Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Dec 2013 (Thursday) 20:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fstoppers Flashdisc

LovebirdsPhotography
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 22, 2013 08:28 |  #16

I've been intersted in this ever since watching the DVD... what's the diameter on this thing? Any chance theres silver reflector material on the inside?

Not sure if I want one, or one of these instead: http://www.amazon.com …2&sr=1-1&keywords=smdv+40 (external link), it folds up pretty small as well.

Probably end up getting both lol.

I shoot Nikon... why the hell am I here ??? :lol:

sponsored links
agv8or
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 22, 2013 13:56 |  #17

LovebirdsPhotography wrote in post #16546620 (external link)
I've been intersted in this ever since watching the DVD... what's the diameter on this thing? Any chance theres silver reflector material on the inside?

Not sure if I want one, or one of these instead: http://www.amazon.com …2&sr=1-1&keywords=smdv+40 (external link), it folds up pretty small as well.

Probably end up getting both lol.

The Flashdisc has an effective diameter of 11 5/8". The flash extends into the disc 3" and then there is a 3 1/4"W X 2 5/8"H silver backed cloth, sewed into the front panel, to prevent a hotspot. The rear panel has a silver coating and the 2" wide cloth separating the rear and front panels is about a 2-3 stop white fabric which would permit a bit of bounce flash. The front panel is a 1 - 1 1/2 stop diffusion fabric. The Flashdisc only weighs 4 ounces.

Rand

Gear

LovebirdsPhotography
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 23, 2013 07:39 |  #18

Thanks for the info, sounds like they've got a real winner on their hands.

I shoot Nikon... why the hell am I here ??? :lol:

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 23, 2013 12:26 |  #19

3 for $100? Too expensive. Rogue's look too much light direct flash. I see no difference in this flash product than the betterbouncecard.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 23, 2013 12:37 |  #20

Shooting wrote in post #16549242 (external link)
3 for $100? Too expensive. Rogue's look too much light direct flash. I see no difference in this flash product than the betterbouncecard.

Depends on the distance (obviously). I use the large flashbender with the diffusion panel and it looks quite a bit better than a bare speedlight for headshots.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

smooth3000
Goldmember
1,520 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined May 2011

Dec 23, 2013 13:19 |  #21

Rogue has a panel you can put on the front of it to get diffused light.

Website (external link) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) |Instagram (external link)
D750

recyclemike
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 26, 2014 16:17 |  #22

Rand, Can you tell us of your overall impression of the flash disc. I've been considering purchasing the Rogue Flashbender XL, but I'm intrigued by the flash disc. Hoping they get some back in stock soon. IMHO, I wish they would also consider making an XL version of the flash disc. Something closer to 18" diameter.

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 26, 2014 16:28 |  #23

Was this a one-time limited run?

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 26, 2014 16:38 |  #24

Rand, loaned me one of his for some testing.
Here is what it looks like on a 600EX-RT on top of a 5DIII with ambient at least 2 stops below.
We were getting ready to do table shots. The model is one of my fellow photographers on this job.

As can be seen by the shape of the shadow under her chin, the biggest benefit is getting the light source well above the lens axis.

The fact that they have a block right at the point were the flash head ends inside is a plus for even light. Not my first choice for a modifier but it worked well for the table shots.

It also worked well for small product photography, which was one of my primary interests, and I think that's why Rand got them to begin with.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

agv8or
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 26, 2014 23:32 |  #25

recyclemike wrote in post #16719973 (external link)
Rand, Can you tell us of your overall impression of the flash disc. I've been considering purchasing the Rogue Flashbender XL, but I'm intrigued by the flash disc. Hoping they get some back in stock soon. IMHO, I wish they would also consider making an XL version of the flash disc. Something closer to 18" diameter.

v35skyline wrote in post #16720006 (external link)
Was this a one-time limited run?

It was just a limited run initially to test the market but I would think as fast as the first batch sold out that they should be restocking and offering more for sale any day.

My overall impression is that it is well built and cleverly designed. It is small, light weight, fits easily into your pocket, and distributes light evenly but at the end of the day it is a 12" light source so it is not going to replace bounce flash or flash shot through an umbrella. As David pointed out my initial interest was in using it for tabletop product photography and also for some limited portrait work. I loaned one to David because he does a much better and more thorough job of putting together a review than I can but hopefully by next week I can contribute some comparison images.

Rand

Gear

tandemhearts
583 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Oct 14, 2014 06:25 |  #26

They're back. Available from Amazon. The price is now $50.

http://smile.amazon.co​m …ht-Softbox/dp/B00KHBZ85E/ (external link)

RandallB
325 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Oct 19, 2014 09:50 |  #27

I just received one of these yesterday and used it last night. I hate on camera flash but at weddings its needed. Used it for the dancing/partying part of the wedding and was pleasantly surprised. Not perfect but much better results than I expected.

It also gets alot of comments and questions from guests!

6D w/Vello grip, 650 w/Canon grip, 85 1.8, 16-35L, 40mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8 L Macro Broncolor Siros 400S
BOWIE RIP!

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 19, 2014 11:40 |  #28

I wonder how this compairs to a flash bender.

Anyone have both to do a quick comparison?

sponsored links

8,941 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fstoppers Flashdisc
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.