Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Dec 2013 (Wednesday) 11:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Suggestion needed between Tokina vs Canon UWA lens

Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 28, 2013 11:27 |  #31

I have the Tokina 12-24. Never used the Canon 10-22. That being said, I love the Tokina. It's superbly built. The color and contrast is excellent, and the flare can be controlled for the most part. The canon 10-22 is definitively not built as well. I held them in he store side by side. I don't work for either canon or tokina, but I can tell you that the tokina is a great lens.

sponsored links
jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 28, 2013 14:52 |  #32

After reading this thread. it's amazing how build quality supersedes image quality.:lol:

Jim
Gear List

Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 28, 2013 14:58 |  #33

The tokina has both. I'm not saying the canon is no good, only speaking for the tokina.

nightcat
Goldmember
4,513 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 28, 2013 15:09 |  #34

jbrackjr wrote in post #16560037 (external link)
After reading this thread. it's amazing how build quality supersedes image quality.:lol:

When I tried out both at the same time at a camera store in Chicago. The Tokina was just slightly sharper and had a much better build. I purchased the Tokina primarily due to the better IQ. The better build and the 2.8 and the fact that it was far less expensive were all secondary reasons. So... don't worry... image quality still reigns as most important.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 28, 2013 15:33 |  #35

nightcat wrote in post #16560069 (external link)
When I tried out both at the same time at a camera store in Chicago. The Tokina was just slightly sharper and had a much better build. I purchased the Tokina primarily due to the better IQ. The better build and the 2.8 and the fact that it was far less expensive were all secondary reasons. So... don't worry... image quality still reigns as most important.

I suppose it depends on whether you consider flare and chromatic aberration as indicators of image quality. Personally, I prefer to have as little of each as possible.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 28, 2013 15:49 |  #36

I'm not a professional. I'm pretty happy with my 12-24.

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 28, 2013 16:49 |  #37

I have the 11-16 and it will flare easily and readily LOL! But I still use it. It isn't that hard to control and you can see it when you're getting ready to take your shot. My hand, or baseball cap if I'm wearing one, works perfectly fine at blocking the sun in the offending area. :)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 29, 2013 11:23 |  #38

BrickR wrote in post #16560257 (external link)
I have the 11-16 and it will flare easily and readily LOL! But I still use it. It isn't that hard to control and you can see it when you're getting ready to take your shot. My hand, or baseball cap if I'm wearing one, works perfectly fine at blocking the sun in the offending area. :)

And the newer version of the 11-16 is supposed to have better coatings to reduce flare compared to the original.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

RayinAlaska
425 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 29, 2013 11:37 |  #39

BrickR wrote in post #16560257 (external link)

Yes, and photographers who use perhaps the best wide zoom lens around, the Nikon 12-24 f/2.8, often use the hand or hat trick. All ultra wide zooms that have such a wide aperture and bulbous lens in front are prone to flare.

Searching the following will result in a lot of photos with flare:

"Canon 16-35 and flare"
"Nikon 12-24 f/2.8 and flare"
"Tokina 11-16 and flare"

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 29, 2013 11:42 |  #40

archer1960 wrote in post #16561762 (external link)
And the newer version of the 11-16 is supposed to have better coatings to reduce flare compared to the original.

All the reports I've read say there's virtually zero difference.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 29, 2013 13:13 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #41
bannedPermanent ban

Some people never give up!

Let's look at B&H sales...95% recommendations among buyers.
Let's look at Amazon sales...all 5 star and 4 star ratings...2 lower then 4 star (neither due to flare).

Imagine if there was no flare problem! In other words, flare is a non-issue among these people. Buyers/owners love this lens! Naysayers be gone!

Dave

basketballfreak6
Goldmember
1,449 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 29, 2013 14:55 |  #42

Bakewell wrote in post #16562004 (external link)
Some people never give up!

Let's look at B&H sales...95% recommendations among buyers.
Let's look at Amazon sales...all 5 star and 4 star ratings...2 lower then 4 star (neither due to flare).

Imagine if there was no flare problem! In other words, flare is a non-issue among these people. Buyers/owners love this lens! Naysayers be gone!

i owned the lens and flare was a real problem for me, threw away a lot of good photos because of the ugly flare

please show me how to deal with flare during a beach sunrise where sea spray is a real problem and where i am using 2 if not sometimes 3 filters stacked together and the exposure time is 2 minutes long, without compromising composition

just because it's not a problem for YOU, doesn't mean it's not a problem for someone else

btw, don't bother responding/trying to argue with me unless it's about the solution to my problem above, i really couldn't care less about what your thoughts are on this lens or to convince you otherwise, i'm merely providing an OPINION and stating a problem of MINE when i had the lens, in order to help someone else in making his/her decision on the purchase of a new lens, which is THEIR CHOICE in the end, i feel no need to proclaim a "winning lens" or get upset if someone else don't take up my recommendation, in which you seems to be hell bent on proving "naysayers" wrong

https://www.instagram.​com/tony.liu.photograp​hy/ (external link)
flickr (external link)
https://500px.com/tony​_liu_photography (external link)
5DIV, 5DIII, modified 760D, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L II f/2.8, 70-200L IS II f/2.8, S150-600 f/5-6.3 SPORT, S14 f/1.8 ART, S50 f/1.4 ART, S135 f/1.8 ART, 100L IS Macro f/2.8

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 29, 2013 15:07 |  #43
bannedPermanent ban

basketballfreak6 wrote in post #16562233 (external link)
i owned the lens and flare was a real problem for me, threw away a lot of good photos because of the ugly flare

please show me how to deal with flare during a beach sunrise where sea spray is a real problem and where i am using 2 if not sometimes 3 filters stacked together and the exposure time is 2 minutes long, without compromising composition

just because it's not a problem for YOU, doesn't mean it's not a problem for someone else

btw, don't bother responding/trying to argue with me unless it's about the solution to my problem above, i really couldn't care less about what your thoughts are on this lens or to convince you otherwise, i'm merely providing an OPINION and stating a problem of MINE when i had the lens, in order to help someone else in making his/her decision on the purchase of a new lens, which is THEIR CHOICE in the end, i feel no need to proclaim a "winning lens" or get upset if someone else don't take up my recommendation

Sorry your day is not going well.

Maybe there is NO solution. All UWA can flare especially with three filters which sounds a little extreme (OPINION). Are you saying that under identical conditions a Canon 10-22 had zero issues? Are you saying all these satisfied people are wrong? Your point is?

Dave

basketballfreak6
Goldmember
1,449 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 29, 2013 15:19 |  #44

my day has just started and it's been fine up to this point thank you, as matter of fact i am buying a new tv after work today (which i am heading off to now) and get 2 days off over new years, so pretty stoked in fact

when i stacked 3 filters i used a cpl, nd and reverse grad, so no, i don't think it's that extreme for a particular shot i wanted

and flare is an issue with all lenses, but after using my 17-40 for awhile now i can safely say it is MUCH LESS of an issue compared to my old tokina, it rarely flares and when it does it's much much more manageable and easier to clean up in post (thought admittedly i am not that skilled in post) compared to my tokina 11-16 where a lot of them are just throw aways, mate of mine that comes along with me for shoots uses 10-22 on his 7d and he rarely have issues with flare as well

and in regards to me supposedly trying to say all these satisfied people are wrong what my point is, do read my original post again, good day :)

https://www.instagram.​com/tony.liu.photograp​hy/ (external link)
flickr (external link)
https://500px.com/tony​_liu_photography (external link)
5DIV, 5DIII, modified 760D, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L II f/2.8, 70-200L IS II f/2.8, S150-600 f/5-6.3 SPORT, S14 f/1.8 ART, S50 f/1.4 ART, S135 f/1.8 ART, 100L IS Macro f/2.8

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 29, 2013 15:23 |  #45
bannedPermanent ban

basketballfreak6 wrote in post #16562300 (external link)
my day has just started and it's been fine up to this point thank you, as matter of fact i am buying a new tv after work today (which i am heading off to now) and get 2 days off over new years, so pretty stoked in fact

when i stacked 3 filters i used a cpl, nd and reverse grad, so no, i don't think it's that extreme for a particular shot i wanted

and flare is an issue with all lenses, but after using my 17-40 for awhile now i can safely say it is MUCH LESS of an issue compared to my old tokina, it rarely flares and when it does it's much much more manageable and easier to clean up in post (thought admittedly i am not that skilled in post) compared to my tokina 11-16 where a lot of them are just throw aways, mate of mine that comes along with me for shoots uses 10-22 on his 7d and he rarely have issues with flare as well

and in regards to me supposedly trying to say all these satisfied people are wrong what my point is, do read my original post again, good day :)

I'm happy for you. Enjoy your new TV!

Dave

sponsored links

4,255 views & 0 likes for this thread
Suggestion needed between Tokina vs Canon UWA lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.