Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Dec 2013 (Sunday) 15:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So is the 1Dx worth getting with all the on going problems ?

tomholman
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 09, 2013 18:12 |  #31

I own a 1DX and I refereed to the Mirror box issue in my post as the recall issue Canon had and that I sent my camera in to Canon to have checked. Canon has not ever really said what the issue was. I know I have no issues with my camera. SO notastockpickr I know you were not speaking about my post.

Tom
My Home (external link)
http://www.nthelight.c​om/ (external link)

sponsored links
notastockpikr
433 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 09, 2013 19:31 |  #32

tomholman wrote in post #16514659 (external link)
I own a 1DX and I refereed to the Mirror box issue in my post as the recall issue Canon had and that I sent my camera in to Canon to have checked. Canon has not ever really said what the issue was. I know I have no issues with my camera. SO notastockpickr I know you were not speaking about my post.

My post wasn't refering to your previous post at all.

The mirror lubrication was not considered a recall at all. The lubricaion was termed a Service Advisory and owners had the option to have the service performed or not. The service entailed a small drop of special lubricant at the corner of the mirror where it might touch a small plastic piece at the bottom of the mirror throw. The service seemed to be necessary for some 1Dx cameras.

As many internet forums have blown this all out of preportion with photo forums intimating that the !Dx has all kinds of issues and is plagued with problems. Based on mine and many more that I know about, there are no problems/issues. I can attest to this statement because I own a 1Dx and my 1Dx was part of the affected cameras described in the Service Advisory. As I have previously stated my 1Dx has had no issues with power on or off, AF, VF dust, oil splatter, err 80 msgs or anything.

tomholman
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 09, 2013 20:41 |  #33

notastockpikr wrote in post #16514819 (external link)
My post wasn't refering to your previous post at all.

The mirror lubrication was not considered a recall at all. The lubricaion was termed a Service Advisory and owners had the option to have the service performed or not. The service entailed a small drop of special lubricant at the corner of the mirror where it might touch a small plastic piece at the bottom of the mirror throw. The service seemed to be necessary for some 1Dx cameras.

As many internet forums have blown this all out of preportion with photo forums intimating that the !Dx has all kinds of issues and is plagued with problems. Based on mine and many more that I know about, there are no problems/issues. I can attest to this statement because I own a 1Dx and my 1Dx was part of the affected cameras described in the Service Advisory. As I have previously stated my 1Dx has had no issues with power on or off, AF, VF dust, oil splatter, err 80 msgs or anything.

Well, call it what you want, Canon calls it a Product Advisory, nice way of saying recall. Canon said "Potentially affected cameras will be inspected and repaired free of charge. If you own one of the potentially affected cameras please contact our Customer Support Center." I don't think squirting oil on the mirror would be called a repair. I know mine came back with just a note indicating it was not affected.

Don't get me wrong. I love my camera and I would not trade it, and yes I would buy it if I did not own it. BUT I can post plenty of images with lots of oil spots on my sensor, but nothing post did not take care of. I must say since mine went in for the Product Advisory the dirty sensor issue is not as big an issue. I did invest in a good cleaning kit though. Other than the oil issue mine has been fine. Great camera.

Tom
My Home (external link)
http://www.nthelight.c​om/ (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,926 posts
Gallery: 1738 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Dec 09, 2013 21:30 |  #34

Oil splatter may become more of a nuisance for landscape and portrait photographers. But then again, the 1DX, while capable of capturing great landscapes and portraits, was geared more towards sports/action, which more often requires shooting at high iso and wide-open apertures. The one exception that I can think of is if you're shooting airshows trying to capture propeller planes and helicopter blades.

I'm sure there may be a handful of other exceptions but I can't think of them at this time.

So I would say most of the time, the oil splatter isn't going to be that big of a deal. But for those who aren't comfortable cleaning their own sensors and/or often shooting with aperture closed down, I can see this as a thorn in their sides. :D

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Pete ­ W
Goldmember
1,325 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 18, 2013 11:07 |  #35

1Dx 1 year no issues fantastic camera, AF superb, features superb.... Did I say fantastically Superb Camera......:)

All the best
Pete Woods LRPS QGP ASINWP
My Website (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,926 posts
Gallery: 1738 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Dec 18, 2013 11:34 |  #36

I think you forgot to mention that it's a superb camera. :lol:

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

N2bnfunn
758 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 18, 2013 12:24 |  #37

Dude don't what you are talking about. The 1DX is nothing but the truth I never had a problem with mine. NONE

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

General_T
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 18, 2013 13:27 |  #38

N2bnfunn wrote in post #16537134 (external link)
Dude don't what you are talking about. The 1DX is nothing but the truth I never had a problem with mine. NONE

I'll translate:

Dude!, I don't know what you are talking about! There is nothing wrong with the 1DX and I have never had a problem with mine!

:)

Canon 5D Mk III | 24-105 F4 L IS USM | 100 F2.8 L Macro IS USM | 70-200 MK II F2.8 L IS USM|580 EX II

PhotoGeek
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 18, 2013 13:30 |  #39

Pete W wrote in post #16536978 (external link)
1Dx 1 year no issues fantastic camera, AF superb, features superb.... Did I say fantastically Superb Camera......:)

It's also a superbly fantastic camera.

1DX, 1DIII, lenses, flashes, wires and stuff
http://jimlanterphotog​raphy.com (external link)

CaPpedDoG
202 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 18, 2013 14:14 |  #40

I bloody well hope there's no problems :) I just bought one. I took a shot to check the sensor pretty much right away. It was pretty clean... 1 decent sized spec and a couple small ones... but was all good. I took another shot (@ 330 shots) and there's definitely more dust (oil?) Probably pretty normal for a new camera though.

N2bnfunn
758 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 18, 2013 23:23 |  #41

General_T wrote in post #16537313 (external link)
I'll translate:

Dude!, I don't know what you are talking about! There is nothing wrong with the 1DX and I have never had a problem with mine!

:)

LOL
I had a brain crap... thanks

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

SQZ
89 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 19, 2013 20:06 |  #42

Tens of thousands of photos in steaming hot and freezing weather.
No problems at all. I did get some oil splatter on the sensor, but canon cleaned it off.
It's a great camera with no equal.

BigSkyKen
128 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 19, 2013 21:48 |  #43

I've been playing with my brand new 1DX for a week now, and am really enjoying it. But it came with 7 big oil splatter spots on the sensor. I'm not switching to Nikon over it, but wouldn't you think that for nearly $7K....naw, that would be asking too much!

BigSkyKen
Wildlife & Nature Blog @ His Creation (external link)

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,785 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 19, 2013 23:43 |  #44

have you considered how much those oil spots are worth? Factory installed in a 7k camera...

Yeah, I'm jealous - I'd love one

Gear List

Candersson
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 20, 2013 12:57 as a reply to  @ smythie's post |  #45

Mine have been working perfectly for about 16 months now
EXCEPT
An issue I had the other month where it wouldn't start up when powered on.
The fix was to remove/insert the battery.... It went to the service shop and after a lot of research they erased/reloaded the internal memory (camera internal settings). After that it has worked without any hiccups :cool:

- Thomas -
1DX/1DIV/7D/5DmkII and Lenses | WWW (external link)
So much to learn, so little time...

sponsored links

14,757 views & 0 likes for this thread
So is the 1Dx worth getting with all the on going problems ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.