Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Dec 2013 (Wednesday) 18:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

manual focus ?

Mtk
160 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 25, 2013 18:31 |  #1

Hey everyone.
I have a question about what they mean when they say it will only manually focus. I have a 7d with a 100-400 5.6 and would like to get a 1.4 extender but they say it will not AF. Now when they say it will not AF do they mean I can only focus by using the focus ring on the lens or does it mean the 19 point af will not work but the manual center spot will focus when you half press the shutter?
Hope that makes sense
Thanks

Canon 7D, Canon 100-400 F4/5.6 ISL Canon EF-S- 10-22

sponsored links
kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Dec 25, 2013 18:59 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

You can only focus by using the focus ring, half pressing the shutter does nothing.

Having said that, Tamron TC will AF albeit slow and unreliable.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

BDKR
196 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 25, 2013 19:16 as a reply to  @ kin2son's post |  #3

There are two possibilities:

A) Electrical- the teleconverter may lack the capability of transmitting the focus commands and receive the information from the lens for focus confirmation, making it necessary to take AF out of the loop by selecting MF on the lens.

B) The max aperture of your lens is 5.6, and the 7D has a tough time discerning an edge with which to determine focus at apertures smaller than 5.6, and when you put a teleconverter on that or any other lens, the max aperture gets smaller. If I put my Canon 2XII converter on my 70-200 f/2.8L IS, the max aperture is 5.6 as it is a 2x converter. When you employ a TC, there are two downsides: Speed of the glass and loss of Image Quality, no matter whose TC you use. My 7d has a problem autofocusing at apertures smaller than 55.6, although the spec says it should be able to AF at f/8. It is a light issue and the AF sensor being able to find an edge or high contrast area which to focus on.

Hope it helps.

7D,5Dii, EF70-200/2.8L ISII, EF24-105L, EF50/1.8, EFS10-22, EF85/1.8, Strobes/SpeedLites and imagination. Oh, and an empty wallet

n1as
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 25, 2013 19:29 |  #4

You can only focus by manually turning the focus ring on the lens. I do not know if the AF focus points will even register and indicate when you have achieved focus. I suspect not.

Unfortunately the 7D focus screen is not accurate enough to support reliable manual focus.

You either need a longer lens or a different body.

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

Mtk
THREAD ­ STARTER
160 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 25, 2013 19:31 |  #5

Thank's for the info.
It just has confirmed what I have known about the set up but was not positive what they meant when they said manual focus. I mostly shoot using a single focusing spot that the camera call's manual. Anyway thanks for the info

Canon 7D, Canon 100-400 F4/5.6 ISL Canon EF-S- 10-22

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,135 posts
Gallery: 1603 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 25, 2013 20:24 |  #6

Mtk wrote in post #16553760 (external link)
Hey everyone.
I have a question about what they mean when they say it will only manually focus. I have a 7d with a 100-400 5.6 and would like to get a 1.4 extender but they say it will not AF. Now when they say it will not AF do they mean I can only focus by using the focus ring on the lens or does it mean the 19 point af will not work but the manual center spot will focus when you half press the shutter?
Hope that makes sense
Thanks

Heya,

Yeap, turn the ring, focus like it doesn't have a motor.

I actually do a lot of manual focus with my lenses. Sometimes you have to, to get your shot. Especially if trying to shoot through stuff for an interesting composition. Like, focusing on a bird, through some limbs. I do a lot of manual focus to infinity on my wide lenses too, and just fire away.

It's great actually if you get used to it and build your skill on it's use.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Littlefield
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 25, 2013 21:04 |  #7

Mtk wrote in post #16553832 (external link)
Thank's for the info.
It just has confirmed what I have known about the set up but was not positive what they meant when they said manual focus. I mostly shoot using a single focusing spot that the camera call's manual. Anyway thanks for the info

Use manual focus with Live view on a tripod.

killwilly
866 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 26, 2013 02:10 |  #8

Littlefield wrote in post #16553962 (external link)

+1 :)

Alan. flickr (external link)
---------------
Canon 7D. Canon 15-85 EF-S Lens. Canon 55-250 EF-S Lens. Speedlite 430ex 11.
Canon EOS-M. Canon 18-55 EF-M Lens. Speedlite 90EX.
Sigma APO 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 26, 2013 04:48 |  #9

Littlefield wrote in post #16553962 (external link)

Or, use LiveView with auto-focus. It will be slow, but it should work.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

sponsored links

1,559 views & 0 likes for this thread
manual focus ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.