Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Dec 2013 (Thursday) 15:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What are you guys using to show clients proofs?

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 12, 2013 15:54 |  #1

First time showing proofs, I have a few hundred for each look but plan to delete the blurry/out of focus ones. Still, it's a lot of photos. What service should I be using? Of course if its free thats even better. Should I first export them all from lightroom as low res? If so what res is recommended?

If possible I would like a service that allows ratings so I can see which ones the client gave 5 stars to to keep. Thanks.

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 13, 2013 06:30 |  #2

As to "free", umm, well...

But where are you located?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 15, 2013 12:20 |  #3

Online. I use Jalbum to put the pics up and they purchase what they want right from the Jalbum program so basically everything is cropped and worked on, so they are not proofs per say. On Jalbum I put the sizes and the cost of each size and they order what they want, the order goes thru paypal and paypal sends me an email with who made the purchase, their address, etc and how much they paid. But they do not need a paypal account to order, just a credit or bank card.
About 95% of the time I never see the couple or anyone affiliated with the wedding after it is over with. Everything else is done thru email and online.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 16, 2013 15:26 |  #4

Someone recently recommended the Proofbuddy plugin for Wordpress. I haven't used it... plan to give it a shot though.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 16, 2013 15:39 |  #5

How many shots are required for the finished product ? I would be reducing to a max of 2-3 versions of each shot.

I export at 900px long and use zenfolio, but I suppose flickr would work.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 21, 2013 04:27 |  #6

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #16532302 (external link)
How many shots are required for the finished product ? I would be reducing to a max of 2-3 versions of each shot.

I export at 900px long and use zenfolio, but I suppose flickr would work.

As to proofs, well, sure, if you're happy with zenfolio, sure, use it! Flickr does good as well! If you want clients to order to print, well, I figure you need a "Pro" account!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,239 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 21, 2013 14:36 |  #7

I would pretty much limit photos to the top 30-50 max (out of hundreds). If you can't make a solid visual statement in that many images you might want to think about taking a class or finding a different passion to pursue.

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 22, 2013 13:02 |  #8

Just a suggestion. Limit your proofs to the very very best of all of the shots. That is a LOT of stuff for a customer to look over and decide on and having too much to choose from can actually reduce your sales.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

thedcmule2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 22, 2013 13:03 |  #9

Okay great tips everyone thanks.

The client was there during the shoot so she definitely knows how many pictures there are. Do I still limit the proofs? Whats my explanation if they ask where the rest of the shots are?

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 22, 2013 14:22 as a reply to  @ thedcmule2's post |  #10

Yes. Tell them the multiple shots is simply to rule out blinks, motion blur, camera movement, and to vary the exposure. In the end, you are under no obligation whatsoever to provide every shot to a customer - unless you specifically been contracted to provide just that. Never, ever, let anyone see your crap. :-)

There are plenty of batch-renaming programs out there and the ability is built into many image editing programs as well. Separate all of the best from the rest, place the rest in a separate folder just in case you need raw material for retouching. Then rename all the rest in numerical order so that there are no missing numbers in between. Then there won't be any "missing" shots.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

sponsored links

1,209 views & 0 likes for this thread
What are you guys using to show clients proofs?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.