Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 25 Dec 2013 (Wednesday) 00:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Stabilizer, Dolly/Track, GoPro?

Octowl
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 25, 2013 00:18 |  #1

Glidecam HD2000 (external link)
GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition (external link)

I am also looking for a Dolly/Track System, any recommendations would be helpful (I will be using a Canon 60D + 10-22mm)

Is there a better brand or model for around the same price for any of these?
Is there anything else I might need to make a video such as these?

I also think I need the Dolly and GoPro before the Stabilizer (Glidecam), thoughts?

I am looking to make a video featuring my car, something along the lines of these videos:
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=Y2BuA5EUqmg (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=K273yDe8aG8 (external link)

My name is Daniel and I'm a Graphic Designer, but my passion is Photography
Canon EOS 60D | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 580EX II | D-Lite-4 IT | Glidecam HD2000
Full Gear List | flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 25, 2013 02:53 |  #2

Well if you do, make them at least half the length.

A GoPro can by very handy for on the move shots. I can't see much use for a glidecam in car shots aside walking round meets and even then a tripod shot would probably by better.

DSLRs can be tricky with dolly shots because of the changes in focal length. The shots in the first video (I can't see the 2nd in my country) looked like a slider not a dolly.

But I can't comment on what gear you need as I don't know what shots you are trying to achieve. That is the crux - see the shot in your head and then get the best gear to achieve it. Buying a lorry full of toys isn't going to make you a good video - only you can make a good video.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

Octowl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 25, 2013 03:19 |  #3

Thanks for you input John, I think the Glidecam will ONLY be used for walking around car shows and walking around my car for videos without any sort of shaking.

Inside the car and while driving I wanted to use the GoPro, but I'm not sure if I should just get some sort of suction cups to hold my DSLR or if I should just get the GoPro.

I think a slider is a better fit for me and is cheaper if I'm not mistaken. From my research a slider is the same thing as a dolly but it isn't as long? Also if noise is a concern I should not get a friction slider, also it might not be smooth with a friction glider since the 60D and 10-22mm are not the lightest combo. Thoughts on this?

My name is Daniel and I'm a Graphic Designer, but my passion is Photography
Canon EOS 60D | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 580EX II | D-Lite-4 IT | Glidecam HD2000
Full Gear List | flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 25, 2013 03:45 |  #4

A longer slider is a better and cheaper tool than a steadicam for car videos. Check out this Konova slider:

http://konovaphoto.com …cam/slider-k3/k-3080.html (external link)

I have used this Belkin car mount for music videos with great results:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Dual_Suction_C​amera.html (external link)

There are some shots in those videos that use a tripod with a video head to pan from the ground up to the roof. You can use the slider mounted at an angle on a tripod to get the same results.

Here are some slider tips:

http://oliviatech.com …-dslr-video-camera-slider (external link)

GoPros are cool and fun, but most of their benefits can be easily also done with other equipment and save $$$ to be spend on other production. Its a better investment to buy editing tutorials, fx plugins, or cool title templates for your video editor.

-Scott

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,060 views & 0 likes for this thread
Stabilizer, Dolly/Track, GoPro?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.