Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Jan 2014 (Wednesday) 19:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

"Snapshots" With a Full Frame - Help Needed :-)

Nick_Reading.UK
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 02, 2014 06:43 |  #16

rrblint wrote in post #16570239 (external link)
Also, don't focus on the front child, focus instead on an object between them.

I am confused. wouldn't the front child then be out of focus. Doesn't Depth of field range start from your focus point and then go backwards(Away from the Camera)?

EOS 5Dmk3 X2, 60D, EF24-70mm f2.8L mk2, EF70-200mm f2.8L IS mk2, EF85mm f1.8, EF50mm f1.4, EF50mm f1.8 mk1(350D with 18-55mm Sh"kit" lens).
Speedlite 600EX-RT, 430EX II Flash. manfrotto 190XDB tripod, Giottos GTMML 3290B Monopod, B+W 77mm 110 Single Coated filter, Hama 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter.

sponsored links
mark2009
Goldmember
1,997 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 02, 2014 06:57 as a reply to  @ Nick_Reading.UK's post |  #17

Defiantly sounds like a Dof issue.

This is one of the reason I bought a sony rx100 for family snapshots, ..etc.

I would almost look into a 17-40, something like that for those type of shots.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 02, 2014 07:10 |  #18

Nick_Reading.UK wrote in post #16571177 (external link)
I am confused. wouldn't the front child then be out of focus. Doesn't Depth of field range start from your focus point and then go backwards(Away from the Camera)?

The range of acceptable sharp focus will start from slightly in front of the front child. That person will no longer be razor sharp, but will still have more than adequate clarity.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

davem01
91 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 02, 2014 07:11 |  #19

the depth of field stretches from 1/3 in front to 2/3 behind the plane of focus

My Gear: 5D mk iv, EF 24-105L, 70-300L, 100L IS Macro, 17-40L, 100-400L mkii

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 02, 2014 07:42 |  #20

davem01 wrote in post #16571209 (external link)
the depth of field stretches from 1/3 in front to 2/3 behind the plane of focus

Kind of. It is correct that the DOF extends both before and behind the plane of focus. The 1/3 - 2/3 myth is kind of shorthand for what is really happening and was born from landscape photography. It isn't all that good of a rule of thumb for closer distances thought.

At very close focus distances, the depth of field will extend evenly before and behind the plane of focus.

As the plane of focus moves away from the camera, the depth of field on the far side of it grows faster than the near side. This makes sense of course, because once the plane of focus reaches the hyperfocal distance, the far side depth of field extends to infinity.

So the limit of (far DOF / near DOF) = 1 as focus distance => 0

And the limit of (far DOF / near DOF) = infinity as focus distance => hyperfocal distance.

As for the OP......I think the main reason people didn't notice all this DOF problem in the age where we were all running around with 35mm film cameras was because for the most part people were making 3x5 and 4x6 prints. Now we can look at 1:1 views on the monitor which shows flaws, and I think people print a lot less often but print larger now when they do make a print.

Also, a smaller format isn't really a great fix. You can probably at worst equal a smaller format with your 35mm format camera by continuing to stop down and increasing ISO to preserve flash range.

When you have a small 1/1.8" sensor or similar, you do indeed get more DOF owing to the very short focal lengths used. But you also start to get diffraction softening by f/5.6 due to the extreme enlargement from sensor to print. Try using f/11 - f/16 with the 35mm sensor and increase ISO as needed to keep the flash range adequate. And be sure to try and place the plane of focus in the middle of the subjects from the standpoint of depth.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jan 02, 2014 09:04 |  #21

Absolutely not.

Stuff some numbers into this depth of field calculator (external link) and you will see how much behind the front face you could focus and still have the front face acceptably sharp.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Gobeatty
THREAD ­ STARTER
513 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 02, 2014 09:11 as a reply to  @ JeffreyG's post |  #22

A number of excellent points and thanks to all.

"At very close focus distances, the depth of field will extend evenly before and behind the plane of focus."

Which means in my scenario I'm tossing away nearly half of the DOF when I focus on the near child!

I will see what I can achieve with smaller aperatures. It's tough coming from the film days - closing down for DOF and seeing ISO climb to 6400 is tough to swallow although I know the 6D is amazing at these ISOs, although softening creeps in due to the NR that is needed.

I also know if I got an m4/3 or similar, I wouldn't be satisfied with the low light performance, which is why I got the 6D in the first place :-)

The answer for now I think is to keep all of these factors in mind and make it a habit, when I know DOF will be tight, to:

1-Step a bit back (gives a huge DOF increase - square to the distance)

2-Zoom a bit wider and plan to crop, mimicking APS-C or so

3-Stop down an extra stop or two and let ISO go higher

4-Focus in the middle (throwing away half DOF otherwise)

I hope that by doing each of these in moderation the negative effects of cropping and higher ISO will be contained.

I also plan to do some tests and leard for myself where the DOF boundaries are.

6D | 35 f2 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 28 - 135 f3.5 - 5.6 | 70-210 f4

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jan 02, 2014 09:11 |  #23

No, DOF extends both in front of and behind the plane of focus. See JeffreyG's post or consult a DOF calculator for more details as the calculations get rather complicated.

Mark

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jan 02, 2014 09:17 |  #24

Gobeatty wrote in post #16571437 (external link)
A number of excellent points and thanks to all.

"At very close focus distances, the depth of field will extend evenly before and behind the plane of focus."

Which means in my scenario I'm tossing away nearly half of the DOF when I focus on the near child!

I will see what I can achieve with smaller aperatures. It's tough coming from the film days - closing down for DOF and seeing ISO climb to 6400 is tough to swallow although I know the 6D is amazing at these ISOs, although softening creeps in due to the NR that is needed.

I also know if I got an m4/3 or similar, I wouldn't be satisfied with the low light performance, which is why I got the 6D in the first place :-)

The answer for now I think is to keep all of these factors in mind and make it a habit, when I know DOF will be tight, to:

1-Step a bit back (gives a huge DOF increase - square to the distance)

2-Zoom a bit wider and plan to crop, mimicking APS-C or so

3-Stop down an extra stop or two and let ISO go higher

I hope that by doing each of these in moderation the negative effects of cropping and higher ISO will be contained.

I also plan to do some tests and leard for myself where the DOF boundaries are.

Very good summation. Follow this guide and don't forget to ETTR to help with the noise at higher ISOs and your family snapshots should show MARKED improvement.

Mark

EOS5DC
791 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 02, 2014 09:57 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

BigAl007 is today's winner. I shot stuff like kid's b'day parties with film. I was amazed when I first shot ASA 400 Kodak! Back then you HAD to use flash. Today's cameras offer very high comparative film speeds. Unfortunately, we are still using yesteryear's physics. My solution to the OP's problem several-fold. First, if you've got it, shoot APSc. You'll use a wider angle to frame the same shot at the same distance. That gets you more DOF. Use f/8. Use flash. Use the widest angle you can get away with. The difference between FF @ f2 and APSc at f/8 is huge. Focused at 6': FF, f/2, 40mm yields < 1' DOF - APSc, f/8, 24mm yields > 7' DOF. Very similar framing.

The other alternative is a P&S, which is where my 260 comes in handy.

Bodies: 60D, 6D.
EFs: 15-85, 10-22
EF: 28-75, 35 f/2 IS, Σ70-200 OS, 100-400L
Flash: 580EX II, 430 EX II

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 02, 2014 11:06 |  #26

deanedward wrote in post #16570271 (external link)
stop pixel peeping. you'll be happier and you'll take better photos.

Friends don't let friends pixel peep.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=0toBw68L5Y4 (external link)

_
My Gear is ---> Here

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,539 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 02, 2014 11:19 |  #27

A 24 or 28mm lens would help mitigate this problem. Even a 35mm lens would make a difference.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Gobeatty
THREAD ­ STARTER
513 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 02, 2014 11:54 |  #28

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16571770 (external link)
A 24 or 28mm lens would help mitigate this problem. Even a 35mm lens would make a difference.

I was just plugging in numbers into a DOF calculator and was astounded at the difference from 50 to 35 to 28 and 24. Assuming the same shooting distance, I would give back some of the DOF gain when cropping to achieve the same framing of the final image but there would still be a gain.

6D | 35 f2 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 28 - 135 f3.5 - 5.6 | 70-210 f4

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 02, 2014 12:05 |  #29

Gobeatty wrote in post #16571854 (external link)
I was just plugging in numbers into a DOF calculator and was astounded at the difference from 50 to 35 to 28 and 24. Assuming the same shooting distance, I would give back some of the DOF gain when cropping to achieve the same framing of the final image but there would still be a gain.

Yes, if you keep the same shooting distance then a wider lens will yield greater DOF. It will also give you a much larger field of view.

This is not always known....but if you do move to keep the same field of view then the DOF will also be the same.

So a 25mm lens at f/4 and 10 foot focus distance has the same depth of field as a 50mm lens at f/4 and 20 feet focus distance. That's just an example, but it is good to know.

In essence, once this is understood then DOF is simply a function of the subject framing and the aperture. You do not need to consider the focal length.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,539 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 02, 2014 12:19 |  #30

Gobeatty wrote in post #16571854 (external link)

Just move closer to your subject ;) I always use my 28 or 35mm for snapshots. I'd post some examples but most of them aren't on my Flickr because their just snapshots, plus I'm on my phone right now :p

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

4,572 views & 0 likes for this thread
"Snapshots" With a Full Frame - Help Needed :-)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.