Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 22 Dec 2013 (Sunday) 07:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens Savvy

Waltdo
144 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 22, 2013 07:41 |  #1

For shooting wildlife and general outdoor shots with my 60D would I be smarter going to a Tamron 70-200 2.8 with teleconverter which I could also shoot indoors with out converter or going with a canon 100-400 L to get the best and sharpest images.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,135 posts
Gallery: 1603 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 22, 2013 08:03 |  #2

Heya,

400L.

Don't get teleconverters unless you want slower glass and less sharpness. Get a lens that works the focal length you need without a teleconverter. Get a teleconverter only if there's no possible way to get a full length lens. Even then, I'd still try to avoid teleconverters.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 22, 2013 08:06 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #3

I agree with MalVeauX.

IMO the 100-400L would be more versatile than the 400L. Other than that (and IS) the 400L.

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

n1as
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 22, 2013 08:19 |  #4

For wildlife, you'll find the 100-400L is always at 400mm. For that reason, the 400mm f/5.6L (400L) is a better choice - BUT - the 400L does not have IS so you'll have to do things to control camera shake if you want good results.

Optically the 400L is a better lens than the 100-400L. I ended up going from the 400L to the 100-400L simply because I am shooting outdoor sports and needed the zoom more than the slightly better IQ.

For general outdoor shots the 70-200 f4L IS is a better lens than the Tamron (see the-digital-picture.com review of the Tamron) and will cost you less $.

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 22, 2013 08:21 |  #5

^^ That. And if you want a 400 prime you can carry, try the 400 DO. I own it, and the 100-400.

The 100-400 at 400 is excellent, and much cheaper than the DO.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

616 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens Savvy
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.