Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 18 Dec 2013 (Wednesday) 11:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which Printer & Size will fix my dilemma?

themanwithacamera
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 18, 2013 11:42 |  #1

Hi all,
Newcomer & first time post so be nice :)
I am in need of a printer and I'm not sure which is best for this particular application.
I have a Canon t3i and am in need of sourcing out the best printer to print panoramic shots on-site (purely black & White) at sporting events. I was initially looking for a 24x8 setup as that's the size of a similar product I saw, but it seems to be hard to source out frames, paper, and so on. In that case is there a better but similar size that would be a better fit for this application?
As for printers, I was looking into the Canon pro1.
Looks like it would do the job and it does fit that size i mentioned, but 3minutes seems like a long time to wait for a print especially if there are people waiting, is there a better option as I would need it to print as quick as possible without throwing quality out the window. I was also looking at the epson R3000, but I've read that ink can get very costly. I don't mind if the printer leaves a border, and hopefully it's user friendly. My budget is roughly $1200 so any other info or other printer recommendations would be great.
Any help would be amazing!
thanks so much,
Jeremy

sponsored links
bespoke
710 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 18, 2013 12:17 |  #2

in your situation you may have to get 2 printers and run them side by side. you can buy 8 inch rolls and cut them but feeding curled sheets into a feeder is annoying. epson r3000 allows the use of rolls. or you can buy 17x22 sheets and cut them in half and print 8.5x22s instead.

i also have a feeling that it's not simple to print longer than 19 inches on those canon printers as noted in this thread https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1347957

Toronto Fashion Photographer (external link)
5D3 & 5D2s | 24 TS-E II, 24-70 II, 85L II, 100L, 70-200L II, 35 & 85 Zeiss ZE, Samyang 14, Sigma 50
Hasselblads + Leaf Aptus MFDB, Fuji X100, Epson 3880/9890

Yno
863 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 19, 2013 09:13 as a reply to  @ bespoke's post |  #3

I have a Pixma Pro Mk II and I print 8.5" x 25" panoramics with no problem. Red River Paper stocks this size in a number papers. I do have to cut my own mats, and I get custom cut frame components that assemble easily. But doing this on site would be tough.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

themanwithacamera
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 23, 2013 11:38 as a reply to  @ Yno's post |  #4

Thanks so much for the reply Bespoke & Yno!
I would like to stay away from rolls as much as possible, is there another size you recommend in order to get away from the roll? Attached is something very similar I would like to reproduce.
You can find pictures of exactly what I'm looking for: http://www.conradroger​s.com/AOV/ (external link)
Looking at the pics Ive attached, seems there would be a set size without cutting needed to just print, piece together, done... almost like a factory line.
Any other help would be great, thanks again

bpark42
307 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 23, 2013 16:06 |  #5

I would think that a printer that supported the use of roll paper would be the most efficient. You would just load the roll and then print whatever size you wanted. The printer would do the cutting (after printing) for you. Additionally, you can keep printing without having to load/reload paper between prints (unless you needed a different roll width.)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 24, 2013 23:10 |  #6

A challenge will be not just finding a printer but also paper(s) that would give you "panorama" dimensions. I'm not sure what's out there, maybe someone "in the know" will chime in?

At any rate, numerous printer models will handle a "standard" 13x19 paper, and so would handle 12x8, as long as you could set it up for a "custom size". But getting the proper paper size would take some research, since "out of the box" paper sizes, well, you get "letter size" (8,5x11) and then you move up to the 13x19, I'm not sure what's commercially available otherwise.

My wall-hanging prints were done on the 13x19 paper, but I quickly bought myself an "office" paper cutter to trim them down to either 12x18 prints or 12x16 prints.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

781 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which Printer & Size will fix my dilemma?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.