Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Nov 2013 (Sunday) 08:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is owning a Canon Rebel a joke?

6-string59
68 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 27, 2013 20:27 |  #646

DC Fan wrote in post #16551377 (external link)
The "Rebel" trade name has been used by Canon since the mid 1990's. The same model cameras are called "Kiss" in Japan, a name that offends and amuses the same people who dislike "Rebel," people who generally are more concerned about names and reputations than photographs.

Exactly. It was actually brilliant marketing on Canon's part, in that with a less dry alpha-numeric designation, giving a catchy name makes it sound a little more approachable to the masses. I can't speak for Japan, but looking at the North American market, the Rebel line have been among one of the highest selling DSLR's, period.
Their advertising targets everyone, from beginners, to enthusiasts, the deadfast point and shoot crowd (emphasizing how easy it can be to use a DSLR), soccer moms, etc.
To me, it's just another Canon, and I generally don't care what the nameplate says....Though in all honesty, if "Kiss" was the only nameplate available in my market, then I may just have to put my trusty black Sharpie to work! :o At least with the crowd I run with! LOL.

sponsored links
SunTsu
Goldmember
1,591 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 27, 2013 21:19 |  #647

Boone13 wrote in post #16550853 (external link)
Agreed! The cam isn't a joke, the "pro" behind the lens can be. I have a T4i and have taken some phenomenal shots with it! In my opinion, people get too caught up on gear instead of just getting out and taking great pics.

Yet here we all are reading a message board about camera gear.

Canon 5D Mark II+BG-E6, Canon 5D+BG-E4 | 200-400mmL IS, 85mm F1.2L II, TS-E 17mm F4.0L , 16-35mm F2.8L II, 24-105mmL IS, 70-200mm [COLOR=#000000]F2.8L II IS, 100mm F2.8L Macro IS, 100mm F2.8 Macro, 40mm F2.8, 1.4x II, 2.0x III | EF12+25 II | Canon 600EX-RT (x5) | Gitzo support
Full Gear List

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 27, 2013 21:22 |  #648

SunTsu wrote in post #16558611 (external link)
Yet here we all are reading a message board about camera gear.

Touche!

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 28, 2013 04:00 |  #649

6-string59 wrote in post #16558495 (external link)
Exactly. It was actually brilliant marketing on Canon's part, in that with a less dry alpha-numeric designation, giving a catchy name makes it sound a little more approachable to the masses. I can't speak for Japan, but looking at the North American market, the Rebel line have been among one of the highest selling DSLR's, period.

You want to know a shocker? They sell well in Europe too despite not having any "brilliant marketing" "catchy name".

Maybe, just maybe, it's the price point that makes them sell well. After all, entry-level products tends to sell better than gear that costs several times more - not too many people buy million-dollar cars either...

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Codda
222 posts
Joined May 2011

Dec 28, 2013 07:00 |  #650

DC Fan wrote in post #16551377 (external link)
The "Rebel" trade name has been used by Canon since the mid 1990's. The same model cameras are called "Kiss" in Japan, a name that offends and amuses the same people who dislike "Rebel," people who generally are more concerned about names and reputations than photographs.

The Rebel name was heavily marketed during the height of Andre Agassi's tennis career when he did promo work for Canon. He was popular well beyond tennis fans. They had some pretty good commercials for the line at that time.

sudipto_roy
508 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 28, 2013 09:28 |  #651

Not linked to the subject immediately under discussion but to the title of the thread - here is a link to this year's BBC Young Wildlife Photographer of the Year's photo. It was taken with a Canon 550D.

http://www.nhm.ac.uk …her-s-little-headful.html (external link)

Just goes to show it is not the camera that gets the prize. It is the image that counts. You can always say that wouldn't it be a better photograph if it was taken with a 5D? Of course yes. But does it really matter? No.

7D with 400 F 5.6 for birds
5D Mk II with 24-70 for everything else

johneo
Goldmember
1,428 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Dec 28, 2013 10:21 |  #652

You're using a Canon Rebel? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA​!!!!!!

OK, I am just joking!!!

As some have mentioned, it's the person behind the camera that makes good (or bad) photos, not the camera! Granted, the Rebel might not have all the features of a more up to date camera but you will still get great photos if you learn how to do so, no matter the camera.

I've always looked at my camera gear upgrades as a challenge or learning curve that might make me want to venture into MORE types of photography.

I find myself constantly searching for the latest & greatest upgrades in Canon gear, wishing, hoping and thinking what I can do with it ... actually haven't bought much recently due to some life changes, BUT my photography gets back on track in a few days!!!

Keep it fun and enjoy what you are shooting and learn from each shot and as you feel the need, upgrade!!! (if you think it will help!)

2 - 5DMKII's, Powershot SX 150 IS
7D, 5D, IR/5D, 10D, IR/10D, Elan 7NE
17-40 L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100-400 L IS,
TS-E 24 f/3.5 L, 28-135 IS (x2), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8 550EX, 430EX
40mm pancake

6-string59
68 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 28, 2013 10:28 |  #653

pwm2 wrote in post #16559022 (external link)
You want to know a shocker? They sell well in Europe too despite not having any "brilliant marketing" "catchy name".

Maybe, just maybe, it's the price point that makes them sell well. After all, entry-level products tends to sell better than gear that costs several times more - not too many people buy million-dollar cars either...

Oh sure! price point is huge, but I'm speaking brand to brand, comparable features, and pricepoint, there is no denying that their marketing has been great, and very beneficial here in North America. I mean for quite a while we had a Rebel campain that showed people packing them along as conveniently a point and shoots. It's funny because when I've mentioned Canon DSLR's in some circles, those who don't really know the regional designations, but are more gear pricepoint snobs some have said things akin to 'Well, at least it's not a Rebel". Well...... it actually is. Conversely, I've had some younger people come up interested while I'm shooting, they see the Rebel badge, and they go "Cool! a Rebel! I want one", or "I'm getting one".
I meant no disrespect or ignorance to the European market.
It has been a huge driver in sales here though, because they are also selling a lifestyle with the product name, and upbeat, busy advertising. A guy who works at a local camera store I frequent says the new SL1 is selling like mad, and it's mainly women who are buying them. Not that it's a girly camera....it's small, but partly because the ad on TV here right now is showing a mom conveniently pulling out her camera and rattling off shot after perfect shot of her son kicking the ball around the soccer field. It was their best seller over the Christmas and Boxing Day rush.
Price? Of course...but there is no disputing that showing a camera design once perceived as a rather bulky, "complicated" aperatus to the point and shoot crowd or casual user, as a viable option to "take anywhere...get great shots" has been a huge driver.

awesomeshots
Goldmember
1,220 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 28, 2013 10:43 |  #654

You own a canon rebel? Oh man...that is the biggest joke of a camera. I don't know how you can walk around with that shame around your neck. Do people point and laugh at you when you are out and about taking pictures with that?

Naaaahhhh!!! J/K brother. Like the other couple of hundred posts stated, rebel is a great camera and it'll take great pictures. I started with a T2i and I actually am little sorry that I sold that camera. :(

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 6D, Canon 24-70 F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/4L IS, 135mm 2.0 L, 85mm 1.8, Speedlite 430 II.

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 28, 2013 11:19 |  #655

The only joke I see is the thread itself.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 28, 2013 12:54 |  #656

6-string59 wrote in post #16559555 (external link)
Oh sure! price point is huge, but I'm speaking brand to brand, comparable features, and pricepoint, there is no denying that their marketing has been great, and very beneficial here in North America. I mean for quite a while we had a Rebel campain that showed people packing them along as conveniently a point and shoots. It's funny because when I've mentioned Canon DSLR's in some circles, those who don't really know the regional designations, but are more gear pricepoint snobs some have said things akin to 'Well, at least it's not a Rebel". Well...... it actually is. Conversely, I've had some younger people come up interested while I'm shooting, they see the Rebel badge, and they go "Cool! a Rebel! I want one", or "I'm getting one".
I meant no disrespect or ignorance to the European market.
It has been a huge driver in sales here though, because they are also selling a lifestyle with the product name, and upbeat, busy advertising. A guy who works at a local camera store I frequent says the new SL1 is selling like mad, and it's mainly women who are buying them. Not that it's a girly camera....it's small, but partly because the ad on TV here right now is showing a mom conveniently pulling out her camera and rattling off shot after perfect shot of her son kicking the ball around the soccer field. It was their best seller over the Christmas and Boxing Day rush.
Price? Of course...but there is no disputing that showing a camera design once perceived as a rather bulky, "complicated" aperatus to the point and shoot crowd or casual user, as a viable option to "take anywhere...get great shots" has been a huge driver.

Just that my 350D got bought while they had a huge marketing project presenting the 350D to the europeans.

While they might have decided to make heavy use of the name "Rebel" in the US, they could just as well have named the cameras xxxD and used the european ad campaigns instead. The end result would have been the same. Because the camera, under whatever name the ad campaign might run, still delivers excellent performance at an extremely affordable price.

So I'm still quite convinced that the names Kiss or Rebel hasn't really affected the quantity cameras sold. All it has affected is the actual presentation of the ads.

A rose by any other name is still a rose.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

madasax
509 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Dec 28, 2013 12:57 |  #657

Yea I loved my t2i - I just love the features of my 7D more ;)

Current Gear: 70D - Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 - 24 2.8stm - 50 1.8 stm -

6-string59
68 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 28, 2013 13:37 |  #658

pwm2 wrote in post #16559830 (external link)
Just that my 350D got bought while they had a huge marketing project presenting the 350D to the europeans.

While they might have decided to make heavy use of the name "Rebel" in the US, they could just as well have named the cameras xxxD and used the european ad campaigns instead. The end result would have been the same. Because the camera, under whatever name the ad campaign might run, still delivers excellent performance at an extremely affordable price.

So I'm still quite convinced that the names Kiss or Rebel hasn't really affected the quantity cameras sold. All it has affected is the actual presentation of the ads.

Yeah...Fair enough. It may just depend on the market...but people like you and me.....doesn't really matter. Like I said...I still often say "600D" from habit because before I bought my camera, many of the websites I frequented, YT channels I looked at when making a decision on a good knockaround DSLR... that's what it was reffered to as....but then I'm more about real life reviews as opposed to company marketing measures, or gimmicky names. I mean even magazines with supposedly "unbiased" reviews ring more of the company line copy compared to solid long term test results. That happens in all gear driven interests, and professions.
My choice involved price vs. performance, and a body that I would not worry about should something happen in some of the venues I shoot, or outgrow to quickly.
It's been great for me.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,626 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 28, 2013 14:31 |  #659

pwm2 wrote in post #16559830 (external link)

I'm not so sure about that. I've heard at least one person tell me that they went with a Rebel because the Nikon cameras names confused them. With Canon they knew that there were two rebel models to choose from, the Tx and the Txi series, the latter being the better one, then after that the lower the number, the "better" the camera.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,555 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 28, 2013 14:55 |  #660

my joke has seen some good years

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2872/11610466084_142044fbac_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/peeaanuut/11610​466084/  (external link)
Joke (external link) by peeaanuut (external link), on Flickr

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

sponsored links

75,745 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is owning a Canon Rebel a joke?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.