Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 16 Dec 2013 (Monday) 13:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 1DX and rear sync shooting

shamguess
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 16, 2013 13:50 |  #1

I recently decided to purchase a Paul Buff Einstein system. I have a 1D Mark IV and a 1DX that I use daily. I often shoot sports in the evening using a slow shutter speed and rear curtain sync with my 580 strobe. I couldn't find anything in the Paul Buff material about how to fire their products rear sync so I called Paul Buff tech support. They said it was a function of a camera setting. The Mark IV has a menu setting for "rear curtain sync". The 1DX does not have the same menu but it does have a section for "external speedlight control". If you go to this menu, the 1DX does not recognize anything but a Canon speedlight (as far as I can figure). So I called Canon Professional Services. They got out a 1DX and confirmed that there is no menu ability to set a non-Canon light to rear sync. The guy I spoke to was amazed that this feature was missing from their flagship camera but was available on the previous model. He entered a memo to those that address customer concerns with the hope it will be resolved with an upcoming firmware update. He agreed that this should be a feature on this camera. He also said that the best way to get the attention of Canon was to have other 1DX owners call or write to Canon Professional Services and let them know that you want the ability to set your camera to rear curtain sync for use with non-Canon lighting systems.

So my plea is that any of you 1DX owners (or potential owners) call Canon Professional Services and ask that this oversight be corrected. Here is the number for CPS and thanks for your help: 1-888-CPS-4540

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,211 posts
Gallery: 277 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 16, 2013 13:57 |  #2

BTW if you need a workaround just use a canon flash in the hotshoe to trigger the optical slaves on the bees. Actually this option might be preferable as you dont have to rely on the delay built into certain wireless triggering systems.

shamguess
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 16, 2013 14:50 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #3

Thanks. Yes I can do that when shooting manually. Kind of defeats the purpose of purchasing the Buff Cybercommand system though.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,211 posts
Gallery: 277 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 16, 2013 14:54 |  #4

shamguess wrote in post #16532165 (external link)
Thanks. Yes I can do that when shooting manually. Kind of defeats the purpose of purchasing the Buff Cybercommand system though.

The cybercommander doesnt have to be connected to the camera to be useful. Many users use it off the camera to control the power of the lights and use a regular cybersync in the hotshoe as the actual trigger. Your usage would be similar. I think the lack of a consist timing of the various brands of triggers is likely the reason that its left off of the 1DX and most other canon cameras. Your IDX has no idea how much lag time to leave the Unknown triggering system and unknown strobe to do their work before the shutter closes.

shamguess
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 19, 2013 12:30 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #5

Not sure about "most other Canon cameras" but the 1DMarkIII and 1DMarkIV both have a rear curtain sync custom function setting and it works with non-Canon systems. Just trying to get that function added to the 1DX so I don't have to do all the workarounds described. Thanks.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 19, 2013 12:40 |  #6

I think what you've discovered is that Canon marketing has lost sight of sports photography as a feature sub-set for its professional cameras. Kind of hard to figure out why they did when one sees all the white lenses at sporting events.
Personally, it seems that SCS should be a camera selectable feature for the fire pin and PC connection. Then have the speedlite override it when its attached.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,286 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 19, 2013 16:39 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #7

It is as is described in this thread. I use Canon's 600 EX-RT flashes, and then it doesn't matter.

Anders

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 19, 2013 18:34 |  #8

apersson850 wrote in post #16540716 (external link)
It is as is described in this thread. I use Canon's 600 EX-RT flashes, and then it doesn't matter.

Should also work with the new YN-E3-RT in M mode. I'll give it a try to see if it will permit SCS from PC Port when the YN-E3-ST in in the hot shoe set to M mode.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

iituner
326 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 19, 2013 23:15 |  #9

Unfortunately it is useless.
On The center pin of the hot shoe and PC-sync port of camera will be 1st curtain sync only

Easiest to use YN-622C, combining Cyber Sync Transmitter (SCT) with YN-622C receiver using a cable. Cyber Commander use as a remote.
Then you will have the second shutter curtain.
I synchronize my cameras just so.

Canon have never been and never will be the 2nd curtain on sync contacts :)
According Canon Protocol
Second curtain sync is available for the Canon system flashes only
provided wireless control is off and the shutter speed is not shorter than 1/30s

WWW.YN622.RU (external link) CANON EOS 70D | EF 50mm F/1.4 USM | EF 24-105mm F/4L IS USM | EF-S 10-18mm F/4.5-5.6 IS STM | JINBEI DPIII600 | EINSTEIN E-640+CC/CST/CSXCV/CSR | YONGNUO: YN600EX-RT, YN-E3-RT, YNE3-RX, YN622C-TX, YN622C, RF-605C | SHANNY: SN-E3-RT, SN600C-RT, SN-E3-RF, SN600EX-RF, SN600C-RF, SN600SC, SN600SN, SN910EX-RF | PIXEL X800C (bulb dead)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,286 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 21, 2013 17:01 as a reply to  @ iituner's post |  #10

It has nothing to do with the technical aspect of this question, but I would be interested in seeing a few of these images that don't come out good unless they use 2nd curtain sync. I rarely see the need myself, you see, so I'm afraid there's something I'm missing.

Anders

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,712 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 21, 2013 17:09 |  #11

850, you could just google image search "second curtain sync". There's plenty of shots where the second curtain flash is critical to making the shot.
At the middle of this linked page is a shot from a POTN member of a bicycle in motion: http://photo.stackexch​ange.com …ot-still-motion-portraits (external link)

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

TooManyHobbies
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 22, 2013 07:55 |  #12

I am hoping this is fixed in January with the new 2.0 firmware update. I switch to my 1DS when in studio.

~ Jeff

Canon EOS-1DX & 1Ds MkIII, 20D(IR), G12, G9, G5, ... Gear List
JMM Photography ~ Discovering Art in Everyday Lifeexternal link | Model Mayhem #675060external link

sponsored links

4,801 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 1DX and rear sync shooting
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.