Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 Nov 2012 (Thursday) 21:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best way to clean lenses?

6-string59
68 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 22, 2013 10:44 as a reply to  @ post 16545080 |  #31

Hi everyone. Just wanted to thank you all for your replies. very helpful. so I went to my camera shop, and got a microfiber cloth/solution kit, and was able to get the nasty streaks and fisheyes of the two affected lenses. It did take a little work, and after a while it finally came off, but totally worth the time. I was really concerned the "Zeiss" cloths did some coating damage. Needless to say I've tossed them. Wilt, it really surprises me that a reputable camera shop would sell those products, but they seem to be everywhere. You'd think that Zeiss would have contacted that devision selling them and put a stop to seeling them for camera care. The only reason I got them was because of some stubborn water spots/rings on a couple lenses. otherwise, it's just a microfiber cloth, or lens tissue, and Tiffen, or Kodak solution at most.
Again, I can't thank you all enough!:D
Shane

sponsored links
daleg
688 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 22, 2013 12:59 |  #32

homemade "KISS" solution:

50% distilled water
50% isopropyl alcohol

add to small spray bottle, shake and spray on clean microfiber cloth. for obvious reasons, do not spray directly on lens. will also clean monitors, eyeglasses, TVs, etc.

WhidbeyHiker
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 22, 2013 13:12 |  #33

Dishwasher with spot free detergent.

I use a rocket blower and keep Zeiss lens cleaning wipes handy. The microfiber wipes concern me because they do hold on to the dirt.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 22, 2013 13:25 |  #34

daleg wrote in post #16547133 (external link)
homemade "KISS" solution:

50% distilled water
50% isopropyl alcohol

add to small spray bottle, shake and spray on clean microfiber cloth. for obvious reasons, do not spray directly on lens. will also clean monitors, eyeglasses, TVs, etc.

100% agree. The iPA can be bought cheaply from Amazon.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

WhidbeyHiker
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 22, 2013 14:11 |  #35

hollis_f wrote in post #16547184 (external link)
100% agree. The iPA can be bought cheaply from Amazon.

What percentage of alcohol?

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 22, 2013 14:16 |  #36

WhidbeyHiker wrote in post #16547272 (external link)
What percentage of alcohol?

Close to 100% (external link)

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.

johnnysart
194 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 24, 2014 23:48 |  #37

Subscribed. Thanks for the tips everybody.

EOS5DC
791 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 25, 2014 00:53 |  #38
bannedPermanent ban

Muriatic acid and 40-grit emery cloth.

Bodies: 60D, 6D.
EFs: 15-85, 10-22
EF: 28-75, 35 f/2 IS, Σ70-200 OS, 100-400L
Flash: 580EX II, 430 EX II

tickerguy
595 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 25, 2014 08:52 |  #39

Hollis has it right, but there's no need for the distilled water.

91% Isopropyl alcohol is the "go-to" stuff to clean glass surfaces. It also will not damage electronics (e.g. contacts, etc) and is what I use to clean flux and similar off very delicate surface-mount boards when reworking them, as a flush to drive water out of anything that gets wet that shouldn't and similar. Beware that it is flammable, including the vapors and evaporates quickly; for a number of years it was fairly hard to get and you sometimes had to ask for it because crack heads were using cotton balls soaked in it and lit as a heat source (yeah, really) but the last 5ish years it has shown back up out in the open, even at places like WalMart in their pharmacy area.

It's inexpensive and is the "right stuff." Put the alcohol on the cloth, not directly on the lens. That and a microfiber cloth or lens tissue paper (made specifically to clean lenses) will do the job for smudges and such. Just always be careful not to grind anything hard (e.g. sand, etc) into the glass surfaces. That's the risk with microfiber cloths; they pick up and hold things, and if it's grit and you rub it on the surface, well.... I keep a small bottle of 91 Isopropyl in my day bag and a few new, in-package microfiber cloths "just in case."

BTW it works really well on your LCD computer monitor too and is safe there as well.

Canon 7D & 5d3, EF-S 15-85, 24-105L, 70-200L f/4 IS, 100mm Macro/L, EF 50 f/1.4 and more

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jan 25, 2014 09:11 |  #40

tickerguy wrote in post #16635443 (external link)
Just always be careful not to grind anything hard (e.g. sand, etc) into the glass surfaces. That's the risk with microfiber cloths; they pick up and hold things, and if it's grit and you rub it on the surface, well.... I keep a small bottle of 91 Isopropyl in my day bag and a few new, in-package microfiber cloths "just in case."

As stated in post #16, a good squeeze-bulb blower and possibly a very soft brush are very important tools for the first stages of cleaning a lens. ALL particulate matter should be removed before doing any wiping if at all possible.

If you cannot remove particulate matter with a blower or a brush, use VERY LIGHT strokes with a dampened lens tissue (or a CLEAN microfiber cloth). This means that the only pressure between the tissue and the glass is due to the slight stiffness of the tissue and not your fingers pushing it onto the glass.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

EOS5DC
791 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 25, 2014 09:17 |  #41
bannedPermanent ban

Seriously, I have been cleaning lenses with breath-fog and a T-shirt for 40 years. If they get stubborn fingerprints (or noseprints), I use any soft-cloth and a dab of Windex or 1:8 vinegar water. I have yet to scratch a lens.

Bodies: 60D, 6D.
EFs: 15-85, 10-22
EF: 28-75, 35 f/2 IS, Σ70-200 OS, 100-400L
Flash: 580EX II, 430 EX II

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 25, 2014 12:12 |  #42

tickerguy wrote in post #16635443 (external link)
Hollis has it right, but there's no need for the distilled water.

It depends just on what you're cleaning. Yes, it's often best to use it neat when you're trying to remove water or you're cleaning off oily stuff. But lenses are often contaminated with inorganic, polar, stuff - like salt. For that you really want something more polar than the neat alcohol, which is why I use a diluted for for cleaning lenses.

For preparing arrows for fletching I'll use it neat.

Rittrato
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 25, 2014 12:14 |  #43

I find lens pen very handy.

eddie3dfx
486 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 25, 2014 12:37 as a reply to  @ post 15199717 |  #44

Zeiss wipes seem to work really well and they are cheap!

Canon 6D, Canon L 24-105, Zeiss Distagon 28mm 2.8, Planar 50mm 1.4, Planar 85mm 1.4, Sonnar 135mm 2.8 & Zeiss Mutar 2x, Canon 50mm 1.8
http://www.edwinraffph​otography.com/ (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,832 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 25, 2014 12:41 |  #45

Yep can get boxes of the Zeiss wipe on the cheap in pharmacy are of Walmart were reading glasses and contact lens care products are sold. Keep a handful in you camera bag, vehicle, work bench....etc.

If an emergency, you can also use them to clean wounds...yes it will hurt like hell.

sponsored links

6,126 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best way to clean lenses?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.