Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 08 Dec 2013 (Sunday) 15:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Kingston Compact Flash Card

firme
304 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 08, 2013 15:08 |  #1

Hello everyone currently have a 4gb and 2gb compact flash. But have been wanting to purchase a much higher capacity card as when I shoot raw and jpg I get limited pictures with the cards I currently have. Been looking on getting a 16gb compact flash and saw this one http://www.adorama.com​/KGCF16GBU2.html (external link). Is this card descent? Is this worth getting? Thank you in advanced.

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,435 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 08, 2013 18:52 |  #2

What camera are you using this card with? A 16 gb card for $20 is a deal. I do note the "cons" at the bottom, reads/writes slow.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Dec 08, 2013 19:05 |  #3

I've had more Kingston cards fail than all other brands combined (well, 2 of 3 Kingstons failed; then I stopped buying them; only had 1 SanDisk die out of maybe 50, and they replaced that).

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

HuskyKMA
"Now what?"
1,749 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 09, 2013 01:08 |  #4

I second Jon's opinion, I only use SanDisk cards anymore. I had a Kingston fail once and some other brand I can't remember. Never had a failure with a SanDisk.

Canon 40D w/ BG-E2N Grip| 400mm f/5.6L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Gitzo GT3541LS w/ RRS BH-55

GeminiZ
179 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 09, 2013 16:20 |  #5

I have a 7D and use two - 32GB Kingston CF cards for wedding videos for the past two years. They haven't failed me once.

7D, 400D - 24-70 f/2.8L - 70-200 f/2.8L - 50 f/1.2L - 40 f/2.8 - 10-22 f/3.5

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
304 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 11, 2013 09:55 |  #6

I am using a Canon XTI. Are there any other reliable brands out there? I don't mind buying a SanDisk but if I can get another brand and much lower price than I'll rather go that route instead.

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 11, 2013 11:11 |  #7

I've used Kingston brand SD cards (not CF) for at least 10 years with no failures at all. I would not hesitate to buy Kingston.

My go-to brand these days is Lexar, due to local store convenience. I will buy Sandisk, but only when on sale (like Canon, they think too dearly of their brand name, IMO).

A lot of members here speak well of Transcend, but I had my one-and-only Transcend fail. (A sample of 1 is useless, but there it is anyway...)

If you buy SanDisk, buy from a reputable retailer only... DO NOT buy from ebay. SanDisk is the most commonly counterfeited brand out there (related directly to their high price, IMO ... gives the counterfeiters lots of room to make money).

Tom

NU27D
464 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 11, 2013 20:23 |  #8

firme wrote in post #16511452 (external link)
Hello everyone currently have a 4gb and 2gb compact flash. But have been wanting to purchase a much higher capacity card as when I shoot raw and jpg I get limited pictures with the cards I currently have. Been looking on getting a 16gb compact flash and saw this one http://www.adorama.com​/KGCF16GBU2.html (external link). Is this card descent? Is this worth getting? Thank you in advanced.

The Kingston card you've linked is a good one and at a hot price. I've got one and have absolutely NO problems with it for 2 years+. I've used Kingston,Transcend,Win​tec and Sandisk.....all without issue.
It should be a great choice for you intended use.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
304 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 13, 2013 12:18 |  #9

Thanks guys for the opinion and suggestions. Sure has helped me alot. I understand everyone has different experiences that others may not have with particular brands. Yes I have read about fake SanDisk.

midget
511 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 13, 2013 13:45 |  #10

I've actually got three of those cards. Not blazing fast, or really fast at all, but they've been reliable for me. If you don't need your card to clear the camera's buffer too quickly in terms of write speed and are on a budget, I would recommend it.

40d + 50mm f1.8 MK I + my feet.

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 13, 2013 16:56 |  #11

Lexar pro here ... never any issues

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 13, 2013 19:14 |  #12

Hmmm the only card that failed on me was Sandisk Extreme. I have 2 Kingston cards, one is the 16Gb 200x and it works great in 1DII, 1ds, 1D3 and now 5D3.

My main CF cards are Transcend 32GB and Sandisk Extreme Pro 16GB and the Kingston is back up but I don't hesitate to use it. Never gives me any issue.

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

KSG ­ Photography
342 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 14, 2013 17:01 |  #13

I've used Sandisk in the past, had two fail on me - I doubt there'll be any brand which hasn't failed on someone, somewhere at some point in time. I've used Kingston for the last three years with no issues. The one you linked to is the same ones I have in my cameras and they cope great for everything from weddings to mountain bike races and martial arts events.

2x 7d, EOS 3 film body, G15, X-Pro1 with 18mm f2, 35mm f1.4 & 60mm f2.4 macro, Kiev rangefinder with 50mm lens. 70-200 f4L, 17-40 f4 L, 50mm f2.5 macro, nifty fifty, 20-40 EX HSM, Samyang 85mm f1.4, Rokinon 8mm f3.5, 2x Fuji X-Pro1, Fuji XF 18mm f2, 35mm f1.4, 60mm f2.4 macro, 3x Yongnuo 560 II, 540EZ, Phottix Strato 2 wireless triggers, extension tubes, Manfrotto 055 tripod, manfrotto monopod.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
304 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 16, 2013 09:44 |  #14

The writing and reading speed is something I can deal with. Thanks guys for the help. This will help me for sure. Now I don't have to worry about changing my cards as I did with my 4gb and 2bg or being stuck shooting in jpg only. Finally can shoot in raw without worrying how many pictures I can get out of my 4 or 2.

madasax
509 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Dec 19, 2013 13:02 |  #15

I have a Lexar Platinum II 8gig - Kingston 8gig - and a cheap transend that came with my 7D - Currently the Lexar is used in the Camera and the others are in the bag empty for backups.

Current Gear: 70D - Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 - 24 2.8stm - 50 1.8 stm -

sponsored links

2,667 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kingston Compact Flash Card
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.