Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 20 Dec 2013 (Friday) 05:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrading...i do photo/video work

SillyGuy
929 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 20, 2013 05:53 |  #1

Hi all

I currently have a 3+ year old system.

i7 2600k
ASUS P8P67 DELUXE
16GB ram
NVIDIA Geforece GTX580
512GB OCZ Vertex4 HD
misc hard drives for storage
Corsair AX850 power supply

I do nearly all photo/video (using Adobe Premiere/photoshop/lig​htroom) editing on this thing.

I'd like to upgrade my system - what do you guys suggest I upgrade to? Or, should I just upgrade parts in my machine?

I have a budget of $1000-$2000.

I really want to get the new MacPro but I don't have $8k to spend!

Thanks!

My Website (external link) | My Blog (external link)

sponsored links
Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 20, 2013 07:01 |  #2

I don't exactly see why you would need to upgrade... an i7, 16GB ram, GTX580 and an SSD... that's already a notch above what I have in my mid-2011 iMac, except my CPU is 2.93ghz, and it does just fine with some pretty big images (panos, multiple layer composites) and basic HD video editing. I can possibly see you upgrading the GPU to a 780gtx, doubling up your ram, or upgrading (or overclocking) your cpu to a slightly faster model, but I'm not sure how much of a benefit that will be.

The new mac pro is easily overkill for what you want to do, unless you intend to run Premiere, PS and LR all at the same time, on three displays, all doing their own thing. A tricked-out configuration of the 6-core is $6,600, not $8k.

Can you elaborate exactly how you feel your current PC is stymying you?

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

SillyGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
929 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 20, 2013 12:02 |  #3

I guess it's because my system is never really stable...Blue screens and random resets.

I don't overclock at all either

And my USB 3.0 ports have never worked, no matter which drivers or bios I have installed

gotaudi
720 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 20, 2013 12:19 |  #4

SillyGuy wrote in post #16542533 (external link)
I guess it's because my system is never really stable...Blue screens and random resets.

I don't overclock at all either

And my USB 3.0 ports have never worked, no matter which drivers or bios I have installed

Either you have a hardware issue (probably a dying hard drive or bad ram) or you didn't setup your computer correctly software wise. your hardware is as good as a Mac if not better. I say you take some time to learn about your computer and maybe find out what the problem is. You learn something and you save some money win win for you. Macs have hardware/software problems too just as often as PC.

SillyGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
929 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 20, 2013 12:39 as a reply to  @ gotaudi's post |  #5

sad thing is...i used to be an IT Director....and I'd just rather pay someone to get a fully working computer. this tinkering business is for the college kids! haha :D

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 20, 2013 13:03 |  #6

It should be perfectly stable, I have something very similar. Suggest you just buy a prepackaged machine with an i7 4xxx processor, add your SSD and drives. Dell, HP, Lenovo, or custom build by a firm. Buying Dell/HP be wary of expandability and bays.

Or give that one to someone to diagnose the problem. It should still be pretty fast, it's almost identical to mine.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

OuttaCtrl
381 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 20, 2013 13:05 |  #7

What system monitoring tool and AV do you use. What version of Win OS are you running.

Cameras: 5D III Gripped | 1D MK 3 | 70D
Lens: 18-135 STM | 24-70 L MKII | 70-200 L IS MKII
PC: i7-3930K | 32GB Kingston Hyper-X | nVidia Quadro 4000 | Asus P9X79 Pro | 27" Samsung SA monitor | 34" LG 34UM95-P | Spyder 4 Elite

SillyGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
929 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 20, 2013 13:30 as a reply to  @ OuttaCtrl's post |  #8

i use win 7 64bit...no monitoring software :(

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 20, 2013 14:09 |  #9

You could run memtestx86, it's a free bootable CD that tests your RAM. After that prime95 (also free) can stress test the CPU and check it's calculating right. If they're both fine it's likely to be motherboard or power supply.

Check the warranty period, if they're within it just return motherboard, CPU, and RAM.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

OuttaCtrl
381 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 20, 2013 16:01 |  #10

SillyGuy wrote in post #16542718 (external link)
i use win 7 64bit...no monitoring software :(

I am going for a long shot here and that is not having any system monitoring software may have contributed to you having an unstable system.

Cameras: 5D III Gripped | 1D MK 3 | 70D
Lens: 18-135 STM | 24-70 L MKII | 70-200 L IS MKII
PC: i7-3930K | 32GB Kingston Hyper-X | nVidia Quadro 4000 | Asus P9X79 Pro | 27" Samsung SA monitor | 34" LG 34UM95-P | Spyder 4 Elite

1000arms
862 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 20, 2013 16:10 |  #11

The link is for an Adobe White Paper PDF regarding “Optimizing Hardware Systems for Adobe® Premiere® Pro CS6, After Effects® CS6, SpeedGrade™ CS6, and Photoshop® Extended CS6”.

http://www.adobe.com …erformance-whitepaper.pdf (external link)

Please note that there may be additional video cards supported since the paper’s release.

If you are using CS6, I suggest you look at the link. The link covers multiple drives and video card usage, among other things. Your current setup is pretty good (except for the instability).

renowilliams
33 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 20, 2013 16:34 |  #12

SillyGuy wrote in post #16541860 (external link)
Hi all

I currently have a 3+ year old system.

i7 2600k
ASUS P8P67 DELUXE
16GB ram
NVIDIA Geforece GTX580
512GB OCZ Vertex4 HD
misc hard drives for storage
Corsair AX850 power supply

I do nearly all photo/video (using Adobe Premiere/photoshop/lig​htroom) editing on this thing.

I'd like to upgrade my system - what do you guys suggest I upgrade to? Or, should I just upgrade parts in my machine?

I have a budget of $1000-$2000.

I really want to get the new MacPro but I don't have $8k to spend!

Thanks!

My system is nearly identical to yours with the exception I have the Asus Maximum Extreame Z motherboard. My cpu has been overclocked to 4.6 GHZ since new and working flawless. I have a closed looped watercooling system.

I agree to what others are saying, you need to figure out what is causing the blue screening issue. If you feel spending the time to figure it out is a waste of time, pay someone who knows what their doing. Frankly, I would rather spend $1,000-$2,000 budget on camera gear, but that ia just me.

Good luck

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 20, 2013 16:49 |  #13

OuttaCtrl wrote in post #16543082 (external link)
I am going for a long shot here and that is not having any system monitoring software may have contributed to you having an unstable system.

I don't think you're right there. System monitoring would usually make it worse, not better.

DiMAn0684
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 21, 2013 14:42 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #14

I have a system very similar to yours (i7 2600k w/Asrock Z77 board and 16GB of RAM) and I'll join others in this thread and recommend finding conflicting or problematic component(s). I used to have a good Gigabyte Z68 board that just didn't play nice with my OCZ SSD. I ended up getting a new board (mostly because I wanted on board USB 3.0 headers) and SSD issues went away. The Gigabyte board is working fine in someone else's system as well. Sometimes you have to put in some time to find incompatibilities in your system, but long term it will be well worth it.

Canon 5D MkII | Canon 16-35mm f/4 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon 24-105mm f/4 | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Canon 430EX II | Benro A2682TB1

SillyGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
929 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 21, 2013 15:39 |  #15

DiMAn0684, how is that asrock z77 board working out now? any issues?

sponsored links

3,927 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgrading...i do photo/video work
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.