Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Dec 2013 (Saturday) 03:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bounce Card I made... did I put it in the right position for portraits?

Brea
45 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 28, 2013 03:14 |  #1

I bought a big white fan at a dollar store than just attached elastic bands to it... I attached the fan to the SIDE of the flash, is this correct? I will be shooting an event tomorrow, hoping to just use it as fill flash OUTDOORS, help please :(

http://gyazo.com …234af31c2dfb469​a644b5.png (external link)

sponsored links
mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,355 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 28, 2013 03:25 |  #2

Most of your light is going to be wasted going straight up. I'd rather have something above the flash to capture and bounce it forward. Like this: http://store.lumiquest​.com/lumiquest-big-bounce/ (external link)

Or just aim the flash at the subject and reduce power so it doesn't become too prominent.

Brea
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 28, 2013 03:35 |  #3

mike_d wrote in post #16558998 (external link)
Most of your light is going to be wasted going straight up. I'd rather have something above the flash to capture and bounce it forward. Like this: http://store.lumiquest​.com/lumiquest-big-bounce/ (external link)

Or just aim the flash at the subject and reduce power so it doesn't become too prominent.

For portrait orientation it doesn't matter does it? Because since the camera is on the flash it's off to the side right?

But for landscape, the reason why I am bouncing is because of the animal highlight "catchlight" in the eye and the straight on shadow off on the face makes it look flat. Bouncing it gives the skin a bit more depth... am i wrong? :confused: And also avoids the animal highlight "catchlight" in the eye.

tongki
439 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 28, 2013 04:49 |  #4

too BIG, it will be a problem for you rather than the usefull

EOS 70D x 2 units + EOS 7D mark II x3 units
Newton FR3, Newton modified bracket, EF 17-40mm x4,EF 24-70mm f/2.8 x2, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 x2
Quantum Trio x2, T5D-R x1 + FW7Q x1, CoPilot x2, Godox AD-180 x5
Propac PB960 head x12, PB960 battery x10
sorry, no stupid speedlite from Canon !

Brea
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 28, 2013 05:27 |  #5

tongki wrote in post #16559053 (external link)
too BIG, it will be a problem for you rather than the usefull

How so?

tongki
439 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 28, 2013 06:07 |  #6

Brea wrote in post #16559080 (external link)
How so?

a small speedlite has a very limited light spread based on the design of the speedlite,
so, I assume, you don't need that much of reflector for a small speedlite

IMAGE: http://gyazo.com/f6ec6543f9e234af31c2dfb469a644b5.png

EOS 70D x 2 units + EOS 7D mark II x3 units
Newton FR3, Newton modified bracket, EF 17-40mm x4,EF 24-70mm f/2.8 x2, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 x2
Quantum Trio x2, T5D-R x1 + FW7Q x1, CoPilot x2, Godox AD-180 x5
Propac PB960 head x12, PB960 battery x10
sorry, no stupid speedlite from Canon !

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Dec 28, 2013 07:05 |  #7

At the very least, you should bend the reflector forward (toward the subject) about 45° so that it reflects most of the light toward the subject. The fact that the reflector is significantly larger than the bare flash means that the reflected light should provide softer shadows on and behind the subject.

A significant improvement would be gained by using a flash bracket that holds the flash (and your reflector) directly above the lens regardless of the camera's position ("landscape" vs "portrait" position).

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Brea
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 28, 2013 07:48 |  #8

SkipD wrote in post #16559193 (external link)
At the very least, you should bend the reflector forward (toward the subject) about 45° so that it reflects most of the light toward the subject. The fact that the reflector is significantly larger than the bare flash means that the reflected light should provide softer shadows on and behind the subject.

A significant improvement would be gained by using a flash bracket that holds the flash (and your reflector) directly above the lens regardless of the camera's position ("landscape" vs "portrait" position).

Thanks for the advice! I know about brackets but could not afford one for tomorrow.

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 28, 2013 15:03 |  #9

The bigger the card the more like direct flash it will look.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 28, 2013 15:12 |  #10

Shooting wrote in post #16560059 (external link)
The bigger the card the more like direct flash it will look.

:confused: Are you referring to the quality of light or orientation of the shadows? I would say that the shadows won't be as obnoxious as with a bare flash coming from the side (orientation, I'm assuming that's what you're talking about?) But the light quality will definitely be better than bare flash, especially for headshots.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

jcpoulin
Goldmember
2,447 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 28, 2013 17:35 |  #11

Too big…too cumbersome…

1DX , 7D,16-35, 24-70 2.8II, 2.8L II, , 70-200 f2.8LII IS, 300 f2.8L IS, 500 f4 IS, 100-400L, Canon 100 2.8 macro, Canon 1.4X, 580ex, AB800X4
Canon CPS Member, PPA
www.capturingtimephoto​graphy.net (external link)

Wavy ­ C
857 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 28, 2013 18:19 |  #12

This would be okay for indoors, although maybe with a smaller fan, lol, but for fill-in flash outdoors you'd be better just using direct flash. Turn it down maybe one or two stops for a more natural look.

----------
It wasn't me!

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 29, 2013 13:07 |  #13

Don't have any issue with the basic DIY approach. The size isn't necessarily a negative either as it's the same as another product touted for wedding photographers in another thread here. You'll just be very conspicuous. However, I'd be concerned that your setup is not exactly functional. Mounting for portrait orientation as you show does not appear to catch enough light from the narrow side of the flash tube. I think you are better off shooting landscape so you can mount the fan like a normal bounce card and tilt the head as necessary like others suggest. You can crop the image to portrait if you must, while your lighting will still be better. Secondly, the current way and limited angle will have different and possibly unwanted effects depending on your distance to the subject. I fear your use as fill light as shown will come out uneven or exacerbate face shadows.

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 29, 2013 20:35 |  #14

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16560076 (external link)
:confused: Are you referring to the quality of light or orientation of the shadows? I would say that the shadows won't be as obnoxious as with a bare flash coming from the side (orientation, I'm assuming that's what you're talking about?) But the light quality will definitely be better than bare flash, especially for headshots.

Well, when I use my Large betterbouncecard it looks too much like direct flash, no
softness to it so if a soft betterbouncecard does that, what would that big paper plate do?

WillMass
663 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 29, 2013 20:54 |  #15

Better than asking a bunch of people you don't know, you should to test shots at various settings and see what YOU like. It's digital you have instant feedback

You can only fish for so long before you gotta throw a stick of dynamite in the water. :cool:
https://www.facebook.c​om/LiquidPixelsPhoto/ (external link)

sponsored links

8,087 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bounce Card I made... did I put it in the right position for portraits?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.