Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Jan 2014 (Thursday) 10:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

question about 6D burst mode

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 02, 2014 10:46 |  #1

hi all
i was playing around with a friend's 6D at a NYE party. it was coupled with a 50/1.4, and a joy to use.

at one point, i was trying to take burst shots of some party silliness with a fast shutter to capture people jumping in the air. i noticed that the shutter wasnt rolling through completely - ie in a burst of 5 exposures, the 2nd or 3rd pic would have one half of the image darkened.

everything was lit with ambient light and i wasnt using a flash, so i dont know if this is something to do with the 1/180 sync speed. just found it strange that it the shutter wouldnt roll through fast enough across multiple exposures.

any thoughts?

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links
M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,486 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 02, 2014 10:51 |  #2

And no flash was mounted? A half dark image is usually a flash sync issue. I'll have to try that with mine.

Mark J.
Gear

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,275 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jan 02, 2014 10:51 |  #3

Hmmm, that doesn't sound good and it couldn't have anything to do with the sync speed if you weren't using flash.

Mark

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 02, 2014 11:04 |  #4

hmm, hope i dont have to break the news to my friend that something may be wrong with his 6d. i will try to put up some pics later

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 02, 2014 11:18 |  #5

Was the ambient light from a cycling source like florescent lights?

And you mean darkened not totally black correct?

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 02, 2014 11:24 |  #6

yup, darkened

the light source was pretty much all from xmas lights strung up all around the room, and some paper lantern lamps (not sure what kind of bulbs). i doubt the light source type was the issue, as other pictures all came out fine, the issue was just when i was burst shooting

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,328 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 02, 2014 11:26 |  #7

ekinnyc wrote in post #16571782 (external link)
yup, darkened

the light source was pretty much all from xmas lights strung up all around the room, and some paper lantern lamps (not sure what kind of bulbs). i doubt the light source type was the issue, as other pictures all came out fine, the issue was just when i was burst shooting

If you shortened your shutter speeds in order to do the bursts then you open youself up to cycling by the various lights, which sounds like the culprit here. The cycling only shows up when your shutter speed is less than the cycle of the lights.

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 02, 2014 11:29 |  #8

wouldnt it manifest differently than a half light/half dark image? ie. everything in the scene would be darker if i hit the shot mid-cycle

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,253 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 02, 2014 11:29 |  #9

gonzogolf wrote in post #16571792 (external link)
If you shortened your shutter speeds in order to do the bursts then you open yourself up to cycling by the various lights, which sounds like the culprit here. The cycling only shows up when your shutter speed is less than the cycle of the lights.

That is my guess as well. If you have more than one light source, you can capture one of the light sources in a different cycle and it will be dark only in the area it is illuminating.

Incandescent bulbs don't do this but any kind of fluorescent or sodium bulb will. I believe some LED lighting can also do this.

http://electronics.sta​ckexchange.com …r-like-fluorescent-lights (external link)

Do LED s flicker like fluorescent lights?

LED's are still diodes and can be used to rectify AC to DC. Some of the least expensive LED lights are simply comprised of strings of LED's wired such that the sum of forward voltages comes close to the peak line voltage with a small inline resistance for current limiting. THis is simply placed across the plug that goes into the mains. A second string of lights can be placed in the opposite direction for the opposite phase. SO the LED will light up for only 1/2 of the 50/60 Hz cycle.

OF course many variants of this wiring, like using strings of these LED's in a bridge configuration.

This is how LED christmas tree lights are wired, it essentially requires ZERO external components (except the resistor) and results in a flickery string of lights.

If you were to take those same strings of lights and apply a higher voltage DC to them you'd get steady light on only some of the lights.

This technique will be used in several situations where the manufacturer does not want to produce a control circuit.

Of course there are many different variations, the key point is that you don't need any extra circuits if wired correctly and you can accept flicker.

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,328 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 02, 2014 11:33 |  #10

ekinnyc wrote in post #16571796 (external link)
wouldnt it manifest differently than a half light/half dark image? ie. everything in the scene would be darker if i hit the shot mid-cycle

Nope. You can get very unusual patterns with a dark and oddly colored banding across a portion of the the frame. Keep in mind the way your shutter works, at speeds shorter than max sync speed (1/160 on the 6D ) the second curtain starts to close before the entire shutter is exposed to light. That means the effect may only appear in a portion of the frame.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 02, 2014 11:36 |  #11

ekinnyc wrote in post #16571796 (external link)

No, because when the shutter speed is faster than the sync speed of the camera, the entire sensor is not exposed at the same time. At very high shutter speeds like 1/4000 the exposure is made by a slit opening that passes across the sensor, for example.

So at a shutter speed of 1/400 or so, there will be a time where half the sensor is exposed and half is under the closing curtain.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 04, 2014 23:01 |  #12

just went thru the pics, they were all ISO12800, f/1.4, and 1/400 or 1/800

here is an example

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

i-4dmzbJz-L (external link) by ekinnyc (external link), on Flickr

exif:

ISO 12800
Focal Length 50mm
Aperture f/1.4
Exposure Time 0.0025s (1/400)
Name IMG_7143.JPG

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 04, 2014 23:12 |  #13

ekinnyc wrote in post #16571782 (external link)
i doubt the light source type was the issue, as other pictures all came out fine, the issue was just when i was burst shooting

ekinnyc wrote in post #16578449 (external link)
just went thru the pics, they were all ISO12800, f/1.4, and 1/400 or 1/800

here is an example ...

What was the shutter speed on the images that were OK? I'm picking it was 1/120, 1/60, or 1/30 (or 1/40 if that is an option).

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 04, 2014 23:37 |  #14

here is one with the same settings ISO12800 f1.4 1/400
for the most part it looks good though you could see the shutter creeping off to the right as it is just slightly dark

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

i-PnTRcvF-L (external link) by ekinnyc (external link), on Flickr

and here is one, shot into that same location (slightly diff angle though)

ISO 10,000 f/3.2 1/40

no issues here

IMAGE NOT FOUND

i-3cnckWP-L (external link) by ekinnyc (external link), on Flickr

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,253 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 04, 2014 23:52 |  #15

That looks like typical fluorescent lighting cycling to me.

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

sponsored links

3,110 views & 0 likes for this thread
question about 6D burst mode
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.