Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 14 Dec 2013 (Saturday) 19:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A dumb question?

bpark42
307 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 23, 2013 16:14 |  #16

philwillmedia wrote in post #16548022 (external link)
A really good home printer costs about A$1200 and prints on better than average copy paper.

Where did you come up with this idea? One of the advantages of printing at home (even with relatively inexpensive <$1000 printers) is the ability to put pretty much whatever paper one desires through it at any given time.

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 23, 2013 18:26 |  #17

bpark42 wrote in post #16549642 (external link)
Where did you come up with this idea? One of the advantages of printing at home (even with relatively inexpensive <$1000 printers) is the ability to put pretty much whatever paper one desires through it at any given time.

Pretty funny. I guess I could use silver halide paper in my dot matrix printer, but it would kind of defeat the purpose.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

bpark42
307 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 23, 2013 22:23 |  #18

hairy_moth wrote in post #16549915 (external link)
Pretty funny. I guess I could use silver halide paper in my dot matrix printer, but it would kind of defeat the purpose.

I have no idea what your point is, but my point (which should have been obvious) is that there is an exceptionally wide array of papers available and the previous poster's claim that home printers can only print on "better than average copy paper" is laughable.

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 23, 2013 22:39 as a reply to  @ bpark42's post |  #19

Maybe he's referring to that high-gloss extra-thick better than average copy paper. You know, that copy paper made by Kodak.

monkey44
THREAD ­ STARTER
726 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Dec 24, 2013 09:15 |  #20

Hey guys - don't jump off the boat here. Most good quality home printers will print on various papers, it depends on the relative quality you want in the print ... doesn't mean home printers will mimic silver halide processing ... it just means different paper quality on a low lever or a high level printer will vary results.

My original question was and still is, do any of you print on a high-level printer instead of sending work out to the lab. And the reason I ask it is to know if the quality of printers today has risen enough that clients find it acceptable to buy prints as well as SH photos.

As technology improves in cameras, so does it in printers - and what once took a $10k printer can now be found in a <$1000 printer. Depends on what the customer desires.

SO, my point? Are customers now requesting more photos at less cost, and accepting ink-jet or laser-jet prints instead of SH process? I was not intending to get into a debate about which printer is better or worse, or the paper quality, nor making fun of anyone's answer - obviously, better paper better print - better printer, better print - better printer and better paper, better prints. None surpass SH processing, but the two process do not equate to one another in quality either.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,089 views & 0 likes for this thread
A dumb question?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.