Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 30 Dec 2013 (Monday) 19:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The holy grail +. Is it possible?

RedSloth
412 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 30, 2013 19:31 |  #1

Hi
I'm looking at making a 12hr TL series that flows: day - night - fireworks. I'll be located on the 40th floor no more than 100m from the firework. Of course the fireworks introduce a greater challenge to the holy grail of timelapse.
I run a 60D (my 5DIII employed for other tasks), magic lantern, 16-35l with tripod.
Welcome any tips to pull this off. Separately, would you approach this different if you were me?
Thanks. Rob

Cheers
RedSloth
A Magic Lantern fan running 5D Mark III, 60D, 85L II, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 24-105L, 70-200 2.8L II, 100-400L II, 10-22, 17-55 and a couple of speed lights. If only my ability could match my gear!

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 30, 2013 20:04 |  #2

I have very little experience shooting fireworks, but the little bit I did, I found long exposures to work really well with a dark sky.

Therefore, I would recommend just doing a day to night timelapse and ignore the fireworks.

You mention using the holy grail method. I thought with ML you could use auto bulb ramping. Is there a reason you do not want to try this method? I am a big fan of not touching my camera once I start the TL.

You could post your question over at the timescapes forum for more responses.

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

RedSloth
THREAD ­ STARTER
412 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 30, 2013 20:18 |  #3

Hi Heath. Thanks so much. Have just cross posted to the other forum as you suggest.
Subject to contrary advice I am planning to bulb ramp using ML as per normal. Was just thinking that bright fireworks in close proximity may upset the ML coding.
Thanks.

Cheers
RedSloth
A Magic Lantern fan running 5D Mark III, 60D, 85L II, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 24-105L, 70-200 2.8L II, 100-400L II, 10-22, 17-55 and a couple of speed lights. If only my ability could match my gear!

RileyNZL
612 posts
Gallery: 121 photos
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 31, 2013 14:32 |  #4

Personally I would control the exposure manually, it's quite possible the fireworks will mean that it will decrease the exposure because of the added brightness making everything else go dark. I could be wrong though, only tried bulb ramping on ML once with no success.

Canon 1Dx |Canon 6D|Canon 24-70 F2.8 L MkII|Canon 16-35 F4 L|Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX OS|Canon 400mm f5.6 L|Sigma 50mm F1.4|Canon 600EX's|Gitzo Explorer Tripod|

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

799 views & 0 likes for this thread
The holy grail +. Is it possible?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.