Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Dec 2013 (Tuesday) 13:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The First Impression of My New 5D3

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,630 posts
Gallery: 1653 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Dec 24, 2013 23:12 |  #16

The silent shutter is actually really good, IMO. If you want to hear a "joke" of a silent shutter, listen to the one on the 1DX. I feel comfortable taking my 5D3 (on silent shutter) and sneaking into my kids room to capture them sleeping in funny positions without worry of waking them up. I won't have to turn the light up by much as the high iso (while noisy at 25600), is still much better than any other option.

I've read that the silent shutter function has been a very big hit with wedding photographers.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,283 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Dec 24, 2013 23:19 |  #17

M_Six wrote in post #16552438 (external link)
I'm enjoying mine, too. The silent shutter is the same as the 6D's. Not silent, but a lot quieter than my 7D. I think the 6D has a slight edge with high ISO noise, but it's close. I will miss my Eg-S focus screen in the 6D, though.

Here's a really good article about setting up the 5D MkIII's AF for birds.

http://www.grantatkins​on.com …w-autofocus-5dmk3-and-1dx (external link)

Thanks for the link, exactly what I could use. :)

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,871 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Dec 24, 2013 23:39 |  #18

M_Six wrote in post #16552438 (external link)
I'm enjoying mine, too. The silent shutter is the same as the 6D's. Not silent, but a lot quieter than my 7D. I think the 6D has a slight edge with high ISO noise, but it's close. I will miss my Eg-S focus screen in the 6D, though.

Here's a really good article about setting up the 5D MkIII's AF for birds.

http://www.grantatkins​on.com …w-autofocus-5dmk3-and-1dx (external link)

The 7d silent mode is pretty quiet though, and can be used with success in many venues.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,412 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 24, 2013 23:41 |  #19

jwcdds wrote in post #16552447 (external link)
The silent shutter is actually really good, IMO. If you want to hear a "joke" of a silent shutter, listen to the one on the 1DX. I feel comfortable taking my 5D3 (on silent shutter) and sneaking into my kids room to capture them sleeping in funny positions without worry of waking them up. I won't have to turn the light up by much as the high iso (while noisy at 25600), is still much better than any other option.

I've read that the silent shutter function has been a very big hit with wedding photographers.

I shot a lecture at the Tower of London a few years ago (at the request of the speaker) and caught a ton of nasty looks from folks in the audience. It really made me feel uncomfortable knowing I was bothering them with the 7D's shutter noise. I seriously doubt it would have been an issue with the 6D/5D MkIII silent shutter mode.

Mark J.
Gear

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,412 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 24, 2013 23:42 |  #20

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16552481 (external link)
The 7d silent mode is pretty quiet though, and can be used with success in many venues.

If I'm not mistaken, the 7D's silent shutter mode is Live View only, isn't it?

Mark J.
Gear

chris61
186 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 25, 2013 02:31 as a reply to  @ M_Six's post |  #21

The 5D3 is the best on the market for silent shutter it leaves all the rest behind

Have a look at this link

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=Dp5a1UobKvc (external link)

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/88087917@N05/ (external link)
16-35 f2.8 Mkii 24-105 f4is 1.4X extender mkii Sigma 150-500 apo HSM speed light 550ex canon 5d mkiii :cool:

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,871 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Joined May 2002

Dec 25, 2013 05:27 |  #22

M_Six wrote in post #16552484 (external link)
If I'm not mistaken, the 7D's silent shutter mode is Live View only, isn't it?

Yes, which can be a blessing, or a curse, depending on your needs. If you have the time and are casually shooting, it isn't an issue really IMO, but if you need to rattle off a bunch of shots, then it is a pain.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 25, 2013 07:41 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #23

Are those 100% crops?

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,283 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Dec 25, 2013 08:39 |  #24

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #16552815 (external link)
Are those 100% crops?

No, didn't bother with that. Just a quick crop around by 1/3 or so of the image as I just wanted an initial taste of what I've been dreaming of. :) I HATED the noise that the 40D was producing!

-Goethe
My Gear

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 25, 2013 08:51 |  #25

SYS wrote in post #16551541 (external link)
Just got it yesterday! :D

I shoot a lot of classical concerts and recitals where flash is strictly forbidden. This means I have to rely on high ISO settings typically above 1600, and my 40D has been extremely frustrating with high noise results. Shooting in classical concerts with 40D has also been frustrating because of the canon-ball like mirror slapping sound it generates. In a very quiet venues, yes, 40D does sound like a canon-ball going off with audiences turning their heads in my direction with frowning faces on.

So, as soon as I popped in a memory card and a fully charged battery, I quickly tested its high ISO performances, and WOW, I mean, WOW!! These were shot with no post noise reduction of any kind, just in-camera noise reduction. These would look even better with the post noise reduction, I'm sure:

Don't count on it; you might lose more in fine detail than you gain in NR. It might help, but it's not guaranteed.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

mathogre
Goldmember
3,588 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 25, 2013 09:52 |  #26

lovemyram4x4 wrote in post #16551766 (external link)
I know the $9.99 CC photography for anyone just expired but I'm not sure if they're still offering the $9.99 for qualifying previous version upgrade to CC, both came with LR, PS, Bridge and few other things. I really don't like the monthly thing myself even though $9.99/mo isn't a pretty good deal for what you get. I went ahead and did it though just to get the new things PS and not worry about support for the next time I upgrade a body.

No. It's still active until December 31. It was one of my Christmas presents. I just moved from free trial to subscription. :D

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

paddler4
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 25, 2013 11:56 |  #27

I'll get around to testing the AF next time. My only hesitation in purchasing the new body was my concern regarding the "loss" of reach going from a cropped body to FF, but there were way too many benefits

Yup. Both formats have their pros and cons. As someone who recently bought a 5DMKIII, I found the loss of reach the biggest minus of the FF format. There is no way around it--it's just trigonometry. The only options are to buy longer lenses or keep the crop body for occasions when you need the extra reach.

I also didn't care for its not so "esthetically" pleasing sound. It just sound like a weakened mechanical noise, that's all.

Give yourself a break. It IS just a weakened mechanical noise. This is a camera, not a musical instrument. The silent mode is remarkably quiet and--at least in my experience--really helpful. I leave it on by default.

Re the AF system: it's just remarkable. Give yourself a little time--IMHO, it is the one place where the 400 page manual is deficient. I had to play with it for a bit before I figured it out. Worth the effort. It is simply amazingly flexible and well thought out. To give you just one example: you can set the AF point separately for each of the three camera orientations, and the camera will remember this. Also, the camera is highly customizable, and I have it set up so I can simply flick the joystick to move the selected AF point around.

Enjoy it. It is an amazing camera.

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 25, 2013 19:20 |  #28

I went from a 7D to 5D mk III for shooting HS sports. Most HS gyms are dark and I cannot use flash. With the 5D I can shoot at an ISO of 10,000 and only apply slight NR in LR5 for great prints. Sure I may have to occasionally post crop to get in closer but it works out fine.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,136 posts
Gallery: 260 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 25, 2013 21:02 |  #29

monkey44 wrote in post #16552086 (external link)
I like the DPP first, then go to PS 12 ... very simple processing and gets me everything I need. And, yes, the AF on 5DM3 is pretty fantastic.

Far as missing the FF reach, just step up a little closer, or if REALLY, REALLY necessary, get a longer lens or a 1.4x - there's always a way to get the shot. I'm thinking too many of us think we need to stand in one spot and get the equipment to reach - we gotta start walking around a bit more, get that reach with our feet instead. Course, that's just me :)

I have the 5DIII and 7D and one cant always take a few steps and even when you do its not enough when it comes to wildlife or you are shooting on a shoreline and really are not in the mood to swim. I could spend several thousand dollars and get a longer focal length lens but I don't want to carry that sort of weight around, so the 7D has to come out when I'm in those focal length situations, its a great camera but not a patch on 5DIII for image quality and the focusing system is awesome on 5DIII . I still find I have to use the 7D a lot and I'm praying the next model will stay a crop sensor but have some mighty good improvements. as for software I would advise anyone to spend the money and get lightroom 5. I was amazed at how good it was and if you own a 7D it cleans up noise way better than anything else Ive used.

I love my 5DIII, awesome camera

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,283 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Dec 25, 2013 21:24 |  #30

Now that I got 5DIII, I'm saving up for 7DII which is rumored to come out in March. But then rumor is just a rumor... :)

-Goethe
My Gear

sponsored links

4,143 views & 0 likes for this thread
The First Impression of My New 5D3
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.