Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Dec 2013 (Tuesday) 13:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The First Impression of My New 5D3

SYS
Cream of the Crop
13,986 posts
Gallery: 528 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2004

Dec 24, 2013 13:08 |  #1

Just got it yesterday! :D

I shoot a lot of classical concerts and recitals where flash is strictly forbidden. This means I have to rely on high ISO settings typically above 1600, and my 40D has been extremely frustrating with high noise results. Shooting in classical concerts with 40D has also been frustrating because of the canon-ball like mirror slapping sound it generates. In a very quiet venues, yes, 40D does sound like a canon-ball going off with audiences turning their heads in my direction with frowning faces on.

So, as soon as I popped in a memory card and a fully charged battery, I quickly tested its high ISO performances, and WOW, I mean, WOW!! These were shot with no post noise reduction of any kind, just in-camera noise reduction. These would look even better with the post noise reduction, I'm sure:

ISO 3200

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

ISO 12800

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Prior to getting 5D3, I was wondering about whether I'd use the Auto ISO or not. With these results, I can rest at ease and leave it at the auto setting. How convenient!

As for the sound, I wasn't all that impressed with its silent shutter mode. Yes, the sound level has drastically gone down in comparison to 40D, and yes even from the 5D3's normal shutter sound. Perhaps my expectation was a bit too high, but it could have been quieter. I also didn't care for its not so "esthetically" pleasing sound. It just sound like a weakened mechanical noise, that's all. At least, its silent shutter mode would keep people's head from turning in my direction.

I also do a lot of birds (and drangonflies)-in-flight and sports action shots, as well as wildlife, so another thing that excited me about the new camera is its AF capabilities. I'll get around to testing the AF next time. My only hesitation in purchasing the new body was my concern regarding the "loss" of reach going from a cropped body to FF, but there were way too many benefits with the new body that I decided to deal with the reach when 7DII comes out, if at all.

So far, my only let down was when I found out that the RAW images out of 5D3 is incompatible with the CS4 PS and Bridge. I now need to either purchase CS6 or use DPP or to use DNG converting... all an extra hassle. :confused:

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

sponsored links
windpig
Chopped liver
15,434 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 24, 2013 13:12 |  #2

Have you considered LR5?

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

RunAmok
97 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 24, 2013 13:13 |  #3

That's the one camera I would move to if it didn't cost so much more than my 7D did. I would miss the reach, too (or would I?). Glad you like the new toy! Maybe I'll get one in a few years :D

Canon 7D + grip | EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS | EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS | EF 400 f/5.6L
flickr (external link)

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,986 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Dec 24, 2013 13:14 |  #4

windpig wrote in post #16551549 (external link)
Have you considered LR5?

How much is it and is there any good deal going on?

-Goethe
My Gear

RunAmok
97 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 24, 2013 13:23 |  #5

Definitely be on the lookout. I picked it up for $69 for the wife recently. Retail is $150, but it's usually around $100 or less.

Canon 7D + grip | EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS | EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS | EF 400 f/5.6L
flickr (external link)

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 24, 2013 13:24 |  #6

Congrats ! and enjoy :)

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

milleniumking
339 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 24, 2013 13:58 |  #7

Good choice on a great camera. There are great tutorials on this forum somewhere regarding the AF system. I have been reading it and it certainly is a help.

Enjoy!

windpig
Chopped liver
15,434 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 24, 2013 14:20 |  #8

SYS wrote in post #16551556 (external link)
How much is it and is there any good deal going on?

If you use ACR (Your CS is what your RAW converter is), then LR5 is a nice way to upgrade ACR, I believe you can then export direct to your version of CS. I could be wrong with the export, but I'd still go the LR5 route.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 24, 2013 14:57 |  #9

You'l find in the real world the silent shutter although not really silent will make a huge difference. I sometimes sit on my patio and shoot song/humming birds around the trees/feeders in my yard. The normal shutter will often scare the birds off(especially with the 1D). Even the louder silent shutter on the 1D normally only causes them to just flinch if anything at all.

I know the $9.99 CC photography for anyone just expired but I'm not sure if they're still offering the $9.99 for qualifying previous version upgrade to CC, both came with LR, PS, Bridge and few other things. I really don't like the monthly thing myself even though $9.99/mo isn't a pretty good deal for what you get. I went ahead and did it though just to get the new things PS and not worry about support for the next time I upgrade a body.

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,639 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 24, 2013 15:34 |  #10

A good opportunity to give DPP one more chance.

You may get to love it, backed-up by the CS4 you already have. (PhotoLine in my case.)

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,986 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Dec 24, 2013 15:36 |  #11

agedbriar wrote in post #16551850 (external link)
A good opportunity to give DPP one more chance.

You may get to love it, backed-up by the CS4 you already have. (PhotoLine in my case.)

Alright... will give DPP a try.

-Goethe
My Gear

monkey44
726 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Dec 24, 2013 18:03 |  #12

I like the DPP first, then go to PS 12 ... very simple processing and gets me everything I need. And, yes, the AF on 5DM3 is pretty fantastic.

Far as missing the FF reach, just step up a little closer, or if REALLY, REALLY necessary, get a longer lens or a 1.4x - there's always a way to get the shot. I'm thinking too many of us think we need to stand in one spot and get the equipment to reach - we gotta start walking around a bit more, get that reach with our feet instead. Course, that's just me :)

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 24, 2013 18:07 |  #13

My af on the 5d3 doesnt miss in the dark...incredible to say the least

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 24, 2013 22:41 |  #14

I am using LR4.3 and no issues with 5dmk3 or the 6d. LR5 was on sale at newegg/adorama like 2-3 weeks ago for $70.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,576 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 24, 2013 23:00 |  #15

I'm enjoying mine, too. The silent shutter is the same as the 6D's. Not silent, but a lot quieter than my 7D. I think the 6D has a slight edge with high ISO noise, but it's close. I will miss my Eg-S focus screen in the 6D, though.

Here's a really good article about setting up the 5D MkIII's AF for birds.

http://www.grantatkins​on.com …w-autofocus-5dmk3-and-1dx (external link)

Mark J.
Gear

sponsored links

4,756 views & 0 likes for this thread
The First Impression of My New 5D3
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.