Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 13 Dec 2013 (Friday) 13:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PhotoPills -- An Incredibly Useful App

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 13, 2013 13:13 |  #1

One of my mentors, Michael Frye (external link), turned me onto a relatively new app called PhotoPills (external link). This app provides features and functionality far above The Photographer's Ephemeris (external link). The user interface on PhotoPills is superb, and it includes some incredibly useful features such as 3D Augmented Reality that can be used for day and night photography, and some very useful calculators and planning tools for time lapse photography. For example, you can use Augmented Reality to see where the Milky Way will be in your composition and how it will travel across the sky throughout the night. You can use Augmented Reality to see when and where the sun will be visible through the middle of the arch you're photographing, and how it will look as you adjust your composition. Wanna see how long your star trails will be for the series of exposures you've chosen? It can do that too.There's a lot more that it can do and I'll let you read about it at their website.

I purchased it earlier today and have been playing with it for the last 3 hours and am blown away by all it can do. This is going to be a very useful tool for planning at home, in the field, and while traveling to many destinations. Right now its only available for the iPhone with a free update for the iPad version that's currently in development.

http://www.photopills.​com (external link)

It looks like an indispensible app and something worth sharing with you.

Cheers,
Bryan

My Gear List

sponsored links
C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,812 posts
Gallery: 499 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 13, 2013 18:37 |  #2

I was reading Michael's e-mail this morning. This looks very interesting and I plan to get it. Thanks for spreading the word and giving him credit.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!" Ansel Adams

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 14, 2013 07:23 |  #3

That does look good. I bet it works really well on an iPad mini.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,902 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 17, 2013 05:29 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #4

cool.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Z0RR0
49 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 17, 2013 16:05 |  #5

Any Android support in the future?

6D, 10D, Tokina 12-24, Canon 50 f1.8, 28-135 , 430EXII, GoPro 1&2

bps
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 18, 2013 13:42 |  #6

Z0RR0 wrote in post #16535040 (external link)
Any Android support in the future?

It looks like they have plans to eventually bring PhotoPills to Android, but not in the very near future. (According to their FAQs here (external link).)

I've been exploring the app in greater detail over the last few days and I'm loving it even more. PhotoPills offers tutorials here (external link) which are useful for learning more about what the app can do.

Bryan

My Gear List

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 18, 2013 16:18 as a reply to  @ bps's post |  #7

Sounds like a great app, to bad its Apple only.

jecottrell
324 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 19, 2013 12:42 |  #8

This has some of the functionality for Android. (external link) But not a lot of the avanced stuff.

vertigo235
Goldmember
2,009 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 21, 2013 12:04 |  #9

Good app. Wish I saw before I paid for tpe

Canon EOS 6D EOS 5D Mark III | Apple Iphone 6 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM 50mm F1.4 DG HSM ART | Samyang 85mm f/1.4 AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II Speedlite 90EX | Yongnuo YN-468II

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,902 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 12, 2014 19:36 as a reply to  @ vertigo235's post |  #10

just re-found this app through another blog. For whatever reason i didn't buy it the first time I saw it and then couldn't find this thread!!

glad to be reunited, I think others will want to check this out.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

pankajkumars
179 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 13, 2014 03:04 |  #11

I have this app and look a bit tough. Let me see how to make use of it. I bought as per my PW recommendations.

5D MK IV + 5D MK II | 24-85 | 35L | 85mm 1.2 IIL | 70-200 2.8 IS II L , Olympus EM5 II + PL25mm 1.4
flickr pankajks (external link)

NYRGTO
51 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 13, 2014 23:00 |  #12

The app has a very steep learning curve. It's incredibly powerful once you learn how to properly use it. Their website has some tutorial videos anyone should watch to get the hang of it.

www.robrauchwerger.com (external link)

yslee
34 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 20, 2014 10:16 |  #13

7 months on and still no Android. I'm sad.

sponsored links

4,837 views & 0 likes for this thread
PhotoPills -- An Incredibly Useful App
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.