Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 19 Dec 2013 (Thursday) 20:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which Black Rapid?

SunTsu
Goldmember
1,591 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 19, 2013 20:20 |  #1

I looked online for a Black Rapid selector tool, but couldn't find any. I looked on YouTube and couldn't find many reviews comparing the different models.

I have a "normal" strap today (UpStrap) which I love, but have noticed that when chasing my kids, it's a bit difficult around my neck or shoulder because it slips or falls forward. I'd like to give one of these sling straps a try, but can't decide which one.

Can anyone provide a summary of the models? I seem to be leaning towards the curved strap only because I see so many regretful comments about the RS-4.

Canon 5D Mark II+BG-E6, Canon 5D+BG-E4 | 200-400mmL IS, 85mm F1.2L II, TS-E 17mm F4.0L , 16-35mm F2.8L II, 24-105mmL IS, 70-200mm [COLOR=#000000]F2.8L II IS, 100mm F2.8L Macro IS, 100mm F2.8 Macro, 40mm F2.8, 1.4x II, 2.0x III | EF12+25 II | Canon 600EX-RT (x5) | Gitzo support
Full Gear List

sponsored links
douglas ­ frost
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 19, 2013 20:31 |  #2

i've been using the sport for almost three years and love it! the curved shoulder pad sits comfortably and doesn't slide. i can walk around for a day with a 1dx and zoom hanging off it and not have any pain at the end of the day.

SunTsu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,591 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 19, 2013 20:33 |  #3

douglas frost wrote in post #16541231 (external link)
i've been using the sport for almost three years and love it! the curved shoulder pad sits comfortably and doesn't slide. i can walk around for a day with a 1dx and zoom hanging off it and not have any pain at the end of the day.

Thanks. I've read a few people say that the security cross strap isn't necessary. What's your take on that?

Canon 5D Mark II+BG-E6, Canon 5D+BG-E4 | 200-400mmL IS, 85mm F1.2L II, TS-E 17mm F4.0L , 16-35mm F2.8L II, 24-105mmL IS, 70-200mm [COLOR=#000000]F2.8L II IS, 100mm F2.8L Macro IS, 100mm F2.8 Macro, 40mm F2.8, 1.4x II, 2.0x III | EF12+25 II | Canon 600EX-RT (x5) | Gitzo support
Full Gear List

ten31
120 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 19, 2013 20:42 |  #4

This one. http://www.blackrapid.​com/products/sport-kit (external link)

The strap that goes under the arm is super effective at keeping the camera where you want it, which IMO is the whole point of being able to lock the camera in a certain place. What good does it do to lock it by your hip when it's not in use, if when you bend down to care for your child, the whole strap assembly rotates? I recently had my 6d and 24-105 swing forward and catch my kid on the forehead because I was being lazy and only clipping the strap when I felt it might be needed.

That said, forgot going sleeveless or shirtless with that security strap. Irritation city.

All in all, I love my BR. I do wish certain things were beefier or less proprietary and I've created a neat tether in case operator error ever led to BR hardware failure. I would be happy to post pics of that if you want.

I am not affiliated with BR.

Canon EOS 6D | 24-105mm f/4 IS USM | 85mm f/1.8 | 430EX II | Mefoto Roadtrip | RC6 remote

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,462 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 19, 2013 20:51 |  #5

I have the Cargo RS-5 and it's very nice.
http://www.blackrapid.​com/products/cargo (external link)

I do not have the additional strap (Brad) but am really considering it. The strap is a bit heavy and will creep forward a bit. I think once it's broken in it might be better.

I've been using a Crumpler wrist noose for the past month or so and kinda like it better.
http://www.crumpler.co​m/us/camera-bags-straps/noose (external link)

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

SunTsu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,591 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 19, 2013 20:57 |  #6

ten31 wrote in post #16541256 (external link)
This one. http://www.blackrapid.​com/products/sport-kit (external link)

The strap that goes under the arm is super effective at keeping the camera where you want it, which IMO is the whole point of being able to lock the camera in a certain place. What good does it do to lock it by your hip when it's not in use, if when you bend down to care for your child, the whole strap assembly rotates? I recently had my 6d and 24-105 swing forward and catch my kid on the forehead because I was being lazy and only clipping the strap when I felt it might be needed.

That said, forgot going sleeveless or shirtless with that security strap. Irritation city.

All in all, I love my BR. I do wish certain things were beefier or less proprietary and I've created a neat tether in case operator error ever led to BR hardware failure. I would be happy to post pics of that if you want.

I am not affiliated with BR.

Awesome. I'm likely to use an Arca QR plate with the BR screw so that I can quickly attach and release my tripod with my body and L-plate.

I have a bunch of straps in my cart and am slowly eliminating straps. You have me convinced to get rid of the ones without the safety strap because of the forehead story. I've got a big L-plate on all my bodies and have whacked my kids in the head as well (so try not to feel too badly).

I'd love to see the tether. I'm not sure if you're the fellow who posted the photo I saw earlier with the red string.

I am trying to buy from B&H to get the free 2 day air and I don't think they have that sport kit. :( The specs say it comes with a bean bag and the protect strap. Do you ever use your protect strap?

I've also read a few reviews of the Sport 1 vs the Sport 2 and am flipping back and forth. How do you like the size of the Sport 1?

Full Gear List

ten31
120 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 19, 2013 21:24 |  #7

Yup thats me with the red paracord and carabiner. I am not a wealthy man and this 6D was a quasi gift from my wife. I felt like I had to take some reasonable precaution. Opinions will differ on the tether. I have a 3 year old and a 4 year old. Things happen and the tether protects me from my own absent minded, kid focused thinking.

Canon EOS 6D | 24-105mm f/4 IS USM | 85mm f/1.8 | 430EX II | Mefoto Roadtrip | RC6 remote

TheycallmeLamy
73 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 20, 2013 20:29 |  #8

Been using the RS-7 Curve for about a year now and LOVE it!! Its extremely comfortable and doesnt dig into my shoulder at all like some of the cheaper straps. Heck even the stock strap that comes with our Cameras suck. This one has been worth every penny spent on it!
http://www.blackrapid.​com/products/curve (external link)

Canon 60d || EF-S 10-22 || Ʃ17-50 f/2.8 EX || Σ50-150 f/2.8 OSEX || Σ1.4x TC || Canon 420 EX || Canon 430 EXII ||ThinkTank Retrospective 7 || www.flickr.com/photos/​Mark_Lamy (external link)

Novy
46 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 26, 2013 15:34 |  #9

I've got the RS-4 and am happy with it for my main usage which is hiking.

mwierowski
38 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 27, 2013 07:42 |  #10

TheycallmeLamy wrote in post #16543682 (external link)
Been using the RS-7 Curve for about a year now and LOVE it!! Its extremely comfortable and doesnt dig into my shoulder at all like some of the cheaper straps. Heck even the stock strap that comes with our Cameras suck. This one has been worth every penny spent on it!
http://www.blackrapid.​com/products/curve (external link)

+1

I have been using the RS-7 w/ Brad, which is a similar setup to the Sport, for a couple years now. Last year I took a trip to Disney for a week and wore the strap all day, everyday with a gripped 7D and 24-105 all week. At the end of the week it was still comfortable to wear.

The Brad or underarm strap of the sport definitely makes a difference for all day wear.

-Mike
Gear | Photos (external link) | Twin Cities Camera Club (external link)

SoCalTiger
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 16, 2014 16:08 |  #11

ten31 wrote in post #16541256 (external link)
The strap that goes under the arm is super effective at keeping the camera where you want it, which IMO is the whole point of being able to lock the camera in a certain place.

I've been wondering about this. For me, when I go to the zoo or a theme park, I'm normally wearing a tank top (because I usually only go when it is hot) so it sounds like using the BRAD or Sport would not be a good option due to the rubbing/chaffing there.

So, if I do not use it, is there anyway to keep the camera behind my back when I bend over or just in general? I've read over a hundred reviews and some people say they have no problem keeping the camera behind them and others say it swings out super easily. Could you just sort of push the camera behind your back before you bend over to rest it there? Or is that not an option with this strap?

Laurence (external link) :: 6D + Lens

Mark_Mason
595 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 28, 2014 00:46 |  #12

SoCalTiger wrote in post #16611101 (external link)
I've been wondering about this. For me, when I go to the zoo or a theme park, I'm normally wearing a tank top (because I usually only go when it is hot) so it sounds like using the BRAD or Sport would not be a good option due to the rubbing/chaffing there.

So, if I do not use it, is there anyway to keep the camera behind my back when I bend over or just in general? I've read over a hundred reviews and some people say they have no problem keeping the camera behind them and others say it swings out super easily. Could you just sort of push the camera behind your back before you bend over to rest it there? Or is that not an option with this strap?

Yes, you can push it around behind your back, but if it comes swinging out its moving pretty quickly by the time it gets out front.

Canon Stuff

swoCanuk
308 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 02, 2014 12:53 |  #13

Can anyone tell me the difference between the "extreme sport"version that amazon is selling and the regular Sport1? There doesn't seem to be an extreme model on the BR site link posted previously. Maybe this is just a way of charging more for the "bonus plates" which are getting poor reviews.

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,137 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 02, 2014 16:39 |  #14

swoCanuk wrote in post #16728970 (external link)
Can anyone tell me the difference between the "extreme sport"version that amazon is selling and the regular Sport1? There doesn't seem to be an extreme model on the BR site link posted previously. Maybe this is just a way of charging more for the "bonus plates" which are getting poor reviews.

There is no Extreme. The strap is the sport but from the looks of it, that plate is completely different from what BlackRapid sells/offers. The screw on the plate isn't even BlackRapid because there's no BR logo.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22mm
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller | BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

swoCanuk
308 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 02, 2014 17:25 |  #15

Thanks. Some of the customer reviews say that the plate isn't a BR plate and that they were having problems with it not fitting properly. Maybe best to buy from B&H and know what your'e getting, but I do like the idea of using Op/Tech USA utility loop connectors with a carabiner for added security as suggested in the Black Rapid (nearly) disater thread.

sponsored links

3,999 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which Black Rapid?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.