Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 17 Dec 2013 (Tuesday) 00:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Taking a walk

ericm678
330 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 17, 2013 18:14 as a reply to  @ post 16535350 |  #16

Bird and worm: Shoot from a birds angle or a worms angle. Lay down in a creek if you have to, get up in the tallest tree to get the best landscape. etc.

these images COULD be nice with the right time of day and perspective it was photographed at.

look at paintings/photo's and other artwork to spark up some creative gears and help with composition
take your T2i and shoot raw
understand proper exposure/lighting, is it hard light? soft light? how does it affect the subject? etc.
get LR (Adobe Lightroom 4 or 5) start playing around with some old images to see how it works

Sometimes when you ask for critique you have to step away from your images and look from their perspectives. I understand, it sucks getting your photo's torn apart. So take what you can learn out of the critique, to improve next time you go shoot. Some things in a photo can bother one person and not the other, so take it with a grain of salt and think about how that image can be better.

"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist" --Pablo Picasso
Gear: 40D-----85 f/1.8-----40 f/2.8----- 20 f/2.8
Wishlist: 6D

Erockbrox
THREAD ­ STARTER
57 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 17, 2013 22:55 |  #17

Thanks guys!

I'll try and do a re-shoot on some of these with the T2i and post them.

And some of these look like they are from the same perspective because some of them I took straight out of my car window!

I was driving around with the window down and taking pics. Especially the spray paint art work.

That part of town is actually pretty scary and ghetto so I don't know if its a good idea to carry a camera I paid $400.00 for and be laying on the ground take pics with it! Honestly if I'm doing that at the wrong time of day I'd probably get robbed and the camera stolen.

And actually many of these photos are touched up with Photoshop CS5. I normally do the auto tone or auto contrast on them and if they look better I keep them. Sometimes I bump up the contrast manually if I feel it needs it.

Also what is shooting raw do anyway? What do I do after I shoot in raw.... convert it to unraw???

Naraly
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 17, 2013 23:51 |  #18

Erockbrox wrote in post #16535919 (external link)
Thanks guys!

I'll try and do a re-shoot on some of these with the T2i and post them.

And some of these look like they are from the same perspective because some of them I took straight out of my car window!

I was driving around with the window down and taking pics. Especially the spray paint art work.

That part of town is actually pretty scary and ghetto so I don't know if its a good idea to carry a camera I paid $400.00 for and be laying on the ground take pics with it! Honestly if I'm doing that at the wrong time of day I'd probably get robbed and the camera stolen.

And actually many of these photos are touched up with Photoshop CS5. I normally do the auto tone or auto contrast on them and if they look better I keep them. Sometimes I bump up the contrast manually if I feel it needs it.

Also what is shooting raw do anyway? What do I do after I shoot in raw.... convert it to unraw???

1. Try to push yourself using your t2i by not shooting from the car, and not taking a quick pic. Spend several minutes looking at something and trying to get the composition right before actually pressing the button to take the picture. You can search for "architecture photography" in google images, or here in the forum to get an idea of what good angles look like. maybe screen shot a few with your phone or olympus and take it with you to a shoot, try to replicate some of the same angles that other photographers did for you to see the difference between taking a picture from an angle of driving by, to taking a photograph that took time to accomplish.

2. Don't go to "ghetto" areas where you wouldn't feel safe walking around with your camera. Go somewhere where you feel safe, or take a friend or family member long with you also. When you're photographing you need to feel comfortable because you need to take your time and not feel rushed at all. You should literally feel like time has stopped because the whole time before you take a picture you should be asking yourself a lot of questions like "is this interesting?" "how can I make it more interesting?" "is there something in the way of my subject?" "is there something distracting I don't want in the picture?", etc. What really helped me the most when I started out with a DSLR and taking photos is going to the critique section of this forum and READING other people's critiques. That was really helpful to me! Because I would read about the MISTAKES they made, and I would remember some for when I tried something similar, I would pretend like my work was being critiqued before I took the picture. I would just stare through the viewfinder or the LCD screen pointed at my subject and trying to remember all the "no-no's" I read about in the forum. I think it's even more helpful sometimes than posting your images to be critiqued, because sometimes someone with really valuable information will critique someone's images, but that same person might not critique the next person and so on, so you're not going to get critiqued always by the same people that have critiqued other posts, and if you don't read the other posts you could be missing out on a lot of valuable information!

SHOOTING RAW:
3. This means to have your camera take the pictures in a format in which the information is not long. I'm not an expert on all the technicalities of this, but when you shoot in JPEG (what most point and shoot cameras shoot automatically), the result is a picture, a picture that's ready to be uploaded to Facebook, and if you need to change the exposure or colors you can only do so to a certain point before you start loosing quality and it just looks crappy. Because by shooting in JPEG, the camera already made the decisions on how it should look and it's almost "locked". When you shoot in RAW, all the juicy details have been untouched, details like exposure, saturation, contrast, etc. each individual adjustment is kind of floating freely, when you upload them to your computer you can adjust each individual part of the photo and it will retain a lot of the quality. After you're done editing, THEN you can save it as a JPEG to upload it online. You can't upload RAW to a photo sharing service, because in RAW, it's not a picture yet, it's mostly just DATA/INFORMATION.

So go to the menu section in your DSLR, and find where it lets you choose between JPEG or RAW, and choose RAW. Then when you upload them to your computer, you can open them with photoshop or lightroom. Edit them, then click "save as", "save for web", or "export", to save it as a JPEG picture file, and you're done!

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

Naraly
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 17, 2013 23:53 |  #19

Also, I think the picture of the TV on the street could have been more interesting if you would have placed it on the top left part of the "rule of thirds" line. Look up "rule of thirds" online to see what I am talking about. A subject like that, you should try placing in one of the 4 intersections of the lines.

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

Erockbrox
THREAD ­ STARTER
57 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 18, 2013 00:39 |  #20

Thanks Naraly!

Nice idea to read other critiques from on photos from other people. *puts on list of things to do*

And now I totally understand the RAW thing. That way I can play around with it more in photoshop and have more control over what the final image looks like. *grabs T2i and changes settings from jpeg to raw immediately!*

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,894 views & 0 likes for this thread
Taking a walk
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.