Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Dec 2013 (Saturday) 03:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bounce Card I made... did I put it in the right position for portraits?

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 29, 2013 22:25 |  #16

WillMass wrote in post #16563016 (external link)
Better than asking a bunch of people you don't know, you should to test shots at various settings and see what YOU like. It's digital you have instant feedback

Why post anything in the forum then? Isn't that how we get to know people here. Just a thought.

sponsored links
WillMass
663 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 30, 2013 11:53 |  #17

CAPhotog wrote in post #16563226 (external link)
Why post anything in the forum then? Isn't that how we get to know people here. Just a thought.

Well sure, if you want to emulate the unknown results of other people, who's work you're not necessarily familiar with. Besides you learn much more when you experiment, and get it right or fail, than you do by simply asking. At least that what my professor used to tell me when my lab experiments went up in smoke. :) I agree that asking and developing a baseline has a place. But I can assure you there are many people who's work I would not want to copy.

You can only fish for so long before you gotta throw a stick of dynamite in the water. :cool:
https://www.facebook.c​om/LiquidPixelsPhoto/ (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,356 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 30, 2013 12:53 |  #18

WillMass wrote in post #16564260 (external link)
Well sure, if you want to emulate the unknown results of other people, who's work you're not necessarily familiar with. Besides you learn much more when you experiment, and get it right or fail, than you do by simply asking. At least that what my professor used to tell me when my lab experiments went up in smoke. :) I agree that asking and developing a baseline has a place. But I can assure you there are many people who's work I would not want to copy.

While experimentation is great, asking others can send you in a direction you might not have thought of on your own. Its up to each person to decide for themselves which ideas work for them or not.

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 30, 2013 13:06 |  #19

I experiment PLUS ask for help or information on here. I have learned so much from those minds on here who know a lot more about lighting than I do. I have saved lots of money also but trying alternatives on here.

WillMass
663 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 30, 2013 13:45 |  #20

mike_d wrote in post #16564411 (external link)
While experimentation is great, asking others can send you in a direction you might not have thought of on your own. Its up to each person to decide for themselves which ideas work for them or not.

Yup, which is why I suggested it. Because the OP asked if she was "doing it right". I got the impression that she did not try it out to see what the results were. If the results were the results she wanted, then who cares, if it was done "right". I was involved in a recent discussion about constant light sources. For boudoir, I prefer using constant light rather than strobes. Sometimes I'll crank the ISO, and go places that some of my colleagues would not. They would say I'm "doing it wrong" but as long as I get the result my client and I want, who really cares if it's right or wrong?

You can only fish for so long before you gotta throw a stick of dynamite in the water. :cool:

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 30, 2013 15:42 |  #21

WillMass wrote in post #16564541 (external link)
Sometimes I'll crank the ISO, and go places that some of my colleagues would not.

ewwwww, that's just nasty.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

WillMass
663 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 30, 2013 17:59 |  #22

hes gone wrote in post #16564849 (external link)
=he's gone;16564849]ewwwww, that's just nasty.

Technically speaking that is. lol

Dan ­ Kearley
421 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 31, 2013 12:06 |  #23

I don't understand all these comments about it being too big. I can imagine it being cumbersome, but normally you want to increase the size of the light source. (hence bouncing it off the wall)

www.emotionalresponse.​ca (external link)

24Peter
821 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 31, 2013 22:39 |  #24

Brea wrote in post #16558994 (external link)
I bought a big white fan at a dollar store than just attached elastic bands to it... I attached the fan to the SIDE of the flash, is this correct? I will be shooting an event tomorrow, hoping to just use it as fill flash OUTDOORS, help please :(

http://gyazo.com …234af31c2dfb469​a644b5.png (external link)

Quite ghetto - but I like it! Generally speaking, bigger is better when it comes to on-camera (and also often off-camera) flash solutions. Since you're outside there is nothing to bounce the light off coming straight up from the flash, but you might get more traction from this setup than you think. Attaching to the side (rather than back) of the flash allows you to use in portrait orientation. But as others have mentioned a flash bracket might be a better choice. You can get a good flash bracket of ebay for $15.

Nikon D850/D750
Check out my new book: "Be Bigger Than You Think You Are!" (external link)
bebiggertoday.com (external link)
peteralessandriaphotog​raphy.com (external link)

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 01, 2014 06:07 |  #25

Shooting wrote in post #16560059 (external link)
The bigger the card the more like direct flash it will look.

I originally read this and thought - what is Shooting smoking?

But actually this is true in certain circumstances.

When a bounce card is pointing straight up, the larger the bounce card, the more light that will get reflected forward. There will be a point where the bounce card becomes so large that any forward reflected light will look very soft anyway, but for very small bounce cards, switching from a business card sized bounce card to an A4 sized bounce card will probably yield more harsher looking results due to the additional direct flash. Just a theory.

I don't use any bounce cards

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,924 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 01, 2014 13:09 |  #26

Here is a design you may me interested in. I made one for less than $10. However like smorter I'm not much of a bounce card user.

http://super.nova.org/​DPR/DIY01/ (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

SFzip
110 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 01, 2014 16:46 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #27

This is how you do it.

http://www.sunbounce.c​om …store=gb&___fro​m_store=de (external link)

IMAGE: http://www.sunbounce.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/_/1_bounce_wall.jpg
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

or this...

http://www.lighting-academy.com/index.php?​id=1010 (external link)
IMAGE: http://img.wonderhowto.com/img/33/05/63482892018606/0/diy-camera-mounted-flash-bounce-wall-does-wonders-for-your-photos-and-your-wallet.w654.jpg

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

chris_holtmeier
Goldmember
2,173 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 01, 2014 16:50 |  #28

^ at that point, why not just have a softbox on a wheeled stand, and tie a rope to my belt to pull the stand around with.

https://www.facebook.c​om/FotonFoto (external link)

tongki
439 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 01, 2014 17:43 |  #29

Dan Kearley wrote in post #16566860 (external link)
I don't understand all these comments about it being too big. I can imagine it being cumbersome, but normally you want to increase the size of the light source. (hence bouncing it off the wall)

it's different, you should understand physics,
also different purpose between bouncing on ceiling and bounce card purpose

EOS 70D x 2 units + EOS 7D mark II x3 units
Newton FR3, Newton modified bracket, EF 17-40mm x4,EF 24-70mm f/2.8 x2, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 x2
Quantum Trio x2, T5D-R x1 + FW7Q x1, CoPilot x2, Godox AD-180 x5
Propac PB960 head x12, PB960 battery x10
sorry, no stupid speedlite from Canon !

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 01, 2014 18:29 |  #30

SFzip wrote in post #16569917 (external link)
or this...

http://www.lighting-academy.com/index.php?​id=1010 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

given the choice, I'd choose being the guy in the post below, over being the guy in the post above.

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=15799998&p​ostcount=5

in fact, i'd rather miss the shot than be the guy in the plaid shirt. :lol:

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links

8,091 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bounce Card I made... did I put it in the right position for portraits?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.