Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Aug 2013 (Friday) 17:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

G16--Please post your photos

trailguy
449 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 25, 2013 19:34 |  #16

I'm impressed with the sharpness and with the how well it does in mediocre indoor light. I actually was wanting the Sony 100 II, but want nothing without a good viewfinder.
Any advice on what's a high quality 16G memory chip for this Canon?

Perfectionism is the highest form of self-abuse
"Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward"
Ernst Hass 1952

sponsored links
fishingjts
984 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Nov 26, 2013 09:26 |  #17

trailguy wrote in post #16479957 (external link)
I'm impressed with the sharpness and with the how well it does in mediocre indoor light. I actually was wanting the Sony 100 II, but want nothing without a good viewfinder.

I'm a SanDisk fan... Using a 8 GB Ultra SDHC card.

one from today...

IMAGE: http://www.johnnystacks.com/gallery/d/27694-1/IMG_0116_edited-1.jpg

5D Mark II Gripped | 24-105L | 70-200L F2.8 IS II | 430EX | G16

gug
355 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 27, 2013 06:02 |  #18

For the video on this camera, I would use nothing less than a class 10 card @ 45 mb's sec.

Tafflad
40 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Dec 24, 2013 05:10 |  #19

fishingjts wrote in post #16464630 (external link)
Completely agree with the lugging around thing! That was the reason was looking at the new P&S camera... I also share a lot of pics with family via my iphone... and while the iphone does ok, i wanted something that was convenient to carry and could easily transfer to the iphone... So far, very impressed with the G16!

I used to have a full EOS system ... and a number of lenses, speedlite etc. .... and found on a few holidays I left it behind and used wife's compact.
So sold all my kit.
G16 bought last week.

Tafflad
40 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Dec 24, 2013 05:19 |  #20

trailguy wrote in post #16479957 (external link)

The Sony was my first choice ... but chose G16 for 3 reasons

1. tried cameras side by side and G16 fitted my hands much better, Sony felt far too small and awkward.

2. will be used in underwater housing - and being able to set programmable button for instant custom white balance is a huge benefit, Sony was multi step through menu.

3. The G16 was 30% cheaper :D

Two
314 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 29, 2013 09:24 |  #21

My first outing with the G16. Not a very good test as the weather was not cooperating
AND I haven't been able to upgrade the RAW converter for Lightroom yet (Tried DPP but
I either don't know how to use it or it's an awful program.)

Shot in 'A' mode, RAW + sJPEG. Didn't like the jpeg so, used DPP to convert to 16 bit TIFF
and then processed in Lightroom.

Used the optical viewfinder as the LCD is just too 'laggy' for high speed sports.

Can't wait to try it out on a day with some real light.

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/two/image/153947298/original.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/two/image/153947301/original.jpg

Two
314 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 29, 2013 19:51 |  #22

I know that sunset pix are easy for a camera but, I was looking to see how it would do anyway. I learned that I don't like the factory jpeg conversion. For this pic, I converted a raw file in DPP to tiff and imported to lightroom.

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/two/image/153953566/original.jpg

Two
314 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 29, 2013 20:56 |  #23

JPEG out of camera. Adjusted exposure, blacks, brightness and contrast in Lightroom.
(If anyone knows of a way to change the camera's jpeg processing, I'd really like to
know)

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/two/image/153953928/original.jpg

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 29, 2013 21:14 |  #24

Two wrote in post #16563022 (external link)
JPEG out of camera. Adjusted exposure, blacks, brightness and contrast in Lightroom.
(If anyone knows of a way to change the camera's jpeg processing, I'd really like to
know)

Generally, you can make adjustments in My Colors menu, and specifically in the Custom option. See pages 75 and 76 in your manual. There are other factors to adjust also, so I would recommend reading all the materials in the P Mode section, beginning on page 67.

Dennis

2mnycars
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 29, 2013 22:12 |  #25

Dennis your comments are great!
Had a G16 in my hands. It was hard to leave the store without it....

Canadian shoppers, Henry's had the best price when I checked on www.photoprice.ca (external link) I really miss my G9. (I don't miss my G11; had problems with it requesting date/time constantly. Internal battery?) The G16 focuses so nicely.
So quickly.

Dave

fishingjts
984 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Dec 30, 2013 05:41 |  #26

Two wrote in post #16561504 (external link)
My first outing with the G16. Not a very good test as the weather was not cooperating
AND I haven't been able to upgrade the RAW converter for Lightroom yet (Tried DPP but
I either don't know how to use it or it's an awful program.)

Shot in 'A' mode, RAW + sJPEG. Didn't like the jpeg so, used DPP to convert to 16 bit TIFF
and then processed in Lightroom.

Used the optical viewfinder as the LCD is just too 'laggy' for high speed sports.

Can't wait to try it out on a day with some real light.

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

Great shots!

Two
314 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 02, 2014 06:19 |  #27

fishingjts- Thanks! I really think that I can do quite a bit better once we get some light. These overcast skies wreak havoc on sports photography.

Dennis- Thanks for the heads up. I downloaded the manual and spent some time reading and pushing buttons. When I get time, I'll do some playing to see if I can get the in camera jpegs going my direction. One thing I did notice is that the only way for the My Colors custom settings to work is if I turn off the RAW+sJPEG setting and stick with straight sJPEG. That's a bummer as I like to have RAW files to make up for any mistakes while shooting. If I can get the in-camera jpeg right and my competence up, My Colors just might do the trick.

All in all, I like this little camera. I've read a lot of reviews that call this camera big-ish. I've been using Canon 1D series bodies for the last 5 years or so and don't think that this camera is all that large. It easily fits in my camelbak while mountain biking. Stashes in the center console of my truck without taking up a bunch of space. Clips to my work backpack with a carabiner with no problem.

More to come as time permits.

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 02, 2014 10:38 as a reply to  @ Two's post |  #28

Two,

I've been trying to just shoot Jpeg lately, set MyColors to Neutral, then PP on my computer(s). I've been retired for several years, and find tweaking photos is less "fun" than it used to be. My "easy button" approach tends more towards simple adjustments in Picasa, or even in PS Elements 10.

I "discovered" this concept by reading how folks without RAW achieved their excellent results on other forums (POTN Small Compacts & DPR Canon).

https://photography-on-the.net …t=1018633&highl​ight=sx230

http://www.dpreview.co​m/forums/post/51843277 (external link) (only one of his many postings)

The above two sample threads showed me you don't always need to shoot RAW. I'm more inclined today to let my camera do more of the work, and enjoy my cameras more, IMHO.

Dennis

Two
314 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 02, 2014 12:02 as a reply to  @ denncald's post |  #29

I agree with you 100%. If I can get to shooting nothing but JPEG's and let the camera do the work for me, I would be ecstatic. I enjoy shooting and viewing much more than processing!

Thanks for the help and the links. I will do some studying when time permits.

fishingjts
984 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Jan 02, 2014 12:36 |  #30

Two wrote in post #16571873 (external link)
I agree with you 100%. If I can get to shooting nothing but JPEG's and let the camera do the work for me, I would be ecstatic. I enjoy shooting and viewing much more than processing!

Thanks for the help and the links. I will do some studying when time permits.

Yeah, I gave up shooting RAW a while back... ;)

sponsored links

73,124 views & 65 likes for this thread
G16--Please post your photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.