP- wrote in post #16533349 (external link)
Does that mean there is not enough equipment and the school needs funds or donations to support the kids without??

That would be a straight approach to the problem however impossible it is to equip every kid with a dslr in school.

I appreciate the notion that sometimes humans produce their best under extreme conditions.

Spoon feeding our kids will just take away their instinct to survive.

sponsored links
EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,486 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 17, 2013 00:35 |  #137

MakisM1 wrote in post #16533478 (external link)
I have been questioned by the local constable for shooting this!

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MakisM1 in
./showthread.php?p=165​33478&i=i178774041
forum: General Photography Talk

What is there to shoot?

I explained that a friend of mine used to live across the street and I wanted to show him the progress...

He didn't seem satisfied but he was acutely aware that we were on the sidewalk, next to the parking lot of a supermarket. Had I used my smartphone, he wouldn't have blinked an eye... I guess a SLR means Press, or something professional or terroristlike... a threat!

^I hope you told him to f*** off since you're 100% within your rights. Reminds me of a video I saw of this guy who was just taping trains because that's what he was into and these two MTA cops were harassing the crap out of this poor guy, threatening to arrest him. The guy had the wits to just keep on recording, and kept asking which law he was breaking, which of course they had no answer to.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 17, 2013 00:37 |  #138

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16533504 (external link)
^I hope you told him to f*** off since you're 100% within your rights.

+1 :cool:

titi_67207
496 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 17, 2013 03:16 |  #139

If you take photos with an antique Rolleiflex or any other TLR, many people will find it very cool and may discuss with you. So the problem is that ... you have a too recent equipment. Keep your DSLR camera on the shelf, buy a TLR for your actual shots and In 2050's your DSLR gear will be very cool ;)

Titi

Canon 5D MkII + Sony A7 + 24x36 & 6x6 B&W film cameras .
CV 15 4.5 III | TS-E 24L II | FE 28 2 | (50+85) 1.4 | 135 2 | 70-200 4.0L | a collection of old Zuikos + FD + Adaptall + AI-s + M42

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,537 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 17, 2013 08:19 |  #140

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16533504 (external link)
^I hope you told him to f*** off since you're 100% within your rights.

No, I was very polite, I showed him the photo in the LCD screen, told him the story, the politely inquired what piqued his interest to come and check me out, then I asked whether I was within my rights to shoot a photo of the neighborhood from the public sidewalk, whether the construction on the other side has the right to prevent me from taking photos of the street...

The answers kept coming as expected, then he decided that traffic was a much more important part of his business...:rolleyes:

However, I have been prevented from taking photos with a tripod, at night in Lincoln Center in NYC, at the outdoor fountain in the atrium. It was OK to shoot handheld... I (politely always) inquired the ever obliging security guard why I couldn't use a tripod at night, in a semi-deserted (because of the cold) public venue...

He informed me that I was on private property (belonging to the Lincoln Center Foundation or something similar, I don't remember) which is made available to the public.

I inquired whether they consider the tripod a threat or danger to the public and he said no! A tripod to the sages of the Foundation means professional. AND THEY DECIDED THEY DIDN'T WANT PROFESSIONALS SHOOTING NUDE MODELS AT THE LINCOLN CENTER FOUNTAIN.

Now it's 11 o clock at night and freezing... So I asked whether I can bring now the nude models and shoot them by the fountain handheld... With a straight face...

He died laughing and then he said, you got 5 minutes to use your tripod, I am going for a walk...

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

genjurok
537 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 17, 2013 09:14 |  #141

They suck. That's it. :D

6D
Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 100mm f/2
580 EX | 430 EX | Pixel King Pro wireless radio trigger and receiver (x2)

genjurok
537 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 17, 2013 09:16 |  #142

Nick_Reading.UK wrote in post #16531218 (external link)
The uncoolest thing is idiots running around taking pictures with a whooping great iPad.. that's uncool..

+1

Seriously it looks totally ridiculous to me :D

6D
Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 100mm f/2
580 EX | 430 EX | Pixel King Pro wireless radio trigger and receiver (x2)

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 17, 2013 10:21 |  #143

They must be marveling at the high resolution picture they are capturing based on the sheer size of the ipad screen.

justamateur
214 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 17, 2013 10:28 |  #144

Aki78 wrote in post #16533211 (external link)
Professional Knitter?

Actually, professional knitting is no less complex than photography. :)

Alwayslearning
58 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 17, 2013 10:35 |  #145

MakisM1 wrote in post #16533966 (external link)
No, I was very polite, I showed him the photo in the LCD screen, told him the story, the politely inquired what piqued his interest to come and check me out, then I asked whether I was within my rights to shoot a photo of the neighborhood from the public sidewalk, whether the construction on the other side has the right to prevent me from taking photos of the street...

The answers kept coming as expected, then he decided that traffic was a much more important part of his business...:rolleyes:

However, I have been prevented from taking photos with a tripod, at night in Lincoln Center in NYC, at the outdoor fountain in the atrium. It was OK to shoot handheld... I (politely always) inquired the ever obliging security guard why I couldn't use a tripod at night, in a semi-deserted (because of the cold) public venue...

He informed me that I was on private property (belonging to the Lincoln Center Foundation or something similar, I don't remember) which is made available to the public.

I inquired whether they consider the tripod a threat or danger to the public and he said no! A tripod to the sages of the Foundation means professional. AND THEY DECIDED THEY DIDN'T WANT PROFESSIONALS SHOOTING NUDE MODELS AT THE LINCOLN CENTER FOUNTAIN.

Now it's 11 o clock at night and freezing... So I asked whether I can bring now the nude models and shoot them by the fountain handheld... With a straight face...

He died laughing and then he said, you got 5 minutes to use your tripod, I am going for a walk...

brilliant ! nice to see someone use a little bit of common sense for a change :D

Peter
Canon 7D2 |, Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM, Canon Speedlite 430EXII

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 17, 2013 13:12 |  #146

Alwayslearning wrote in post #16534251 (external link)
brilliant ! nice to see someone use a little bit of common sense for a change :D

A friend of mine is a retired cop who works private security. He once told me that common sense doesn't often weigh into it. The problem is that the security guy answers to a supervisor who answers to upper management who answers to various people within the organization they are providing services for. They don't have to just consider the rightness or wrongness of a thing, but what any number of other people in the authority chain might possibly think about a situation and they are often being watched on video.

So if a security officer thinks there is any possibility that something might be done by someone to create a situation that jeopardizes his job or evaluation, they will err on the side of "caution" and ask a person to leave, disperse, put away equipment, etc unless there is a specific policy to the contrary. For instance, if a mall has a specific policy that says that photography is allowed except for tripods, then they will probably draw the line if you choose to use a monopod because some idiot above them may see them as one in the same.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

Nick3434
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 17, 2013 13:17 |  #147

MakisM1 wrote in post #16533478 (external link)
I have been questioned by the local constable for shooting this!

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MakisM1 in
./showthread.php?p=165​33478&i=i178774041
forum: General Photography Talk

What is there to shoot?

I explained that a friend of mine used to live across the street and I wanted to show him the progress...

He didn't seem satisfied but he was acutely aware that we were on the sidewalk, next to the parking lot of a supermarket. Had I used my smartphone, he wouldn't have blinked an eye... I guess a SLR means Press, or something professional or terroristlike... a threat!

This is what I am talking about. Guaranteed you had a p and s or camera phone and nothing is said. This is the perception of dslrs that a lot of the genpop has.

Everything is relative.
Gear: 6D, Unholy Trinity:twisted: (24Lii, sigma 50A, 135L), and for the other ends of the spectrum, sigmaEX 14mm2.8 and sigmaEX 100-300F4.
Fuji X-e2, Rokinon 8 2.8 Fisheye II, Fuji 14 2.8, Fuji 18-55, Fuji 23 1.4
FlikR (external link)

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,537 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 17, 2013 13:27 |  #148

Nick3434 wrote in post #16534645 (external link)
This is what I am talking about. Guaranteed you had a p and s or camera phone and nothing is said. This is the perception of dslrs that a lot of the genpop has.

Yup!

It hecks me off at the Symphony where I have to check in my camera (in Lincoln Center the usher threatened to confiscate my P&S) and then everybody breaks out the smartphones and don't even bother to suppress the flash!

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

racketman
Cream of the Crop
20,958 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 17, 2013 13:36 |  #149

never heard such comments about photography but I do get a bit of ribbing at work with my particular interest in shooting bugs..

Toby
Canon 5D MKIV
Olympus EM-1 MKII
Flickr collections (external link)
Gear

Photo123abc
236 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 17, 2013 14:07 |  #150

ddk632 wrote in post #16530205 (external link)
1. Your boss is an idiot.

2. If you enjoy something, who cares what other people think.

3. I've never from anyone heard that kind of sentiment. And if I did, I'd probably just laugh.

4. Photography is not cool. It is AWESOME!

:mrgreen:

1+ :D

You are what you eat - I dont remember eating a photographer.

sponsored links

20,189 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is photography not cool?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.