Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Dec 2013 (Monday) 22:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What the heck happen to this photo?... major error?!?!

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,091 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 16, 2013 22:00 |  #1

I've seen this twice now on my 6D. Just random something crap.

IMAGE: http://nitrousdepot.net/POTN/12162013.35483.jpg

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

sponsored links
EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 16, 2013 22:02 |  #2

I don't know, but tell everyone it's by Warhol and you'll make millions.

Sony A7 III and some lenses

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,591 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined May 2007

Dec 16, 2013 22:09 |  #3

I'd start by trashing the memory card, making sure the replacement card is not a cheap off-brand one and being sure to format the card in the camera prior to use.

Doug
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 16, 2013 22:13 as a reply to  @ EOS-Mike's post |  #4

Corrupted image file by the look of it.

You just need to narrow down the source of the corruption. Do you see this whilst the card is still in the camera, on the screen, before you try and download? If so it is likely a fault in your memory card, or possibly a camera fault.

If the images were fine in the camera, but like that on your computer it is more likely to be a faulty card reader, or connecting cable that is causing the problem, but it could also be a software issue on the computer itself.

You can try different cards, different readers etc., try and eliminate possibilities until you are sure where the images are getting corrupted.

Fitness ­ Freak
841 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 16, 2013 22:15 |  #5

That's weird. Does it look like that on the LCD screen when you review the image on the camera or is it like this only after you upload and/or PP?

FYI: "Fitness Freak" is also known as "Amber" outside of POTN.
http://fineartamerica.​com/profiles/1-amber-kresge.html (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 16, 2013 22:18 |  #6

Naturalist wrote in post #16533282 (external link)
I'd start by trashing the memory card, making sure the replacement card is not a cheap off-brand one and being sure to format the card in the camera prior to use.

Whilst a faulty card is a quite strong possibility, this sort of thing is also quite commonly caused by a faulty (or cheap) card reader or cable. I certainly wouldn't start by throwing out what is quite possibly a perfectly good card. At least find out if it is the card at fault first.

Equally of course, I wouldn't be using that card for any important shoots either, not until it has been cleared of blame.

Fitness ­ Freak
841 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 16, 2013 22:18 |  #7

Sorry sandpiper, your post didn't show up on my monitor until my comment posted. I had a similar issue last year and figured out it was due to a known glitch in PS when you convert a color image to B&W and save it. I had to click on the "RBG" box after the conversion and just before I saved the image to prevent this from happening.

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
11,091 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 16, 2013 22:21 |  #8

Naturalist wrote in post #16533282 (external link)

Fitness Freak wrote in post #16533294 (external link)
That's weird. Does it look like that on the LCD screen when you review the image on the camera or is it like this only after you upload and/or PP?

I use a Trandscend 3.0 external reader. My memory is Sandisk Extreme 95MB/s so it is indeed not any off brand.

I know the image was fine on camera but is now junk. I usually take doubles so I didn't lose the image nor was it anything special as this shot was me really jacking around however I do believe the image got corrupted at import.

This has happen once before I know. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Fitness ­ Freak
841 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 16, 2013 22:27 |  #9

Good luck! It can be a very aggravating process trying to determine the source of the problem. It ended up taking us here on POTN a while to figure out my issue and it even took them a while to figure out the problem over on the Adobe forum-which I was eventually advised to go to. I hope you can nail down the exact problem quickly and soon!

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 16, 2013 22:30 |  #10

Talley wrote in post #16533304 (external link)
I use a Trandscend 3.0 external reader. My memory is Sandisk Extreme 95MB/s so it is indeed not any off brand.

I know the image was fine on camera but is now junk.
I usually take doubles so I didn't lose the image nor was it anything special as this shot was me really jacking around however I do believe the image got corrupted at import.

This has happen once before I know. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

It is most likely a fault in the card reader or the cable then, good brands reduce the chance of faults developing but do not rule them out, even the best gear can go bad.

I can't comment on Fitness Freaks PS issue as it has never happened to me when I've done mono conversions. Obviously though, if you had done such a conversion on the image just before it went bad (presumably it would have been fine after download or you wouldn't be converting the image to mono) then that is the likely answer.

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 17, 2013 00:38 |  #11
bannedPermanently

New card.

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 17, 2013 01:18 |  #12

Keep in mind that a good jpeg preview doesn't mean the rest of the RAW/jpeg file is also good.

If the preview is good in camera and bad on the computer then it's most like something in the transfer chain(card to drive), card reader or cable are most common failure points.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 17, 2013 08:01 |  #13

I cannot see the image you are all discussing. How does it appear?

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Jim_T
Goldmember
3,312 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Dec 17, 2013 08:16 |  #14

Lowner wrote in post #16533934 (external link)
I cannot see the image you are all discussing.

Neither can I....

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,157 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Dec 17, 2013 08:17 as a reply to  @ Lowner's post |  #15

Same old corrupted look that people post all the time, it is all discolored and discombobulated. In a vast majority of the situations, it is either a corrupted card, or bad card reader/file transfer.

Even if a Sandisk is being used, one has to be careful where they bought it, because it is the most popular card to be counterfeited, or at least was just a few years ago.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

3,494 views & 0 likes for this thread
What the heck happen to this photo?... major error?!?!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.