Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 05 Sep 2013 (Thursday) 13:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is there a way to convert manfrotto head to use arca-swiss plate?

badams
699 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 05, 2013 13:21 |  #1

I have a Manfrotto 3421 Head (gimbal type) and the problem is they don't make an L bracket for it. It is a pain to carry around 2 tripods when I use those lenses that do not have a tripod collar and need to shoot portrait.

It looks like the piece that holds the plate will unscrew from the actual head, but I don't know if there are any arca-swiss pieces that will fit it. It would sure save a bundle if I can just replace the plate holder (& plates) so I don't have to get a $400+ head. Anyone know if that piece can be replaced?

Everyday use: 7D2, 1.4x v3 Canon TC (sometimes the 2x v2 Canon TC), Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM; 6D, 24-105L
http://www.southernokp​hotography.com (external link)

sponsored links
M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,450 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 05, 2013 13:32 |  #2

Manfrotto just started selling an RC2 replacement clamp that is supposedly Arca Swiss, but it isn't. I bought it and tried it out, and the only plate that fit it was the one that came with it. My other A-S (Wimberley) plates did not fit.

Not sure if this will work with the Manfrotto Gimbal head, but check it out. Really Right Stuff sells RC2-to-Arca Swiss replacement clamps.

http://www.ocabj.net …to-arca-swiss-conversion/ (external link)

Mark J.
Gear

Saint728
Goldmember
2,892 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 06, 2013 14:56 |  #3

Get yourself a couple of Peak Design DualPlate Manfrotto/Arca quick release plates and you will be set. I have like 6 of them and I use it on all my camera gear so I don't have to take it off and use it on something else.

https://peakdesignltd.​com …uct&path=60&pro​duct_id=55 (external link)

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III | 17-40mm f/4.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 300mm f/4.0L IS
Click Here To See My Gear
Click here to see my Flickr (external link)
http://www.runryder.co​m/helicopter/gallery/9​019/ (external link)

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 09, 2013 10:07 |  #4

I just converted my Manfrotto RC2 into a Arca-Swiss

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=16240607&p​ostcount=3

www.hejnarphotostore.c​om (external link) may have a replacement.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

cbowlsby
175 posts
Joined May 2013

Sep 09, 2013 14:50 |  #5

You can replace the clamp with any of a number of manufacturer's Arca-Swiss clamps.

feedback

BufordFZ1
622 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Sep 09, 2013 21:46 as a reply to  @ cbowlsby's post |  #6

How about the RC-4 plate???

A2, 60D, 5DII
Canon EF 17-40mm L
EF 100mm L
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM,Canon 50 1.4, 430 EXII,580 EXII

badams
THREAD ­ STARTER
699 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 12, 2013 13:25 |  #7

cbowlsby wrote in post #16282339 (external link)
You can replace the clamp with any of a number of manufacturer's Arca-Swiss clamps.

cbowlsby, I can just unscrew the RC4 clamp and screw in a arca-swiss?

Everyday use: 7D2, 1.4x v3 Canon TC (sometimes the 2x v2 Canon TC), Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM; 6D, 24-105L

shooter00
151 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 12, 2013 21:56 |  #8

badams wrote in post #16291229 (external link)
cbowlsby, I can just unscrew the RC4 clamp and screw in a arca-swiss?

The best I recall there are only two small allenhead screws holding that plate on.
If thats the case you will need to drill a hole centered in the mounting bar to run a 1/4 to 3/8 bolt to hold the AS plate.

You will need to watch your clearance if you use a knob type release plate also as the knob will probably extend below the bottom of the plate and hit the bar when you change orientation.

You might have to make up a spacer to give the knob clearance.
I just like to DIY stuff in my shop and that's the way I would do it.

I'm sure there are more expensive ways to do it so YMMV ;)

badams
THREAD ­ STARTER
699 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 13, 2013 14:57 |  #9

I think I'm just going to get a new gimbal head that is arca-swiss compatible. Might cost more, but since I don't have the equipment or the time to do it, I'll just buy new. Probably save the head and use it for my scope while birding since it works great for that purpose.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 13, 2013 20:10 |  #10

I feel your pain. When I got my 300 f/2.8 (used) it included the 393 gimbal (the old ID for the 3421). Lovely gimbal, but it'll take a major effort to make it A-S capable. Maybe with a block of wood (poor man's version) to raise the plate far enough to be able to use the screw/lever release on an A-S plate on there. I got a Jobu Black Widow instead. Maybe one of these days, I'll try the adaptation. Or attach an A-S clamp to the 393 plate. Probably easier to do that.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

badams
THREAD ­ STARTER
699 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 18, 2013 16:19 |  #11

I still haven't done anything about the situation. Had bought a Beike gimbal, but it was out of stock and they didn't get any more in so I had to cancel the order without ever testing one of those cheap gimbals. Now I'm not sure if I even want to test one.

Jon, I had thought about attaching an AS clamp to the 393 plate, but didn't want that many connections when using the 500, which lead me to my next thought.

Keep the 393 for the 500mm, then get a ball head that uses the same plate as the 393 to use on the other tripod. I don't really like that option as it would be nice not to have to carry two tripods. But without it costing a fortune to switch, may be my only option.

sawsedge
802 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 19, 2013 13:53 |  #12

Get in touch with RRS and see if they can offer a suggestion.

Hejnar offers a lot of clamps with various connection styles and he might be able to hook you up as well.

- John

sponsored links

15,576 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is there a way to convert manfrotto head to use arca-swiss plate?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.