Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 22 Dec 2013 (Sunday) 06:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need Studio lights set up suggestions please

jstsasha
308 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 22, 2013 06:41 |  #1

With a budget 1-2 k what would you guys suggest for 2-3 lights for a studio setup ( other than to get a bigger budget please :)). Mostly shooting glamour with one model sometimes group of two three people. At the moment using one 580ex2 and two 430s canon flashes with a reflector added sometimes and simple Brolly box and umbrella.

Professional Russian.
Canon 5d Mark III, Canon Rebel T3i, Canon 24-70 , Canon 70-200, Sigma 15-30, Canon 50mm
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jstsasha/ (external link)

sponsored links
pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 22, 2013 10:11 |  #2

The budget you have set forth is actually quite generous!

Some basic questions to get us started?
Do you shoot on location much? Or just in studio?

I ask because at some point, you will have to choose either a system with a power pack(very common, high powered), or mono-lights(common with budget minded photographers, low power).

In general, a MORE simple setup reigns supreme. SO, I would recommend against more lights over fewer lights. Three lights feels extraneous to me, as I have two flash heads, and rarely use BOTH.

You may(or may not) want to consider a large, high quality modifier as part of your new setup. Chimera is a colorado based light modifier manufacturer who makes extremely high quality products at reasonable prices.

Additionally, a beauty dish seems to always be a useful tool to have in your arsenal, although I have never seen one in use - I just use a medium 3x4 foot soft box(from chimera)

(some of you may have seen this coming)
Speedotron black line lights, which are cheap and relatively easy to find on craigslist or ebay, will give you an awful lot of bang for the buck if you find a decent set USED. I found my 2400 watt second power pack, and two flash heads, and two chimera soft boxes for $750. That, to me, was a worthwhile investment.

Other options include the Paul C Buff Einstein640 monolights, however they offer a max output of only 640 watt seconds - which can be enough for most applications. Paul C Buffs modifiers may leave something to be desired, but they have a great return policy, and a large variety of useful toys and tools to choose from!

To summarize:
-simple light setup
-large modifier

Look at that, I didn't even once bring up tethered shooting.

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

jstsasha
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 22, 2013 14:26 |  #3

thank you for detailed info!!!

I mostly work in a studio, and prefer the AC powered lights not to invest in battery and all for now. So you think 640 is barelly enough power? I also was looking at Bowens, but they are only 400... I cant even imagine how 2400 performs))

Professional Russian.
Canon 5d Mark III, Canon Rebel T3i, Canon 24-70 , Canon 70-200, Sigma 15-30, Canon 50mm

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 22, 2013 17:56 |  #4

jstsasha wrote in post #16547289 (external link)
thank you for detailed info!!!

I mostly work in a studio, and prefer the AC powered lights not to invest in battery and all for now. So you think 640 is barelly enough power? I also was looking at Bowens, but they are only 400... I cant even imagine how 2400 performs))

I personally use more than 600 watt seconds, so having the RANGE to work with is always nice.

And a power pack is NOT a battery. :)

Although some power packs have batteries, they are decidedly lower in power output for the price.

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

GeeMack
778 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 23, 2013 11:43 |  #5

How would this kit suit your needs?

http://www.paulcbuff.c​om/pkg-thegenius.php (external link)

7D, 50 f1.8, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L, 2x TC III, 580EX II, 430EX, 568EX II, 622C
glmphotos.zenfolio.com (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 23, 2013 11:45 |  #6

There is a lot of value in the alien bees linked to above.

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 23, 2013 12:15 |  #7

jstsasha wrote in post #16546471 (external link)
With a budget 1-2 k what would you guys suggest for 2-3 lights for a studio setup ( other than to get a bigger budget please :)). Mostly shooting glamour with one model sometimes group of two three people. At the moment using one 580ex2 and two 430s canon flashes with a reflector added sometimes and simple Brolly box and umbrella.

A Novatron kit. Mine has 3 studio flashes with umbrellas plus a smaller background light. Needs to be plugged into a power pack but it is worth it's money for a starter studio. I still use mine on location at events.

jstsasha
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 26, 2013 00:33 |  #8

Thank you for suggestions.... Which of the novatron kits do you have? One for about $1800?

Also as far as that alien bee kit... Would this possibly work better for glamour and stuff?

http://www.paulcbuff.c​om/pkg-busybee.php (external link)

Its a three light and a bit more power it seems but a little cheaper... Or am I missing something as far as specs...

Professional Russian.

GeeMack
778 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 26, 2013 06:10 |  #9

I don't own studio strobes but like you they are on my list. From my readings PCB seems to offer the most bang for the buck. The Einsteins seem to offer the most versatility with 9 stops of light adjustment and their 'Constant color' and 'Action sport' modes. And of course the more lights and modifiers the more versatility too. Considering all that, I would buy as many Einsteins and modifiers as my budget would allow. Then build my studio with still more of them as time went on. At least, that's my theory.

7D, 50 f1.8, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L, 2x TC III, 580EX II, 430EX, 568EX II, 622C
glmphotos.zenfolio.com (external link)

kickmaster
556 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 26, 2013 10:13 |  #10

Einsteins +1

Canon Forever! 5D III, 1DX, L Primes & Zooms, Kino-Flo, Einsteins, Interfit's, Diva Ringlight, Phottix Indra 500 TTL, Interfit S1's..... Full studio....

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 27, 2013 18:19 |  #11

jstsasha wrote in post #16554212 (external link)
Thank you for suggestions.... Which of the novatron kits do you have? One for about $1800?

Also as far as that alien bee kit... Would this possibly work better for glamour and stuff?

http://www.paulcbuff.c​om/pkg-busybee.php (external link)

Its a three light and a bit more power it seems but a little cheaper... Or am I missing something as far as specs...

I checked and they don't make the kind I have anymore, 3 flash heads is all they offer, I have 4 power pack minimum power is 250 watts and increases to 500 watts if needed to light up a huge room or church.

sponsored links

1,753 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need Studio lights set up suggestions please
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.