Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 22 Dec 2013 (Sunday) 08:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help me find a messenger bag...

NotBlake
212 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 22, 2013 08:09 |  #1

... that will fit my kit in this configuration. I don't want to stack lenses, so the interior space is going to need to have 3 vertical dividers and be at least 16.5 inches wide by the looks of it. I don't expect height or depth to be an issue.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
hawkan
73 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 22, 2013 08:51 |  #2

Have a look at Think Tank. I own the Retrospective 10 and I imagine that would fit, although it may be tight. I am very pleased with my bag.

DaveKosiba
597 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 22, 2013 09:08 |  #3

I've not seen any messenger bags with four compartments all in a row, they all seem to be designed with three compartments of various sizes.

I know I could fit what you are showing in my Crumpler 5MDH, if you wanted a little extra room you could go 6MDH or 7MDH.

Most likely, if you want to fit that equipment, I would suggest putting the small lens in the same middle compartment with the body+lens (with a small protective divider), this will give you a bag that is more compact and efficient for its size.

If you find a 4 compartment-in-a-row messenger bag, it will be so wide you most likely would not like carrying it.

EOS 6D MkII, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 85 1.8, 70-200L f/4 IS, 16-35 f/4L IS, 430 EXII, Luma Cinch Strap

NotBlake
THREAD ­ STARTER
212 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 22, 2013 09:17 |  #4

Yeah I know I could easily stack the two primes in most 3-slot bags, but as they are my two most used lenses, they really need their own homes.

I finally think I found one, though. The Tamrac Rally 7: http://www.tamrac.com/​products/rally7/ (external link)

It's only 1/2 an inch narrower than my needed dimension, and I think that I can make it work. I'll let you guys know what I find.

DaveKosiba wrote in post #16546689 (external link)
I've not seen any messenger bags with four compartments all in a row, they all seem to be designed with three compartments of various sizes.

I know I could fit what you are showing in my Crumpler 5MDH, if you wanted a little extra room you could go 6MDH or 7MDH.

Most likely, if you want to fit that equipment, I would suggest putting the small lens in the same middle compartment with the body+lens (with a small protective divider), this will give you a bag that is more compact and efficient for its size.

If you find a 4 compartment-in-a-row messenger bag, it will be so wide you most likely would not like carrying it.

ArisPhoto
63 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 22, 2013 09:17 |  #5

With your kit, I would take a look at the Think Tank Retrospective 7 ...
or if you want more room, maybe the Think Tank Retrospective 30.

Ari (external link)
Website (external link) |Facebook (external link)

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 22, 2013 15:36 |  #6

Medium informant is 18 wide on the exterior.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …rmant_camera_sl​ing_m.html (external link)

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 22, 2013 16:24 |  #7

My crumpler 7 MDH would fit it all without stacking and leave room for another lens. I have mine set up to store two lenses (or one with a flash) on each side and then the camera in the middle with a lens mounted to the body,

Simalar to this one
http://www.cameramarke​t.com.au …ds/2010/08/bag_​opened.jpg (external link)

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 22, 2013 16:48 |  #8

I've got a bag sold by Patagonia. Do not get one of these, its a real POS.

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 22, 2013 17:38 |  #9

rick_reno wrote in post #16547549 (external link)
I've got a bag sold by Patagonia. Do not get one of these, its a real POS.

Patagonia stuff is pretty expensive and some of their designs aren't the greatest, but if you contact them and explain your problem, it's very likely that they'll make you happy.

I had a large duffel bag that was about four years old before one of the zippers got stuck from salt air corrosion. I sent it in hoping for a free repair and they sent me a brand new $150 bag. They really try to do right by their customers.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

jrscls
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 23, 2013 21:55 |  #10

I was recently at B&H, and they helped me find a messenger bag for my 6D and a few lenses plus flash. I left with a Tenba DNA 11, which is a great looking bag. There is also a DNA 15, which is a bit larger.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …es&sts=ma&Top+N​av-Search= (external link)

Fujifilm X-T3, 16mm f/1.4, 23mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4, 56mm f/1.2, 80mm f/2.8 OIS Macro, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 OIS, 1.4x TC, Flashpoint R2 Strobes/Flashes

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,611 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined May 2010

Dec 23, 2013 22:56 |  #11

ArisPhoto wrote in post #16546706 (external link)
With your kit, I would take a look at the Think Tank Retrospective 7 ...
or if you want more room, maybe the Think Tank Retrospective 30.

I have the 7 and 30. With 3 extra lenses the 30 is probably a better choice but the 30 is also deeper with a thicker strap so the 7 feels very sleek in comparison. I like both a lot and you can always add a pouch to the side strap of either for more storage.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

LostArk
417 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 23, 2013 23:17 |  #12

First time I used a messenger bag for a gig (read: many hours), the next day I had a back spasm so bad I couldn't walk for three days. I shrugged it off, no pun intended, to coincidence. Next time I used a messenger bag for a gig, the next day I had a back spasm so bad I couldn't walk for two days. Only two times in my life I've ever had back spams. Now I only use backpacks no matter what. I'm a young, strong guy. No idea why messenger bags are so popular for photo gear. They are back-ravaging torture devices.

www.unknoahble.com (external link)

wookiee2cu
614 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 25, 2013 00:17 |  #13

If your not going to be able to set the bag down then honestly a messenger bag is not the way to go, it just does not offer enough support and your back will be feeling it the next day. I would either look at some sort of sling bag or a backpack. I have a thinktank retro 30, packed canon 5D MIII, 70-200, 100-400 and 24-70. My back started hurting about 4 hours in with minimal walking around and I had it slung behind me so it was resting against my back.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Dec 25, 2013 09:37 |  #14

If you're not going to be able to set the bag down, a backpack is the wrong way to go - you won't be able to get at what's in it without a great deal of effort. I've been using shoulder bags for 40 years and haven't had back problems. Usually I have two bodies and two lenses out, ready to use, so the bag isn't heavy.

OP - if it weren't too deep for the gear you're planning to carry, I'd suggest a Domke F-802 satchel with a couple of the 720-226 inserts (which are designed for a shallower bag than the F-802). The bag proper is deep enough to accept up to the 70-200 with attached body (with the 720-230 insert), which is why you might find it too deep for your kit.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links

2,762 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help me find a messenger bag...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.