Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 18 Dec 2013 (Wednesday) 19:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Windows 7 Activation

Fligi7
966 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 22, 2013 20:40 |  #46

If you don't have the original version of Windows installed that is associated with the key on the computer, then you should have the key of the version that was installed written down or stored somewhere. If you never got it, you should have saved it somewhere before reinstalling that version as there's no way to retrieve after a full format and reinstall. At this point, you have the following options:

1) Purchase a key for the current version installed
2) Continue using it through the end of activation with the limitations
3) Install a different, free OS

So, it's just up to you what you want to do at this point. Lessons learned. You need to make sure you save the key prior to formatting next time. You should also have a copy of the current OS somewhere as a backup, with the associated key written on the CD or stored with it. You shouldn't purchase a computer through a reseller without a legitimate copy of an OS with a valid key. You should also not use other people's cd's to install a new OS that you know you don't have a valid key for and expect to find a way around it. Those days are over. Microsoft caught on to multiple OS installs with the same or "volume" keys. I know it's expensive, but that's just the way it is these days. Do it once and do it right and then you don't have to worry about it for a long time.

sponsored links
1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 22, 2013 20:51 |  #47

Pagman wrote in post #16547920 (external link)
Absolutly "my dear watson" thats very correct and 100% the problem, the sticker on my machine is an old sticker from when the machine was constructed and is even a different os from what i now have installed, since then it has probably had atleast 4 different verisons of windows in it, from xp to windows basic, to windows home premium now installed, and soon to have a full install of another version of premium but this time new/legit and with a disc and verified and activated.

P.

Don't get all mad, because people aren't offering up ways.. for you to "beat the system". Don't play the victim here. You gambled, and lost. Move on.

Kel
Gear

aphphoto
423 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 22, 2013 21:00 |  #48

1Tanker wrote in post #16547961 (external link)
Don't get all mad, because people aren't offering up ways.. for you to "beat the system". Don't play the victim here. You gambled, and lost. Move on.

Where on earth did you read the OP being mad or playing the victim? Seems to me he knew all along that what the shop did for him was a short-term fix and he doesn't seem to be crying about it. He didn't ask anyone to tell him how to defeat the activation or give him links to anything illicit or illegal so what's the problem? :rolleyes:
So much waffling on and speculation about what was really a pretty simple question and it took until post #39 until somebody gave the proper answer!

who gives a rat crap how much gear you can list?

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
I just hold the thing :-)
9,113 posts
Gallery: 2079 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 22, 2013 21:05 |  #49

1Tanker wrote in post #16547961 (external link)

Im not mad kel, just telling a story that happened to me by being to gullable and trusting the "small shops" mind you ive even been burned before by a Giant of a certain very large pc retail chain here in uk, no names but they scammed me with a broken screen they wouldnt reapir during its warranty.

P.

Some stuff.

WhidbeyHiker
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 22, 2013 21:06 |  #50

aphphoto wrote in post #16547991 (external link)
Where on earth did you read the OP being mad or playing the victim? Seems to me he knew all along that what the shop did for him was a short-term fix and he doesn't seem to be crying about it. He didn't ask anyone to tell him how to defeat the activation or give him links to anything illicit or illegal so what's the problem? :rolleyes:
So much waffling on and speculation about what was really a pretty simple question and it took until post #39 until somebody gave the proper answer!

The proper answer was buy a legitimate license, which was mentioned by multiple people throughout this thread. He was also told that windows would not lock him out, which also has been mentioned.

Actually I'm kind of disappointed that a thread concerning pirated software has lasted this long.

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
9,113 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 22, 2013 21:09 |  #51

"Hey im no pirate" "yo ho ho and a bottle of rum" "where me rum shipmates" lol

P.

Some stuff.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 22, 2013 21:30 |  #52

OK, gang, I believe a resolution has been reached (buy legit software), let's move on!!!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
9,113 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 22, 2013 21:30 |  #53

My problem is sorted im buying a Full version from a pc gurru friend in a few days, strait from microsoft with key and disc, so happy days.

Anyway Happy Holidays, Yule and Merry Christmas to all.

P.

Some stuff.

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 22, 2013 21:32 |  #54

Pagman wrote in post #16548064 (external link)
My problem is sorted im buying a Full version from a pc gurru friend in a few days, strait from microsoft with key and disc, so happy days.

Anyway Happy Holidays, Yule and Merry Christmas to all.

P.

Happy holidays!

Maybe you'll have a Win 7 CD under your tree. :lol:

Kel
Gear

Fligi7
966 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 22, 2013 21:35 |  #55

Airing of grievances achieved. It's a festivus miracle!

aphphoto
423 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 22, 2013 21:38 |  #56

WhidbeyHiker wrote in post #16548000 (external link)
The proper answer was buy a legitimate license, which was mentioned by multiple people throughout this thread. He was also told that windows would not lock him out, which also has been mentioned.

Actually I'm kind of disappointed that a thread concerning pirated software has lasted this long.

The correct answer to his question was that the computer begins shutting down every hour.
Luckily for all of us it's not up to you how long threads last around here!

aphphoto
423 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 22, 2013 21:40 |  #57

Fligi7 wrote in post #16548074 (external link)
Airing of grievances achieved. It's a festivus miracle!

LOL! :lol:

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 22, 2013 21:56 |  #58

MODERATION ADMONITION.

Too much talk about pirating software going on here. The next one to top make such a suggestion or anything similar will face disciplinary action.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 22, 2013 22:02 |  #59

Pagman wrote in post #16538214 (external link)
My laptop has no windows key due to a re-build and i have nearly used up the 30day grace period, does anyone know what will happen to my laptop after this and what will i loose use of?

P.

Pm sent.

sponsored links

4,964 views & 0 likes for this thread
Windows 7 Activation
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.