Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 30 Dec 2013 (Monday) 13:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shipping Issues

this thread is locked
Ron ­ Bailey
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 01, 2014 16:28 |  #16

ctwatkins wrote in post #16569883 (external link)
I don't think you're going to find too many sellers offering "good faith" refunds on high dollar items (i.e., I'll refund you several hundred dollars in hope that you'll return my merchandise to me in the same condition it was sent to you). AND, the item was sent . . . it just hasn't been received yet.

It's not just 'good faith', the high dollar item did not arrive. Period. Time for a refund in my book. That's the good thing (and bad thing) about PayPal, the buyer is protected.

If the seller is worried that he is going to be screwed then he should understand how the buyer feels having already sent the money to him and seeing that the package is in limbo. Works both ways.

My point is the time crunch the OP has. If you NEED the item for the trip and don't have the extra $ to purchase it twice, why be penalized? That's when I would ask for a refund. If the package is indeed a high dollar item, it will come (or should) with a requirement for a signature upon delivery. Protecting all involved.

Just my 1.50.

http://www.ronbaileyph​otography.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
robsudac
173 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 01, 2014 18:10 as a reply to  @ Ron Bailey's post |  #17

I would give it some more and try to be as patient as possible. You are protected if the item does not show up. Like others have pointed out, it is the holiday crunch and with Christmas and New Years being mid-week, USPS/FedEx/UPS/DHL have all had logistics issues this year and packages have been late.

I purchased a backpack two weeks ago that was shipped from CO to CA. The USPS tracking showed that it arrived in Richmond, CA, which is a 25 minute drive to SF. The tracking information did not update as it sat there at that sorting facility for about 5 days, before finally arriving. Another package from Amazon was sent before Christmas and scheduled to arrive on the 24th, but a week later it was cancelled due to weather making it undeliverable.

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 01, 2014 21:58 |  #18

I think you are jumping the gun IMO. Holidays are rough with shipping. I wouldn't demand a refund yet, give it a week and see what the options are.

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

WhidbeyHiker
Goldmember
1,890 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 01, 2014 22:02 |  #19

I sold a lens on Ebay two weeks ago. The buyer received it on Monday of this week. Two day priority.

Give it a little while.

Ron ­ Bailey
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 01, 2014 22:10 |  #20

WhidbeyHiker wrote in post #16570608 (external link)
I sold a lens on Ebay two weeks ago. The buyer received it on Monday of this week. Two day priority.

Give it a little while.

Now that is scary.

SavageDigital
325 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 01, 2014 22:18 |  #21

Is it customary to ask for a refund before they finish their claim stuff with usps?

I've been here before and (IMO) there is ZERO chance you should get a refund until the claim is investigated. The seller shipped it, its in processing somewhere - so the seller is out the item, and now there's the suggestion that the seller should also be out the payment as a refund - nah. What would be their recourse if you get the refund and then also get the item a few days down the road - none, they'd be screwed . USPS would deny their claim based on delivery and Paypal would do nothing because the seller paid - that's slanted completely in the buyers favor.

-Randy Gear: Canon 5D MKIII, 6D & 7D, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II, 24-105mm L, 50mm STM - Sigma 85mm & 35mm f1.4 ART - Rokinon 8mm Fisheye

WhidbeyHiker
Goldmember
1,890 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 01, 2014 22:20 |  #22

Ron Bailey wrote in post #16570623 (external link)
Now that is scary.

Yeah, I maintained communication with the buyer and it all worked out. I won't be selling anything for a couple of weeks, hopefully the postal service will get it's collective head out of its backside.

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 01, 2014 22:23 |  #23

You are being way too impatient. Things take a lot longer around this time to be delivered. The seller would be out of his mind to already give you your money back.

Lets say he give you the money back now... and the item shoes up in 3 days. Not only do you have the money, but you also have the sellers item.

If it was shipped on the 24th, that probably means it was just loaded up onto a truck, but still sitting at the location. They will not of moved it on Christmas eve or Christmas day. I also do not think they run on Sundays. So it probably left on the 27th. That only gives it a couple of days in transit.

Just remain calm :P. People on here (especially active people) are not very likely to screw someone out of their money. Even if that were the case, you are covered with Paypal. I think you have up to 45 days or so.

Just wait and see what happens.

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 01, 2014 22:27 |  #24

just make sure you get refunded for the 2 day select.. the post office wont tell you it wont make it .
they hope youll just forget it. (wife works for USPS)

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 01, 2014 22:52 |  #25

Another thing you can do is call or go to your local pst office, and ask them to track it on their Intranet (not the internet). The PO Intranet has every scan that has hit the package. The Internet based tracking is not always up to date, and sometimes never updates.

I ship lots with the USPS, and have found this to be a useful avenue to take when a problem like this arises. My local PO supervisor knows me by sight now. :)

One thing I'll say is that in 15 years of shipping with the USPS, and about 8,000 shipments, I have personally never had a package lost. Late, a few (less than 1%), but never lost.

What really sucks in this case is being the seller. He can really get screwed because of the post office's web-based tracking system. I'll leave it at that.

Be patient, it'll get there.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 01, 2014 22:59 |  #26

SavageDigital wrote in post #16570643 (external link)
I've been here before and (IMO) there is ZERO chance you should get a refund until the claim is investigated. The seller shipped it, its in processing somewhere - so the seller is out the item, and now there's the suggestion that the seller should also be out the payment as a refund - nah. What would be their recourse if you get the refund and then also get the item a few days down the road - none, they'd be screwed . USPS would deny their claim based on delivery and Paypal would do nothing because the seller paid - that's slanted completely in the buyers favor.

Hard not to agree with this. Buyer is covered at this point. The time crunch based on him leaving the country is unfortunate, but not enough of a factor to push all of the risk over to the seller.

jptsr1
Goldmember
1,812 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 01, 2014 23:02 |  #27

2 day priority is a joke, especially around the holidays. I bet it shows up eventually.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

superdat1
THREAD ­ STARTER
121 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 01, 2014 23:09 |  #28

mpix345 wrote in post #16570708 (external link)
Hard not to agree with this. Buyer is covered at this point. The time crunch based on him leaving the country is unfortunate, but not enough of a factor to push all of the risk over to the seller.

Right, I'm not worried about getting screwed cause I know I'm covered. It was like the other member mentioned above, I'm just trying to make sure I get my item before I leave next week.

The seller is aware and I have not asked for anything yet. I never dealt with an issue like this before which is why I made this thread asking what the procedure usually is.

No need to worry folks, I'm not demanding anything from the seller, just want some insight.

It's a bummer because I ordered another item from a seller that shipped out 26th and arrived the 28th, that came from even further east lol.

Canon 60D | 17-55 2.8 IS | 430EX II

volfan1978
720 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 02, 2014 07:17 |  #29

I am the seller of the item being referenced in the thread. A check of the tracking this morning and the item was scanned in California so it looks like it will be delivered on time. The item was traveling from Tennessee to California so I guess it got hung up somewhere along the way and during the last-minute holiday deliveries.

It's unfortunate, but it happens and the carriers rarely provide a guarantee unless you pay for a guaranteed service. In this case, it should have been there in 2-3 days but was delayed.

I disagree with Ron Bailey in expecting a refund so soon. I've been in the buyer's shoes before and have had to wait on the carrier to deliver despite a delay. In this case, the package was insured so it was covered if it was lost, but if I would have issued a refund and the item showed scanned this morning, I would be out the item and the money paid for it. It's not an ideal situation for either party, but the USPS wouldn't have reimbursed for the item until it had been undelivered for at least 30 days.

I'm glad it looks like this will be resolved before the buyer leaves on his trip.

Ron ­ Bailey
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 02, 2014 15:40 |  #30

volfan1978 wrote in post #16571219 (external link)
I am the seller of the item being referenced in the thread. A check of the tracking this morning and the item was scanned in California so it looks like it will be delivered on time. The item was traveling from Tennessee to California so I guess it got hung up somewhere along the way and during the last-minute holiday deliveries.

It's unfortunate, but it happens and the carriers rarely provide a guarantee unless you pay for a guaranteed service. In this case, it should have been there in 2-3 days but was delayed.

I disagree with Ron Bailey in expecting a refund so soon. I've been in the buyer's shoes before and have had to wait on the carrier to deliver despite a delay. In this case, the package was insured so it was covered if it was lost, but if I would have issued a refund and the item showed scanned this morning, I would be out the item and the money paid for it. It's not an ideal situation for either party, but the USPS wouldn't have reimbursed for the item until it had been undelivered for at least 30 days.

I'm glad it looks like this will be resolved before the buyer leaves on his trip.

I think it's interesting that everyone was okay that the buyer was out the money and the item but were not okay with the seller being out the money and the item. Interesting where the trust was put, isn't it?

My point was the deadline. If it were me, and I trusted the buyer, I would have refunded the money so that he could have the item before he left for his trip. It's just a professional courtesy. Some people just can't find the level of trust and I'm okay with that. We all do things differently.

I've sent a high dollar item I've sold to a hotel where a photography was staying while on a shoot. No problem. Am in the minority? I can live with it.

I'm still waiting for a high dollar item from Amazon that was ordered on Dec 13 that is floating somewhere in limbo. Amazon sent me another one this past Monday via FedEx overnight to Hawaii (you know that was $) and I got it Tuesday. They trust me enough to send the other package back if/when it gets here. Plus they know I needed the item.

No big deal, just an interesting read about people, opinions and trust. Have a great, safe and productive New Year!

sponsored links

5,406 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shipping Issues
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.