Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Dec 2013 (Sunday) 19:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon white lens sells pictures.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 30, 2013 19:40 |  #46
bannedPermanent ban

And yet all you people who object to others admiring you taking photos count the number of white lens at a sporting event. Do you see the irony of your complaints?

sponsored links
1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 30, 2013 19:45 |  #47

Hogloff wrote in post #16565407 (external link)
And yet all you people who object to others admiring you taking photos count the number of white lens at a sporting event. Do you see the irony of your complaints?

No, i fail to see the correlation. I'm the one who mentioned the percentage of Canon's white lenses at sporting events, and said no such thing.. about objecting to people "admiring" me taking photos.

Kel
Gear

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 30, 2013 21:02 |  #48

mayt444 wrote in post #16565315 (external link)
I have to admit I suffer lens envy and do notice white lenses. But some of my favorite photographers, I don't even know what lenses they use. I'm pretty sure their lenses are black because they are landscape photogs.

The TS-Es are black, so I suspect so. ;)

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 30, 2013 21:15 |  #49

vengence wrote in post #16565600 (external link)
The TS-Es are black, so I suspect so. ;)

70-200 makes a nice landscape lens as well. :p

Kel
Gear

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 30, 2013 21:35 |  #50

1Tanker wrote in post #16565636 (external link)
70-200 makes a nice landscape lens as well. :p

The TS-E 90 covers that segment quite well I thought. :p

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 30, 2013 21:59 |  #51

From my experience, I can walk all day with my 200F2.8 with hood attached (about 9" in length) and no one seems to notice. With the 100-400 attached, I get "cool look at that guy, he has a telescope on his camera".

Jim
Gear List

Denny ­ G
Goldmember
1,870 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Dec 30, 2013 23:20 as a reply to  @ jbrackjr's post |  #52

Bought my wife a nice white kitchen stove. Told her she was now a pro chef fix me a nice meal.
She told me what I could do with the stove.

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 30, 2013 23:22 |  #53

1Tanker wrote in post #16562911 (external link)
Why's everybody being such a pr!ck to the OP?:confused:

Because they are members at the penultimate boys club, Sports Shooters.

For what it's worth, I can't stand them at all. Exclusive clubs are for the weak.

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

lauderdalems
THREAD ­ STARTER
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 30, 2013 23:49 |  #54

Guess I need to clear up a couple of questions since I started this 'debate'.
First, yes I am charging her -- $5.00 to cover the cost of mailing her a disk with the high resolution images.
Second, this is one of the few times I have 'given' away any of my images. It was Christmas, I was not there to make a few dollars, and I enjoyed doing her a favor. I can only imagine how happy it also made her daughter.

I actually live about 7 hours from the Dollywood park so it's not a place I go often.

Last - the only reason for my post was because she spotted me with the long white lens. Had I be using a 50mm she probably would not have approached me.

END OF STORY

http://gamedayphotos.u​wa.edu/ (external link)

NemethR
862 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012

Dec 31, 2013 17:35 |  #55

lauderdalems wrote in post #16565904 (external link)
Had I be using a 50mm she probably would not have approached me.
END OF STORY

One of my friends, who does not own a camera, asked me, if I would make some pictures for him at a given date and time on some sport event from his doughter.

I explained him it will not work, since I have to be somewere else at that time, and sadly, I cannot manage both, BUT if he would like, I could give him my camera, and he can then take some pictures himself. (Of course, I showed him the basics quicly before, so he has an idea, how the camera works.)

So, the day came, and I gave him my Camera, he took actually quite nice pictures, but that is not the point.

So my friend went to this event, and stated making some pictures, when he was approached by a guy, with some camera, asking him, if he can help, what settings is he using. Well, he was using Automatic mode :D

Roland | Hobbyst Photographer
Nikon D850 | Nikon 70-200 f/2.8G VR II | Nikon 85mm f/1.8G | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G

Copper ­ NYC
386 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 31, 2013 21:08 |  #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauderdalems
Had I be using a 50mm she probably would not have approached me.
END OF STORY

I think she saw the quality of your equipment, I firmly believe people know the difference between a point and shoot and higher end cameras, lens had nothing to do with it, and had a very good idea you knew what u we're doing. Numerous times when I was on a cruise, couples have approached me and asked if I could take their picture with their point and shoot and at that time i was carrying my T2I and a 28-135 lens. I was happy to do it because it was a once in a lifetime opportunity for them to get a good photo of them together and not paying a premium for a staged shot by the ships photography crew (I always had pole coming out of one of their heads just kiding.)

40D Gripped, 50D, T2I Gripped, 5D Mark III Gripped, EF-S 18-55 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS
EF 28 f/2.8 IS, EF 40 2.8 STM, EF 50 f/1.4 USM,
EF 85 f/1.8 USM, EF 100 f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 24-105L f/4.0
EF 28-80 USM, the good one with metal mount and ring USM.
EF 28-80 USM V, EF 28-135 USM IS, EF 100-300 USM, EF 100-400L USM IS.
Rokinon 14 f/2.8

RayinAlaska
425 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 31, 2013 21:50 |  #57

Tmuussoni wrote in post #16563607 (external link)
Well, I think white stands out more than black. But it's not that big deal, I suppose. But still it would be cool to have an option to choose color of the L-lens, black or white :).

Agree with you about white lenses against a black camera.

I also agree with the OP in relation to the attention-getting of white lenses, regardless of brand. However, I prefer white lenses over black ones in areas where it gets very hot during the summer. I imagine that one could fry an egg on a "black" 600mm L that has been under the hot sun for a couple of hours :) Just kidding!

RayinAlaska
425 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 31, 2013 21:55 |  #58

Hogloff wrote in post #16565407 (external link)

:lol: Look at all of these Nikon white-lens users:
http://www.slrclub.com …id=work_gallery​&no=435970 (external link)

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 31, 2013 23:17 |  #59

Copperny wrote in post #16568091 (external link)
I think she saw the quality of your equipment, I firmly believe people know the difference between a point and shoot and higher end cameras, lens had nothing to do with it,

I think people are much more likely to notice the differnce between a 70-200 2.8L and an 18-55 than a 5DIII and a Rebel.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 31, 2013 23:37 |  #60

RayinAlaska wrote in post #16568182 (external link)
:lol: Look at all of these Nikon white-lens users:
http://www.slrclub.com …id=work_gallery​&no=435970 (external link)

:lol::lol::cool: that is truly funny right there.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

sponsored links

10,512 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon white lens sells pictures.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.