Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 25 Dec 2013 (Wednesday) 10:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dead Sea Shoreline

Amamba
Goldmember
3,684 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 25, 2013 10:19 |  #1

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3742/11536664296_dfbd048205_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …77380157@N06/11​536664296/  (external link)
IMG_4469 (external link) by BugsDaddy (external link), on Flickr

From our trip a couple years ago. I think the mountains in the background are in Jordan.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

sponsored links
BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 25, 2013 13:31 |  #2

This isn't wide enough to gain my interest, but that's just me. I'd like to see an even slower shutter and wider FOV if possible (understanding that this is an older photo ;) )

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,239 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 25, 2013 13:48 |  #3

Basically this image lacks from proper printing. It's a nice image. In this print I used a graduated mask to print down the mids in the foreground. I also did a little sharpening.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,995 posts
Gallery: 287 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 25, 2013 13:55 |  #4

I assume Jetcode uses the word "printing" instead of "processing".... ??? I don't think his version adds anything but a bit of sharpening. I find the colours and shades in the original better than in the processed one.
But the image lacks something. It needs the caption ("Dead Sea shore") to make it interesting and would otherwise be totally uninteresting. Nothing really catches the eye.

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
Canon R5, 5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4 + RF70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,239 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 25, 2013 13:58 |  #5

The color never changed. Saturation increased because I printed down the mids. Processing is for computer scientists. Printing is for photographers. This is not an invention it is industry standard language.

My guess is you are viewing this on a laptop or some other marginal monitor.

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,995 posts
Gallery: 287 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 25, 2013 14:28 |  #6

Printing is what I used to do in my darkroom until 20 years ago when I went digital.... I hardly ever print anymore - leave that to my wife when she thinks one of my shots is interestingly enough for her wall ... :)
My monitor is calibrated and Jetcode is right - the colours haven't changed but the impression they create changed. As this must have been a sunny day I think the original is more natural for the harsh light you find on the Dead Sea shore (as I remember it when I was there on a sunny day).

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
Canon R5, 5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4 + RF70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,239 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 25, 2013 14:48 |  #7

I am finding that monitors (high tech answer to print paper) deviate dramatically. When I use Photoshop I am still using dark room printing techniques. All the terms are near equivalents: burn, dodge, masks, contrast, gamma, unsharp mask (two images slightly offset highlighting edges). I knew a couple of darkroom printers who were hardcore and they produced amazing prints. It also took them a week or two to get an image dialed in. Some would use negative stacks that they printed (layers). By the way the burning down of the mids in this scene is similar in effect to using a polarizer.

Amamba
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,684 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 25, 2013 18:03 |  #8

I like it being sharper. However, all that salt dissolved in the water creates a certain "milky" effect which I was trying to preserve, I'm afraid your edit makes it appear too translucent.

Qbx
Goldmember
3,962 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 25, 2013 21:19 |  #9

Why not just sharpen the rocks and leave the water alone?

-- Image Editing OK --

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 25, 2013 21:25 |  #10

Qbx wrote in post #16553979 (external link)
Why not just sharpen the rocks and leave the water alone?

Agree - that's what I'd do; make an adjustment layer for just the rocks where they are the only objects being sharpened as you "erase away" that layer. The rest of the milky water will remain unaffected.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,239 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 26, 2013 12:01 |  #11

I used high pass sharpening so the water was essentially untouched while the rocks and land strip were affected most. This was simply a demonstration of gaining clarity in the image foreground. The milky effect is still there but is less visible because it is no longer being saturated by high noon lighting.

Amamba
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,684 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 26, 2013 20:12 |  #12

jetcode wrote in post #16555065 (external link)
I used high pass sharpening so the water was essentially untouched while the rocks and land strip were affected most. This was simply a demonstration of gaining clarity in the image foreground. The milky effect is still there but is less visible because it is no longer being saturated by high noon lighting.

There's also something else going on with water and mountains, they appear darker / bluer on my monitor...

So here's the final edit, with only the rocks in the forefront sharpened

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2846/11576235764_4a6f7cdc15_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …77380157@N06/11​576235764/  (external link)
IMG_4469 (external link) by BugsDaddy (external link), on Flickr

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,239 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 26, 2013 22:59 |  #13

Did you get something out of this critique? Seems like you were looking for approval rather than critique.

BigSkyKen
128 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 26, 2013 23:04 |  #14

If you're using LR, I think you can improve on this by pulling a -.7 grad filter up from the bottom to take the edge off the rocks. Still too much highlight reflection going on there.

BigSkyKen
Wildlife & Nature Blog @ His Creation (external link)

Amamba
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,684 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 27, 2013 09:48 |  #15

jetcode wrote in post #16556380 (external link)
Did you get something out of this critique? Seems like you were looking for approval rather than critique.

Not really, I was looking for the ways to make it better and I liked what you did to the rocks in the foreground, I just wanted to maintain the warmer color and sort of milky appearance of the water in the background, as it's one of the main characteristics of this place - the water is not like any salt water I saw before, it's really something different, more like oil or lotion.

So I do appreciate critique, and try to learn from it.

BigSkyKen wrote in post #16556392 (external link)
If you're using LR, I think you can improve on this by pulling a -.7 grad filter up from the bottom to take the edge off the rocks. Still too much highlight reflection going on there.

Ok, let me try this - is this enough ? Trying to not overdo it:

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7339/11586833516_8005663919_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …77380157@N06/11​586833516/  (external link)
IMG_4469-3 (external link) by BugsDaddy (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links

2,351 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dead Sea Shoreline
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.