Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Dec 2013 (Saturday) 02:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ok folks, I am stumped!!!! Focus issue.

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 21, 2013 02:50 |  #1

I have been putting my new 6D through it's paces today. Testing it.
I will keep this brief, and simple. I have a eg-s screen in my 6D and have adjusted that setting in CN

Edited: Tested on both my 24L and my 50 1.4 at f 1.4 It is not a lens issue.

Then set on a tripod near minimum focal distance, AV mode, AF single shot, BBF, center point focus, the image in my viewfinder appears OOF, when I take the picture it is perfect on my LCD.

When I turn off AF and manual focus it, the image is tack sharp in my viewfinder, but the final image is OOF on my LCD.

It is not an AF issue, it is an issue comparing my viewfinder image with my final image taken.

I have already tried adjusting the tiny dial on the right of the viewfinder with no luck. It is not an AF issue and therefore, not a micro adjust issue.

The issue is what looks OOF on my eg-s screen is perfect and what look perfect on my eg-s viewfinder is actually OOF

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

sponsored links
gremlin75
Goldmember
2,725 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 21, 2013 03:16 |  #2

InfiniteDivide wrote in post #16544184 (external link)
I have already tried adjusting the tiny dial on the right of the viewfinder with no luck.

Well keep trying because what you're explaining is adjusted using the diopter (tiny dial on the right of the viewfinder)

Here are the instructions that I always use to adjust the diopter (From B&H Insight)

- Make sure your camera is off, and the lens and body cap are unscrewed.

- Point the camera up into the light and look through the viewfinder.

- While doing this, start to adjust your viewfinder. As you dial in the + or -, you'll start to see the focusing points become either blurry or sharper.

- When you believe that the focusing points are their sharpest, you've successfully calibrated your diopter. Now you can put your lens or body cap back on.

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 21, 2013 03:30 |  #3

Check that the focus screen is correctly installed and seated.

InfiniteDivide
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 21, 2013 03:33 |  #4

gremlin75 wrote in post #16544199 (external link)
Well keep trying because what you're explaining is adjusted using the diopter (tiny dial on the right of the viewfinder)

Here are the instructions that I always use to adjust the diopter (From B&H Insight)

- Make sure your camera is off, and the lens and body cap are unscrewed.

- Point the camera up into the light and look through the viewfinder.

- While doing this, start to adjust your viewfinder. As you dial in the + or -, you'll start to see the focusing points become either blurry or sharper.

- When you believe that the focusing points are their sharpest, you've successfully calibrated your diopter. Now you can put your lens or body cap back on.

Tried this, no luck, still all the way up (counter clockwise) is the best as before.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

InfiniteDivide
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 21, 2013 03:35 |  #5

xarqi wrote in post #16544214 (external link)
Check that the focus screen is correctly installed and seated.

Tried reseting my camera setting and my CN settings. Figured I may have enable some over correction element, still inconsistent.

I have taken about 12 shots last night without this issue WITH the screen installed. So I doubt it is that, but I'll recheck now. Thanks.

James Patrus

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 21, 2013 03:39 |  #6

InfiniteDivide wrote in post #16544219 (external link)
I have taken about 12 shots last night without this issue WITH the screen installed. So I doubt it is that, but I'll recheck now. Thanks.

If it wasn't initially seated properly, vibration from the mirror and shutter could have made it come loose and drop a bit. Maybe.

InfiniteDivide
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 21, 2013 03:47 |  #7

xarqi wrote in post #16544224 (external link)
If it wasn't initially seated properly, vibration from the mirror and shutter could have made it come loose and drop a bit. Maybe.

SUCCESS!!! :D I think it was seated properly, but there was a tiny speck of dust the size of a needle tip, didn't take a picture of it, but blew it off but I could see it when holding the screen to my ceiling light. Maybe it wasn't seated right either? It's insane that that could cause the screen to not work right. It wasn't even dust, it was a speck of a speck. And it could throw the whole system OOF. THANKS

James Patrus

InfiniteDivide
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 21, 2013 04:09 |  #8

Without starting a new thread, is there a 3D focus scale I could download print, and assemble myself?

James Patrus

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 21, 2013 05:05 |  #9

InfiniteDivide wrote in post #16544245 (external link)
Without starting a new thread, is there a 3D focus scale I could download print, and assemble myself?

If you're thinking about the thing I think your thinking about - search for TeamSpeed's posts and chack out his sig.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

EOS5DC
791 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 21, 2013 10:16 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

InfiniteDivide wrote in post #16544229 (external link)
SUCCESS!!! :D I think it was seated properly, but there was a tiny speck of dust the size of a needle tip, didn't take a picture of it, but blew it off but I could see it when holding the screen to my ceiling light. Maybe it wasn't seated right either? It's insane that that could cause the screen to not work right. It wasn't even dust, it was a speck of a speck. And it could throw the whole system OOF. THANKS

YOP! Oh, boy. Horton is going to be furious with you.

Bodies: 60D, 6D.
EFs: 15-85, 10-22
EF: 28-75, 35 f/2 IS, Σ70-200 OS, 100-400L
Flash: 580EX II, 430 EX II

Dlee13
Goldmember
3,883 posts
Gallery: 559 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 22, 2013 08:07 |  #11

InfiniteDivide wrote in post #16544184 (external link)
I have been putting my new 6D through it's paces today. Testing it.
I will keep this brief, and simple. I have a eg-s screen in my 6D and have adjusted that setting in CN

Edited: Tested on both my 24L and my 50 1.4 at f 1.4 It is not a lens issue.

Then set on a tripod near minimum focal distance, AV mode, AF single shot, BBF, center point focus, the image in my viewfinder appears OOF, when I take the picture it is perfect on my LCD.

When I turn off AF and manual focus it, the image is tack sharp in my viewfinder, but the final image is OOF on my LCD.

It is not an AF issue, it is an issue comparing my viewfinder image with my final image taken.

I have already tried adjusting the tiny dial on the right of the viewfinder with no luck. It is not an AF issue and therefore, not a micro adjust issue.

The issue is what looks OOF on my eg-s screen is perfect and what look perfect on my eg-s viewfinder is actually OOF

This somewhat sounds like an issue I had with my 6D. Every photo I took looked soft on the LCD screen but tack sharp through VF and in LR. I found the issue was an in camera setting, the "High Speed ISO NR" setting. It was set to standard and which smooths the images out so much they looked soft in the jpeg preview, once I set it to off I had no problems and the screen has displayed it properly since!

I hope this solves your problem.

Sony Alpha A7III - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS -
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon EF 11-22mm f/4-5.6 STM

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

n1as
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 22, 2013 08:14 |  #12

Dust keeping the AF screen from seating properly - yep that would do it.

Also, sometimes you need to shim the screen to get it into the right place. Canon has a shim kit (I think they call it a washer kit) that they sell for this purpose.

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,610 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ok folks, I am stumped!!!! Focus issue.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.