Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 23 Dec 2013 (Monday) 17:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Long exposure with 10 stop filter - CC and editing advice?

Engineersix
68 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 23, 2013 17:01 |  #1

Maybe not the most interesting subject matter - but I'm really after some feedback on the edit and suggestions for improvement please...

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7340/11517135785_de86877f9f_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/rabc3/115171357​85/  (external link)
A good place for a long wait... (external link) by Rabc3 (external link), on Flickr

I am using Lightroom 5 where I'm at enthusiastic beginner level, I have Elements 12 but there I'd classify myself as 'clueless' :)

I'd really appreciate any tips and advice on what I should be doing to raise my game a bit - I enjoy the trial and error process, but could do with a bit of a kick start!

Thanks,

Rob

Be gentle, I'm new to all this!
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com …3/sets/72157636​178269434/ (external link) The aim is to show improvement as you scroll down!

sponsored links
Qbx
Goldmember
3,957 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 24, 2013 07:51 |  #2

What are you trying for here? Why an ND filter at all?
The motion of the weeds at the shore is distracting so you might clone that out if you like this scene.
I think you should use the ND when you have some more active water motion going on. A calm river doesn't lend itself to it. The B&W work looks good but as you know you might do with a better subject.

-- Image Editing OK --

cerett
821 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 24, 2013 08:23 |  #3

Qbx wrote in post #16550895 (external link)
What are you trying for here? Why an ND filter at all?
The motion of the weeds at the shore is distracting so you might clone that out if you like this scene.
I think you should use the ND when you have some more active water motion going on. A calm river doesn't lend itself to it. The B&W work looks good but as you know you might do with a better subject.

Totally agree. No real purpose for a 10 stop ND here other than giving some motion to the clouds. You need to go where there is moving water. The seashore really lends itself to these types of exposures.

https://www.martinfeld​manphotography.com (external link)

Engineersix
THREAD ­ STARTER
68 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 24, 2013 11:06 |  #4

Thanks both for your replies - I understand what you are saying, the water needs to be moving to get more effect from the long exposure. I appreciate the feedback and the comment regarding the B&W conversion - I will have another look at images of the style I am after and might post an example. Most shots are indeed of the ocean rather than a still lake.

Thanks again and Happy Christmas,

Rob

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com …3/sets/72157636​178269434/ (external link) The aim is to show improvement as you scroll down!

tmoore323
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 24, 2013 14:19 |  #5

I think this shot would have been nicer if you had taken the long exposure, but also took a single exposure and blended together the pieces - like the weeds that should be stationary...

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 24, 2013 14:33 |  #6

I like your image. It works well for me. Here you are offering the viewer a way to walk into the scene and have a seat on this bench over looking this body of water. And I knew it was UK as soon as I opened the thread. B/W works great for British Isle weather. Well done. I wouldn't change anything in this image.

Shoot more.

Engineersix
THREAD ­ STARTER
68 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 24, 2013 16:16 |  #7

tmoore323 wrote in post #16551684 (external link)
I think this shot would have been nicer if you had taken the long exposure, but also took a single exposure and blended together the pieces - like the weeds that should be stationary...

Thanks - I totally agree, but sadly well beyond my PP ability, something I need to work on in the new year!

jetcode wrote in post #16551713 (external link)
I like your image. It works well for me. Here you are offering the viewer a way to walk into the scene and have a seat on this bench over looking this body of water. And I knew it was UK as soon as I opened the thread. B/W works great for British Isle weather. Well done. I wouldn't change anything in this image.

Shoot more.

Cheers Jetcode, the constructive critism is welcomed but it's always nice to hear something positive and encouraging also! Still very much a 'newbie' I am aware of my ability level but I'm very keen to get better, no matter if it takes a while!

All the best,

Rob

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 24, 2013 17:08 |  #8

The effect of motion suggests shooting a view camera with an aperture of f/32 on slow film. This would give an equivalent exposure to a 10 stop ND. Perhaps this is why I gravitate towards this image. It looks old school. And it's sharp and the contrast is excellent.

Rob here are some statistics to give you a bit of relief concerning this sport. Galen Rowell once said in a master class that he shot over 1,000,000 images. 300,000 were stock. 1,000 were top images. He had around 10 favorites. The only difference between a pro and amatuer is how many images hit the trash can. The pro will only save the best images. Two of my favorites from the UK are Larry Bartlett who was a master printer, and Eddie Ephrams who shot 35mm film.

Larry was sought out by the photojournalist because he produced remarkable prints. All his techniques can be deployed in Photoshop.
http://www.amazon.com …ng-Workshop/dp/0863433669 (external link)

Looks like Eddie is teaching workshops. It's a great investment. His Creative Elements book is chalk filled with great B/W photography of the British Isles.
http://www.ephraums.co​m/ (external link)

Engineersix
THREAD ­ STARTER
68 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 26, 2013 10:26 |  #9

Thanks Jetcode - really interesting post and will have a look at the links, very much appreciate it...

RENKEEN
524 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 26, 2013 11:46 |  #10

i like this image it lends itself nicely to the b/w conversion....The motion of the weeds at the water line is distracting (some thing to remember for improvement ) but it's sharp and the contrast is excellent.....Well done

Stuff....

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 26, 2013 16:51 |  #11

To me the water looks like ice, all the same tone and therefore becomes a point of non intrigue. For me this image lack light, looks like it was taken on a dull overcast day. Good photographs are all about having good/great light!

Naraly
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 27, 2013 20:29 |  #12

I think it's nice. I would have liked to see the bench a little lower in the frame, and cloning out those moving weeds by the water would be nice :). I like it in B&W because this image as a whole, with the empty bench, makes me think of "saying goodbye", like I could image in it being a photo telling the story of someone that used to always sit on that bench to appreciate the scenery, but passed away, and this photo is "in memory of". Or maybe I just had too many chocolates.

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

tmoore323
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 28, 2013 00:04 |  #13

had a play, all in cs5

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1259.photobuck​et.com …tonowhere_zps25​a4a3e5.png (external link)

Engineersix
THREAD ­ STARTER
68 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 29, 2013 11:21 |  #14

Naraly wrote in post #16558497 (external link)
I think it's nice. I would have liked to see the bench a little lower in the frame, and cloning out those moving weeds by the water would be nice :). I like it in B&W because this image as a whole, with the empty bench, makes me think of "saying goodbye", like I could image in it being a photo telling the story of someone that used to always sit on that bench to appreciate the scenery, but passed away, and this photo is "in memory of". Or maybe I just had too many chocolates.

Cheers Nora - agree with everything you say, I appreciate your interpretation - that feeling of emptiness was what I was trying for, keep eating the chocolates! :)

tmoore323 wrote in post #16558818 (external link)
had a play, all in cs5

Thanks - it does look better without the blurry weeds! My new years resolution is to open Elements 12 and try and learn how to use it!

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 29, 2013 13:39 |  #15

Engineersix wrote in post #16561755 (external link)
Thanks - it does look better without the blurry weeds!

That is if you'd rather entertain PS editing artifacts instead. Blurry weeds are NORMAL for long exposures. It is the only way wind can be captured. Your original print works very well. If you can get to a library see if you can find some books by Stieglitz. He was a master of early 20th century photography. You have an iconic look in your image that may be lost to less informed minds and processing junkies.

sponsored links

2,337 views & 0 likes for this thread
Long exposure with 10 stop filter - CC and editing advice?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.