Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 Dec 2013 (Sunday) 14:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tamron astonishes the world with price of upcoming 150-600mm VC USD

abqnmusa
50 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 16, 2013 15:28 |  #31

you can see 100% view on these 150-600 samples
just click the image or the square in the viewer
be patient as it takes a few moments to load the image

http://blog.naver.com/​sp_marketing/701800427​43 (external link)

those are some nice looking samples
If the lens is consistently sharp at 600mm F6.3, focus can follow bird in servo mode, and IS aids steadiness this is a fantastic

Tamron may hit one of of the ballpark with this lens

sponsored links
BamPhoto
Goldmember
3,098 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 16, 2013 15:42 |  #32

I agree 100%!! We will know soon I hope.

abqnmusa wrote in post #16532276 (external link)
you can see 100% view on these 150-600 samples
just click the image or the square in the viewer
be patient as it takes a few moments to load the image

http://blog.naver.com/​sp_marketing/701800427​43 (external link)

those are some nice looking samples
If the lens is consistently sharp at 600mm F6.3, focus can follow bird in servo mode, and IS aids steadiness this is a fantastic

Tamron may hit one of of the ballpark with this lens

Randy
My Gear List and Feedback
Website (external link)

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,873 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 16, 2013 19:11 |  #33

jbrackjr wrote in post #16531402 (external link)
^^Well if you said a 400 with TC I would agree. The 100-400 is a great lens, but with a TC it's pretty bad.

Pretty bad at what? AF may be compromised, but a good copy of the 100-400 should be fairly pixel-sharp with a 1.4x. When things all come together, I get fairly pixel-sharp results with the 100-400 and the 2xIII on my 6D.

I shoot my 100-400 at 800mm with the 2xIII all the time. I can't see any visible loss of global contrast, and there's always more detail than with cropping, unless I have to rely on AF for a BIF or such, in which case a pixelated bird is better than one with a lot of pixels, but out of focus.

If that is all the Tamron could do at 600 I think most people would be disappointed.

There's one plus that's a given, though. More subject light, due to the larger aperture, and therefore, less noise. The Tamron, wide open, gathers almost a stop more subject photons than a 400/5.6.

I would take the Canon ps super zoom over using a TC on my 100-400.

I feel very compromised when using my SX50 compared to my 100-400 with a 2x.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,887 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 17, 2013 00:21 |  #34

jbrackjr wrote in post #16531290 (external link)
Price is actually too good to be true....makes me a little skeptical about the IQ and focus speed your going to get.

That is my initial reaction.

If Canon made one, it would probably be around $4,000, but we would know for sure that IQ and build quality would be stellar, as they are with all of Canon's more recent supertelephoto introductions.

At a thousand bucks, I simply do not see how they could build it like a tank and also put Ultra-low Dispersion and/or fluorite elements into it. Maybe they found a way to do this, but it seems impossible from an economic standpoint.

The versatility of a 150-600mm lens would be very useful, and a must-have even at twice the price . . . if the IQ and build quality are there.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

trewyn15
722 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 17, 2013 01:15 |  #35

wow... that's a great price, i'll be looking to pick up a used one in a year or so when prices are down :D

have you guys seen much for Tamron VC lenses that have had poor IQ or quality overall?

Mitch
Canon T3 - Canon 60D - Canon Rebel 2000
Canon EOS M - Canon PowerShot SD1100IS
Gear/Feedback

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,192 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 17, 2013 02:40 |  #36

I do not mind it being a plastic lens, plastic may mean "flimsy and breakable" to some but to me it means lightweight and portable. :) Of course Tamron must have saved money somewhere, so lets wait and see.

Bearing in mind most long zooms need stopping down to f8 for best sharpness anyway, I will waiting for some 600mm f8 sample from real wold use.

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,192 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 17, 2013 02:46 |  #37

Talley wrote in post #16531129 (external link)
I don't agree with easier to carry with. The 100-400 is 3.5" diameter x 7.5" long and 3lbs. This Tamron is 4.2" in diameter 10.15" long and 4.3 lbs

It's definitely bigger!

Unless you meant carrying this instead of BOTH 100-400 and 500 then yes I would agree. This would be a one lens covers all outdoor solution for length.

At the moment one needs to carry a Sigma 150-500/100-400 and a 500f4 (and TC) or 600f4 to get to 600 or more. So now if I were travelling I could take one lens, a drop in IQ maybe but way less to carry (great on a backpack trip or family holiday). My definition is not everyone definition of travel, my usual "travel" kit was 24-105, 300 2.8 and 500 f4... :) but I sold the 300 and now have the 120-300. :rolleyes: and since we are talkiing about a 600mm lens I figured most people would be looking at this from a similar position (having multiple lenses to cover the same range).

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

clarnibass
793 posts
Joined May 2011

Dec 17, 2013 02:56 |  #38

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16533494 (external link)
At a thousand bucks, I simply do not see how they could build it like a tank and also put Ultra-low Dispersion and/or fluorite elements into it. Maybe they found a way to do this, but it seems impossible from an economic standpoint.

They probably didn't "build it like a tank". In the advertisement/specs it doesn't say that it has any ULD or flurite elements. Of all these features the closest thing is that they used a few LD elements. So it's probably safe to guess it doesn't have any of those things. BTW those $70 are maybe insignificant for some poeple buying it but it is 7% more than a thousands which is significant (imagine getting a 7% raise, for example).

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16533494 (external link)
The versatility of a 150-600mm lens would be very useful, and a must-have even at twice the price . . . if the IQ and build quality are there.

"There" being the critical issue... it's very different depeneding on the buyer. For you it is a "must have" for even twice the price and it sounds like you would buy a similarly speced (i.e. 150-600mm f/5-6.3) from Canon if it was better. But many won't.

I think people saw the specs and there was a weird online hype that it would be close to a prime lens. But just because it's not doesn't mean it is not a good lens at a price that is reasonable. Just as people were going crazy about it they are in a hurry to bury it as a good lens because of the price.

www.nitailevi.com (external link)

MattD
944 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 17, 2013 03:12 |  #39

racketman wrote in post #16531051 (external link)
For UK price do not convert $ to £ just change $ to £.

Nick_Reading.UK wrote in post #16531096 (external link)
Ha Ha.. so true..

Consider though UK prices will have 20% vat added by default and the US prices do not inc local state taxes that will have to be added.

Flickr (external link).
500PX (external link)
Twitter (external link)
Tumblr (external link)

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 17, 2013 04:06 |  #40

clarnibass wrote in post #16533662 (external link)
I think people saw the specs and there was a weird online hype that it would be close to a prime lens. But just because it's not doesn't mean it is not a good lens at a price that is reasonable. Just as people were going crazy about it they are in a hurry to bury it as a good lens because of the price.

Prior to the announcement of the price, I think most were hopeful that it would be close to a prime in performance (expecting a much higher price tag). However, after the price became known, a lot of us are skeptical that the lens can deliver good IQ as well as fast and accurate focusing. Hell, we would all like to see Tamron produce a winner here (except mabe Canon :)).

If it works as well as my 100-400 (without the TC, thank you very much!) I will get one for sure.

Jim
Gear List

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 17, 2013 08:13 |  #41

jbrackjr wrote in post #16533717 (external link)
Prior to the announcement of the price, I think most were hopeful that it would be close to a prime in performance (expecting a much higher price tag). However, after the price became known, a lot of us are skeptical that the lens can deliver good IQ as well as fast and accurate focusing. Hell, we would all like to see Tamron produce a winner here (except mabe Canon :)).

If it works as well as my 100-400 (without the TC, thank you very much!) I will get one for sure.

I don't think anybody was expecting Prime performance. I just want it to match or beat the Sigma 50-500 at max zoom, and I'll be happy with it.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 17, 2013 09:22 as a reply to  @ archer1960's post |  #42

Have you guys actually taken a look at the sample pictures? they really don't look half bad for a 4x zoom. Actually, they look extremely good for any kind of zoom. Doubly so for one at this price point.

Is it better than a 600 f4? nope. But it is a zoom which does give it some versatility. However, at 10% of the price of the 600 f4L I think it looks fantastic.

Built like a tank? probably not. Weatherproof, probably not. But if you destroy one every three years you still have a long time before it ends up costing what the Canon did.

As above, it has been a stellar year for the third party manufacturers. I know that the "I only own/shoot Canon" crowd has a hard time coming to grips with this but I really hope it continues. Competition is a great thing IMHO.

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,655 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 17, 2013 09:28 |  #43

racketman wrote in post #16531051 (external link)
For UK price do not convert $ to £ just change $ to £.

I've noticed this for a lot of stuff I've researched for friends and colleagues in the UK. And then you have to pay VAT on top, right?

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 17, 2013 09:31 |  #44

When I had the Tamron 70-300 VC I thought it was amazing. I really couldn't fault the IQ at all. If it has the same or better it will be a pure steal. AF wasn't speedy, but it was generally ok. I might sell some of my sheep for one.

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,655 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 17, 2013 09:43 |  #45

I don't understand why everyone's so concerned about the low price. If Tamron can make a very good 70-300 for $450 why not a 150-600 for $1070? Remember, lenses aren't ground by hand anymore. Sure, more material and time is needed, and there will be a higher QA rejection rate, which I think the price appropriately reflects.

I don't expect this to be an L-quality lens, but I'm not afraid that the 150-600 quality won't be on-par with their 70-300. But I guess we'll know in a few months.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

sponsored links

19,200 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tamron astonishes the world with price of upcoming 150-600mm VC USD
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.