Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 22 Dec 2013 (Sunday) 14:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lenses for photojournalism in Shanghai?

Harpo63
265 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 22, 2013 14:19 |  #1

Ive been asked to go on a missions trip as a photographer/mechanic with a faith based NGO to Shanghai and its providence. Its with an organization that donates wheelchairs to disabled people in poor areas. Ill be photographing photojournalistic style most of the time and part of the time helping assemble/modify wheelchairs for distribution.

Trying to determine best set up to take with me. What I have that I could take is my 5D3, 50 1.4 & 24-105L. Also have a 600RT flash but will like to leave it home if I can. I believe we will be working outside most of the time, but some indoors. I have no idea what it might be like in Shanghai and its area related to taking camera equipment and how safe it is?

Another option is to pick up a 24-70 2.8 II as a one lens solution that would cover indoors and out.

Any thoughts?

5D3 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-70 f2.8 II L : 70-200 f2.8 II L : 50mm f1.4 : 600EX-RT

sponsored links
thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 22, 2013 14:32 |  #2

The 50 1.4 should be plenty, youre gonna want to be lightweight and low key. Sure carry the 24-70/105 if you have space but if you can shoot the prime I think youll have a great time. Plus indoors the f/1.4 is the way to go with the 5D3, the f/4.0 might be too slow but thats just my taste. Good luck.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,937 posts
Gallery: 1382 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 22, 2013 15:06 |  #3

Heya,

I would keep it simple. I'm sure people in need don't want obvious $5000+ equipment shoved in their face, for the rich world to then look at.

50mm f1.4, firing at f2~f4, high ISO, to keep shutter speed fast.

40mm f2.8 as a backup, if you have one or can get one.

A lot of photojournalistic photos are artistic. High contrast. Lots of background blur. Some with extreme focus (all in focus, f8~f11). Stuff that can be done in black & white for dramatic effect.

If you had access to a Rokinon 14mm f2.8, I'd take that too. Ultra wide angle would be very useful in such a place.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 22, 2013 19:00 |  #4

MalVeaux just want to say thats a great idea (the 14mm 2.8)...thats a great go-to lens and I love that the 5d3 can just push the ISO higher to keep it wide open if needed...and hell probably closed down too

kdrk888
404 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 22, 2013 19:21 |  #5

I would just take the 50mm f1.4 and the 24-105 (or the 24-70II if you can swing it, new for $1700). I don't think the people you are taking pictures of would know or care what camera/lens you are using anyway.

As far as safety is concerned, the chance you get robbed on the streets is next to none. It's not Philly or Baltimore, LOL. But don't leave them unattended.

Douglas
Canon, Nikon, Sony. Too many gears, too little time.

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 22, 2013 19:27 |  #6

Get one of these for kicks

http://m5.i.pbase.com ….rANtdvik.Canon​12002a.jpg (external link)

(not funny, I know...just thought it someone might want to see a 1200mm lens)

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Dec 23, 2013 07:05 |  #7

thedcmule2 wrote in post #16547815 (external link)
Get one of these for kicks

http://m5.i.pbase.com ….rANtdvik.Canon​12002a.jpg (external link)

(not funny, I know...just thought it someone might want to see a 1200mm lens)

Id like one of these. And a lens like that also :P

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

Harpo63
THREAD ­ STARTER
265 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 23, 2013 08:00 |  #8

Thanks for the advice so far... more info... we will mostly be in the outskirts of the city of Shanghai... within the providence. That said, this is the first time Ive seen it mentioned that the 14mm lens is recommended as a go to. That would make more sense than getting a 40mm as it would be too much overlap with what I have. Never thought going that Ultra wide would would be a viable option here... But its good to know I could do very well with the two lenses I already have.

5D3 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-70 f2.8 II L : 70-200 f2.8 II L : 50mm f1.4 : 600EX-RT

kdrk888
404 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 23, 2013 12:49 |  #9

If you have never been to some of these big cities in China, you will be shocked to find out how modern some of the things there are. The skyline of Shanghai beats the of Manhattan by a mile. In the meantime you will see plenty of poverty too. I am not sure what a 14mm will do, other than shooting the skyline from certain angles.

Douglas
Canon, Nikon, Sony. Too many gears, too little time.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,937 posts
Gallery: 1382 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 23, 2013 13:13 |  #10

kdrk888 wrote in post #16549289 (external link)
If you have never been to some of these big cities in China, you will be shocked to find out how modern some of the things there are. The skyline of Shanghai beats the of Manhattan by a mile. In the meantime you will see plenty of poverty too. I am not sure what a 14mm will do, other than shooting the skyline from certain angles.

Ultra wide angle is really nice for crowded streets, markets, etc, and when you want to land a photo of something but can't back up more than 4 feet, etc.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,011 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 23, 2013 13:36 |  #11

Take the flash.

aliengin
Goldmember
1,156 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 23, 2013 13:42 |  #12

This will do the trick
http://www.adorama.com​/LCMB.html (external link)

Ali Engin Photography (external link)

johnandbentley
907 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 23, 2013 14:00 |  #13

I spent a month there last February and used 70-200 2.8 99% of time and 11-16 1%. I like to step back be unabtrusive and catch action. Most my shots were at 200.

6D, Sigma 24mm f1.4Art

koala ­ yummies
736 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 23, 2013 14:08 as a reply to  @ johnandbentley's post |  #14

I think you'll be using the 24-105mm (or 24-70 if you get that) almost exclusively. Zoom lenses just lend themselves to the spur of the moment, fast-paced always-moving world of photojournalism a little better than primes. I do freelance and spot news and the 50mm f/1.4 is my least-used lens (it gets more use during commercial product shoots), 24L and 135L are also usually left at home in favor of my two zooms.

Here's an interesting article showing what Reuters journalists use, might not be for you and I understand everyone is different, but this article shows what many of the professionals use. You can see it's primarily 16-35mm and 70-200mm, and the 24-105mm covers a lot of that range. http://petapixel.com …-photos-of-the-year-2012/ (external link)

flickr (external link)

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,880 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 23, 2013 19:47 |  #15

Harpo63 wrote in post #16547281 (external link)
Ive been asked to go on a missions trip as a photographer/mechanic with a faith based NGO to Shanghai and its providence. Its with an organization that donates wheelchairs to disabled people in poor areas. Ill be photographing photojournalistic style most of the time and part of the time helping assemble/modify wheelchairs for distribution.

Trying to determine best set up to take with me. What I have that I could take is my 5D3, 50 1.4 & 24-105L. Also have a 600RT flash but will like to leave it home if I can. I believe we will be working outside most of the time, but some indoors. I have no idea what it might be like in Shanghai and its area related to taking camera equipment and how safe it is?

Another option is to pick up a 24-70 2.8 II as a one lens solution that would cover indoors and out.

Any thoughts?

The key to photojournalism lenses is how close you can - or want to get to the subject you're photographing. If you can get very close, you'll need a wide angle lens. A good friend who was a first-class photo journalist loved wide lenses because he always wanted to get right next to the person he was photographing. However, if you're forced to stay back, you'll need to get a longer lens. In any case, the fastest possible lens will be most useful, so you can get images without attention-drawing flash.

sponsored links

1,993 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lenses for photojournalism in Shanghai?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.