Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 24 Dec 2013 (Tuesday) 16:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1st Attempt at a portrait of my daughter.

sjammer
691 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 24, 2013 16:09 |  #1

I normally do not take pictures of people, but I am trying to get better at it. Both pictures below were taken with available light and no flash. The 1st pic was taken in a dimly lit room with only light coming from my sliding glass door behind me. The 2nd pic was next to my front window. I know I need practice, but I would like to get some tips on things on things I could be doing better. All that I ask is that if you have a negative comment could you also please offer something constructive with it. Thanks.

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2850/11537734006_c39bc4175b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …59249585@N05/11​537734006/  (external link)
Carmela 1 (external link) by sjammer1 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3740/11537656035_c4f2f03908_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …59249585@N05/11​537656035/  (external link)
Carmela 2 (external link) by sjammer1 (external link), on Flickr

Canon Body w/ Canon Lenses

sponsored links
jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 24, 2013 17:05 |  #2

my recommendation is to shoot 100 or more frames and then come back for critique if you feel there is something missing from your images. for numero uno take your hand and hold it up over the left side of the image. use your hand to crop the image. notice the effect if you crop off the left side of the image into her hair. for me much stronger. the light is excellent in numero uno. numero two has a yellow color cast and blown out background all of which make for a poor image of a lovely creature. you can still recover this image with a little post processing. give it a try and let's see what you come up with.

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,314 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Dec 25, 2013 08:10 |  #3

^ What Jetcode said, with this added: lighting below the subject in #1 can lead to a Chiller Theatre look. That's not so much the case here, but be careful. In #2, it looks like you took a close up with a wide angle. To my eye, her face is distorted in a non-complimentary way. It looks like her chin was closer to the camera, resulting in perspective distortion making it look bigger. In both of the shots it looks like the camera decided that the nearer parts of the hair were more important for focus instead of her eyes. Never trust your camera to make the right decision.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

sjammer
THREAD ­ STARTER
691 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 25, 2013 11:32 as a reply to  @ joedlh's post |  #4

Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it. I will keep practicing.

Kanye
670 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 25, 2013 16:26 |  #5

WB seems weird.

Maybe add cooling filtering.

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 26, 2013 20:55 |  #6

First attempt? We should all be so fortunate!

Here's a version imagining warm late afternoon light through the slider.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Naraly
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 27, 2013 20:24 |  #7

It's great that your daughter is kind enough to pose for you! I know first hand how difficult it can be sometimes to get a kid to smile naturally. I like the first, and I like AZGeorge's edit on it.

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

sjammer
THREAD ­ STARTER
691 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 27, 2013 21:57 as a reply to  @ Naraly's post |  #8

Thanks for the feedback.

AZGeorge - I like your edit of the pic. What software did you use? I only have LR4, which I think I can use to get similar results.

Naraly - fortunately my daughter loves to have her picture taken. The hard part is getting her stay still for a few seconds.

dmnelson
Goldmember
1,286 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 29, 2013 02:48 |  #9

I like the exposure and white balance of the first one. It appears very close to how I imagine it would have looked in reality. I also like the smile in that shot. It looks more genuine and not forced. Finally, I like jetcode's idea of cropping away some of the margin on the left. But I'd leave the right side as-is, she needs a little breathing room on one side.

Gear | Flickr (external link)

dcsmith40D
543 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 29, 2013 22:38 |  #10

She is a pretty model.
Here is my try in LR.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 40D; 50 f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS L, 580 EX II, 1.4 TC, 24-70 f2.8 L, (2) 430 EX II

David

dcsmith40D
543 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 30, 2013 21:24 |  #11

When I first looked at your pictures I thought they were OK. I looked at the others comments and the other edit and thought ok.

It wasn't until I took a shot at it that I realized you nailed the eyes in that first photo. I am no expert at pp by any means. But, I can't get over how good that picture looks.

I have a 5 year old granddaughter that is pretty as a speckled pup too. I thought...I'll go find one similar to the one you have of your daughter and pp it and end up with an equally good picture. After looking through my photos, I realized that I never nailed the eyes like you have.

I think you did good.

Canon 40D; 50 f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS L, 580 EX II, 1.4 TC, 24-70 f2.8 L, (2) 430 EX II

David

tmoore323
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 30, 2013 22:20 |  #12

dcsmith40D wrote in post #16565655 (external link)
When I first looked at your pictures I thought they were OK. I looked at the others comments and the other edit and thought ok.

It wasn't until I took a shot at it that I realized you nailed the eyes in that first photo. I am no expert at pp by any means. But, I can't get over how good that picture looks.

I have a 5 year old granddaughter that is pretty as a speckled pup too. I thought...I'll go find one similar to the one you have of your daughter and pp it and end up with an equally good picture. After looking through my photos, I realized that I never nailed the eyes like you have.

I think you did good.

Well said, we can offer PP advise but you did "nail it"

dmnelson
Goldmember
1,286 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 30, 2013 23:38 |  #13

Love that last edit! Nice work.

Gear | Flickr (external link)

sjammer
THREAD ­ STARTER
691 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 01, 2014 22:09 |  #14

Thank you all for the comments. When I get a chance I will take some more pics and post them.

russ71satellite
Goldmember
2,295 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 02, 2014 22:01 |  #15

I like pic one as well, and the eyes there are indeed nice and sharp

Canon EOS 5D, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, Yongnuo YN560II, Dynaphos strobe, 16 inch beauty dish, Vagabond mini.
https://www.facebook.c​om/Rj2photoconcepts1?r​ef=h (external link)
https://www.flickr.com …s/rj2_photoconc​epts/page1 (external link)flickr

sponsored links

2,337 views & 0 likes for this thread
1st Attempt at a portrait of my daughter.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.