Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 23 Dec 2013 (Monday) 19:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cokin P doesn't fit - who's fault?

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 23, 2013 19:31 |  #1

I have a Singh-Ray cpl with that teethed wheel-like frame. It is exactly 88mm, the outside of the teeth.

I have a Cokin P filter holder knockoff which has 84mm for the regular slots and 85mm in that wider slot for CPL (closest to the lens). There is no provision to get the teeth in.

What am I missing?

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

sponsored links
TheAnt
Goldmember
1,386 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 24, 2013 07:24 |  #2

uOpt wrote in post #16550072 (external link)
I have a Singh-Ray cpl with that teethed wheel-like frame. It is exactly 88mm, the outside of the teeth.

I have a Cokin P filter holder knockoff which has 84mm for the regular slots and 85mm in that wider slot for CPL (closest to the lens). There is no provision to get the teeth in.

What am I missing?

Could it be that you're using a knockoff and not an OEM Cokin P holder? Knockoffs aren't known for being the exactly the same dimensions, ever. Especially if it was a cheap $10 one off eBay.

6D EF 24-70 MkI - Σ 50 mm 1.4 - Σ 15mm 2.8 Fishie - 430EX II - AlienBees -
Website (external link) | Insta (external link) | 500px (external link)

uOpt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 24, 2013 08:36 |  #3

TheAnt wrote in post #16550845 (external link)
Could it be that you're using a knockoff and not an OEM Cokin P holder? Knockoffs aren't known for being the exactly the same dimensions, ever. Especially if it was a cheap $10 one off eBay.

Sure.

I just want to confirm that other holders have more space in the lower register holder.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,967 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 24, 2013 12:49 |  #4

Not sure what you are describing. I have the 84 mm Cokin but don't have the filter you refer to but how is 88mm to go into a 84mm wide slot?

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 24, 2013 12:54 |  #5

uOpt wrote in post #16550072 (external link)

What am I missing?

Surely different holder sizes can be bought to suit different filter widths, or am I missing something here?

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,967 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 24, 2013 12:57 |  #6

http://www.singh-ray.com/cokinholder.ht​ml (external link)

Shown at link above. Looks like there are four slots total one of which if for the cpl. But I'm inclined to think you need the Cokin Pro-Z for the 88mm SR filter.

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 24, 2013 14:00 |  #7

I have real Cokin and a knock off, both of them look like the first slot is about 2mm(each side) wider than the other slots and would easily take 88mm CPL.

uOpt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 24, 2013 19:36 |  #8

lovemyram4x4 wrote in post #16551647 (external link)
I have real Cokin and a knock off, both of them look like the first slot is about 2mm(each side) wider than the other slots and would easily take 88mm CPL.

OK, that is the information I needed. My holder only has about 1mm more in the CPL slot.

Does your knockoff have a brand name that you could post?

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 24, 2013 21:10 |  #9

Sorry, only the Cokin brand one has any markings on it.

It is one of the wide angle ones(missing outer slot) and I think I got from a local US seller.

uOpt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 01, 2014 11:05 |  #10

For the record, the problem was nicely sorted by getting a Cokin-branded Cokin filter holder :)

sponsored links

1,439 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cokin P doesn't fit - who's fault?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.