Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Dec 2013 (Friday) 00:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

60D, 70D,Rebels, this D that D Txi?? gads too many!

BobsYourUncle
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 27, 2013 00:45 |  #1

Before digital I had the typical disease, an SLR and a suitcase full of gear - lenses, filters, flashes, on and on until I gave myself a hernia lugging all this stuff all over the holiday scene.
Got to the point where I didn't enjoy the holidays because of the hassle of hauling a ton of gear around.

I went digital 10 years ago, the G series. One camera, one lens, one flash, all on the same unit and I have had some amazing results, but.....

I have the fever again, I want a DSLR. I need the features a fixed lens camera cannot offer. I really like my G1X and my G11, but the limitations are getting to me, especially the shutter lag. Argh.

Now I'm looking at the Canon lineup and Gee whiz!

How on earth do you pick one?

My SIL got a T3i with 3 lenses and stuff. I play with it all the time and really want to slide back over to the SLR group.

But which one? I'm OK with entry level for now. Don't have 7G for a 1Ds4 body.

But I see so many in the same field. 60D 6D 70D 7D 5D this D the other D until I go crosseyed.

How does one distinguish the difference on all these cameras? I mean really? There are so many of them that I find it hard to figure out which one to buy.
I am going to get one but which one? They have similar specs, similar sensors and all that. How do you decide the difference and what to use?

I know some frown at the Rebel series. Why? I don't know.

I am looking at a T5i and some glass to get me going for now. Cheap enough, I can get outfitted for about 1200 or so...

Any thoughts?

Set Goals!! If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!
EOS 70D
G1X .... and this other stuff
G11 and
380EX & 430EX
G9 - DEAD (self destructed) I'll fix it one day!

sponsored links
DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,880 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 27, 2013 01:46 |  #2

BobsYourUncle wrote in post #16556528 (external link)
Before digital I had the typical disease, an SLR and a suitcase full of gear - lenses, filters, flashes, on and on until I gave myself a hernia lugging all this stuff all over the holiday scene.
Got to the point where I didn't enjoy the holidays because of the hassle of hauling a ton of gear around.

I went digital 10 years ago, the G series. One camera, one lens, one flash, all on the same unit and I have had some amazing results, but.....

I have the fever again, I want a DSLR. I need the features a fixed lens camera cannot offer. I really like my G1X and my G11, but the limitations are getting to me, especially the shutter lag. Argh.

Now I'm looking at the Canon lineup and Gee whiz!

How on earth do you pick one?

My SIL got a T3i with 3 lenses and stuff. I play with it all the time and really want to slide back over to the SLR group.

But which one? I'm OK with entry level for now. Don't have 7G for a 1Ds4 body.

But I see so many in the same field. 60D 6D 70D 7D 5D this D the other D until I go crosseyed.

How does one distinguish the difference on all these cameras? I mean really? There are so many of them that I find it hard to figure out which one to buy.
I am going to get one but which one? They have similar specs, similar sensors and all that. How do you decide the difference and what to use?

I know some frown at the Rebel series. Why? I don't know.

I am looking at a T5i and some glass to get me going for now. Cheap enough, I can get outfitted for about 1200 or so...

Any thoughts?

A radically old-fashioned concept is to purchase the least expensive suitable camera body.

dinifra
436 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 27, 2013 01:46 |  #3

Very simply:
XXXD: entry level
XXD: semi pro
XD: pro with the exception of 7D that is in the middle between XXD and XD.

Canon EOS 400D - Canon EOS 77D - Tamron 17-50 f2.8 XR Di II AF - Canon 70-200 f/4 EF L IS - Flash Nissin Di866
My Flickr (external link)

Lloydd
374 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 27, 2013 04:25 |  #4

Generally the timeline at the bottom of this will give you a fair idea

http://en.wikipedia.or​g …Canon_EOS_digit​al_cameras (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,734 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Dec 27, 2013 05:10 |  #5

Well for starters, there is no 1ds4. :)

What is your budget? Is it 1200 cad, or more?

Perhaps a 60d? I don't like the rebels for extended shooting, they are not as comfortable as the larger cameras, for me anyways.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,497 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 27, 2013 09:46 |  #6

OP, Fall 2011 I was in you shoes. Coming from SLRs in the 70's to 90's and the P&S (rangefinder film and digital).

I chose the 60D based on the ergonomics and the 'feel' knowing full well that the Rebels of the time were just as capable sensorwise. I also chose a 'superzoom', the EF-S 18-200 because I wanted to explore the whole focal length range from wide to telephoto and figure out what (good) lenses I wanted to buy afterwards.

You could choose the 60D which at presents sells at a fantastically low price, or spend nearly twice as much for the 70D, and have a camera that will not be obsolete in the next 2-3 years...

I know you will hear a whole bunch of people going for full frame either through the Holy Relic (5D) the toned down featureswise 6D or the rather expensive 5DIII... I would recommend you start with a crop and the less expensive, expensive lenses (yeah a EF-S 17-55 is less expensive than a EF 24-70 MkII but it's still bloody expensive...) and as you become more familiar with dSLRs you can decide your own way.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,937 posts
Gallery: 1382 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 27, 2013 15:22 |  #7

Heya,

What do you shoot? What's your main focus?
What's your maximum budget?

I ask because if you're just capturing images for fun, there's a lot of options. If you're trying to get the "best" there's a few options. If you're wanting the best for nighttime, there's a handful of options. And then there's the plethora of lenses to cover your bases too.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

BobsYourUncle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 28, 2013 02:10 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #8

Thanks for the input guys.

I shoot for pleasure, not as a pro.

I take a lot of pics, but it is still just a hobby. A hobby that started when I got my first camera at about 6 years old.

I shoot a lot of projects that I build - solariums, patio covers, other construction stuff. I also shoot a lot of my kids and grandkids. Different events, Christmas, Easter etc. I'm always the one taking all the pics.
I would like to be able to get pics of moving objects too. Planes, cars etc.

So I don't need a pro camera like a 1D. (yeah I oopsed on the 1DS4 in the OP)

But I do want to get better results of my family shots, especially in the lighting. MIght even get into doing portrait stuff for the family. Not as a pro though, family only.

I expect my initial outlay will be about 1 grand or so. Maybe 1200. I can always buy better glass and things later.

dinifra - good explanation, thanks.
Lloydd - thanks for the link - great info.

EOS 70D
G11 and
380EX & 430EX

dinifra
436 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 28, 2013 06:25 |  #9

BobsYourUncle wrote in post #16558949 (external link)
Thanks for the input guys.

dinifra - good explanation, thanks.

good luck with your choice and let us see your photos in the future

Canon EOS 400D - Canon EOS 77D - Tamron 17-50 f2.8 XR Di II AF - Canon 70-200 f/4 EF L IS - Flash Nissin Di866
My Flickr (external link)

awesomeshots
Goldmember
1,220 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 28, 2013 06:46 |  #10

I'd say go with T5i or 60D.

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 6D, Canon 24-70 F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/4L IS, 135mm 2.0 L, 85mm 1.8, Speedlite 430 II.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,734 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Dec 28, 2013 07:19 |  #11

awesomeshots wrote in post #16559160 (external link)
I'd say go with T5i or 60D.

Fixed the model number, it is important because just moving some letters around could mean a different camera, or even a different brand.

For example, 30D and D30 are two different Canon bodies. Or the 40D vs D40, could mean the Canon or the Nikon. ;) I say we ditch the model numbers and go to cartoon character names! The Canon Yosemite Sam, or the Nikon RoadRunner... :lol:

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

EOS5DC
791 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 28, 2013 07:38 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

awesomeshots wrote in post #16559160 (external link)
I'd say go with 5Ti or 60D.

You can't get much better advice than this. If you need more camera later, you'll know what you want.

Bodies: 60D, 6D.
EFs: 15-85, 10-22
EF: 28-75, 35 f/2 IS, Σ70-200 OS, 100-400L
Flash: 580EX II, 430 EX II

awesomeshots
Goldmember
1,220 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 28, 2013 10:10 |  #13

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16559215 (external link)
Fixed the model number, it is important because just moving some letters around could mean a different camera, or even a different brand.

For example, 30D and D30 are two different Canon bodies. Or the 40D vs D40, could mean the Canon or the Nikon. ;) I say we ditch the model numbers and go to cartoon character names! The Canon Yosemite Sam, or the Nikon RoadRunner... :lol:

Thanks. Fixed my post too. :)

EOS5DC wrote in post #16559249 (external link)
You can't get much better advice than this. If you need more camera later, you'll know what you want.

Yup. Both of these cameras are more than capable of handling your shooting style and needs.

Right now you can have great deals and both of these cameras. I even remember seeing deals on T5i with 18-55, 55-250 lenses and some other stuff thrown in just under a grand.

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 6D, Canon 24-70 F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/4L IS, 135mm 2.0 L, 85mm 1.8, Speedlite 430 II.

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,880 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 29, 2013 09:44 as a reply to  @ awesomeshots's post |  #14

For those with short memories or no memories, it's worth noting that Canon in the EOS 35mm era always sold several lines of 35mm SLR at the same time. Canon simultaneously offered the Rebel/KISS entry-level models, the Elan mid-range cameras and 1n heavy-duty models, and often there were sub-versions of each model that offered time and date imprinting on frames of film, among other features. So, those who are confused by multiple lines of Canon DSLR's would have been equally confused when Canon offered film SLR bodies which often had overlapping features and performance. The more things change, the more they stay they same.

BobsYourUncle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 30, 2013 18:21 as a reply to  @ DC Fan's post |  #15

Again, I appreciate the info everyone. I will take the info to heart.

Not in a super rush, but likely over the next couple months, yes.

Need to recover from Christmas! :lol:

EOS 70D
G11 and
380EX & 430EX

sponsored links

3,274 views & 0 likes for this thread
60D, 70D,Rebels, this D that D Txi?? gads too many!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.