Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Dec 2013 (Thursday) 10:52
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "What IS that?!"
I've always wondered that!
62.5%
Huh! Never noticed it before.
37.5%

16 voters, 16 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is that black dot on the front of DSLR cameras?

jwildman16
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 19, 2013 10:52 |  #1

I have a Nikon D40 and just got a Canon 6D. I've always wondered - what is that little black dot that is on the front of most DSLR cameras? Both of my cameras have it, but not all do. I've always seen it sit right under the forefinger, which I think would be an odd place to put it if it were, for example, where the plastic was injected. Any idea what it is??

See it circled in red in the attached picture.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
lilkngster
727 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 19, 2013 10:55 |  #2

i believe that is for IR remote controls

6dII/1dIII|Bronica Sq-Ai/EOS 3/A1

jwildman16
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 19, 2013 10:56 |  #3

lilkngster wrote in post #16539775 (external link)

Ohhhh! I guess I assumed that was housed within the AF illuminator for some reason.

paddler4
Goldmember
1,325 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 19, 2013 10:57 as a reply to  @ lilkngster's post |  #4

your manual should have a diagram near the front that explains what everything is on the camera. I have had three Canon digital bodies, and all three manuals had that. Doesn't your manual have this?

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

jwildman16
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 19, 2013 10:58 |  #5

lilkngster wrote in post #16539775 (external link)

Well that took about four seconds to solve. You could have at least waiting a couple minutes to make me believe you had to think about it a little... ;) LOL

caoko
260 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 19, 2013 10:58 |  #6

jwildman16 wrote in post #16539779 (external link)
Ohhhh! I guess I assumed that was housed within the AF illuminator for some reason.

canons don't have a built in AF assist lamp like the Nikons.

jwildman16
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 19, 2013 11:02 |  #7

paddler4 wrote in post #16539781 (external link)
your manual should have a diagram near the front that explains what everything is on the camera. I have had three Canon digital bodies, and all three manuals had that. Doesn't your manual have this?

I don't actually have the new camera yet, but I looked up the manual online and you were right. Thanks!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

jwildman16
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 19, 2013 11:04 |  #8

caoko wrote in post #16539789 (external link)
canons don't have a built in AF assist lamp like the Nikons.

Good to know. I see that's just a self timer lamp on this camera. I'm excited to get familiar with 6D!

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 19, 2013 13:30 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Heart rate monitor

NWPhil
442 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 19, 2013 13:42 |  #10

CanonVsNikon wrote in post #16540211 (external link)
Heart rate monitor

Shutter blocker - if you place your indicator there, instead of in the shutter button, it won't take a picture

NWPhil
Editing Image OK
GEAR

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 19, 2013 14:48 |  #11

My body doesn't have that(OK 5DIII does as well as my previous 5DII and 300D).

The missing remote sensor was the only thing I didn't like about my upgrade from the 300D to 30D, I really enjoyed using my RC-1 for selfie-group shots. I was glad to get it back with my 5Ds, but don't really miss it on the 1D(at most I'd normally only use my RT system for multiple body tethered shooting).

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,941 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 19, 2013 17:29 |  #12

lovemyram4x4 wrote in post #16540431 (external link)
My body doesn't have that(OK 5DIII does as well as my previous 5DII and 300D).

The missing remote sensor was the only thing I didn't like about my upgrade from the 300D to 30D, I really enjoyed using my RC-1 for selfie-group shots. I was glad to get it back with my 5Ds, but don't really miss it on the 1D(at most I'd normally only use my RT system for multiple body tethered shooting).

The assumption is that snapshooters with nnnD cameras (and now also) 6D cameras will use IR remotes, whereas 'more advanced' users will use radio remotes with longer distances possible and increased reliability on bright sunlight.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,917 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 19, 2013 17:59 |  #13

CanonVsNikon wrote in post #16540211 (external link)
Heart rate monitor

that's what THEY want you to believe. THEY deliberately fed that misinformation out to the masses to conceal the true nature of the mysterious black dot.

In reality, the mysterious black dot is to first check the DNA of the camera owner, and second to be used as a secret camera that sends images of everything it sees plus GPS data to the reptilian overlord shape-shifters who live underground.

a bit of gaffers tape will take care of it.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Nick3434
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 19, 2013 18:02 |  #14

hes gone wrote in post #16540890 (external link)
=he's gone;16540890]that's what THEY want you to believe. THEY deliberately fed that misinformation out to the masses to conceal the true nature of the mysterious black dot.

In reality, the mysterious black dot is to first check the DNA of the camera owner, and second to be used as a secret camera that sends images of everything it sees plus GPS data to the reptilian overlord shape-shifters who live underground.

a bit of gaffers tape will take care of it.

This is completely wrong and will mislead people here looking for real information. The reptilians are known as Biaviian and not underground. They are pulling The strings of earth from a distant planet. O-Qua Tangin Wann.

Everything is relative.
Gear: 6D, Unholy Trinity:twisted: (24Lii, sigma 50A, 135L), and for the other ends of the spectrum, sigmaEX 14mm2.8 and sigmaEX 100-300F4.
Fuji X-e2, Rokinon 8 2.8 Fisheye II, Fuji 14 2.8, Fuji 18-55, Fuji 23 1.4
FlikR (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 19, 2013 18:44 |  #15

Nick3434 wrote in post #16540899 (external link)
This is completely wrong and will mislead people here looking for real information. The reptilians are known as Biaviian and not underground. They are pulling The strings of earth from a distant planet. O-Qua Tangin Wann.

Congratulations, you have just won the online lottery! Please expect your "prize" to be delivered at 4pm tomorrow. Be at home. Alone.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

sponsored links

2,855 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is that black dot on the front of DSLR cameras?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.