Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 25 Dec 2013 (Wednesday) 11:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

NIK Collection??

silverstang23
427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 30, 2013 17:31 |  #16

I use it as an add-on for Aperture and really like it. Silverfx is great. I also like the "pro-contrast" tool in colorfx

Andrew Walker
Canon 7d, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, Canon EF-S 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5
Canon 430ex, Alienbees B800, Vegabod II Flickr (external link) My Website (external link)

sponsored links
Alex ­ DiPietro
82 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 01, 2014 20:06 as a reply to  @ silverstang23's post |  #17

I use it all the time and love it. The HDR is better than photmatix IMO. The NR is great and the sharpening is wonderful. ColorEFX and SilverEFX are great as well. I highly recommend it.

A Canon Camera and Some Lenses
flickr (external link)

Maxdave
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 02, 2014 05:27 |  #18

James P wrote in post #16556968 (external link)
I wouldn't be without the NIK filter collection. I use ColorEfex, SilverEfex and Dfine all the time. No need to "get to know Lightroom" before using these easy-to-use and wonderfully creative filters. If you're serious about photography, NIK is a "must-have" IMHO.

Agree ... for me it's also Color Efex and DFine, plus Sharpener Pro I use the most. I would be lost without NIK!

5D3,1D4,S90,6S&Moment Lenses,Hero4Silver,GPS​-E2,2x580EX,430EX,90EX,​EF16-35L f/4 IS,Samy SYTS24-C 24TS,EF24-105L IS,EF50 f/1.4,EF70-200 f/4L IS,EF300 f/4L IS,EF100-400L I IS,Kenko DGX 1.4X,Canon 2X TC Mk II, RRS&Pro-Media L-Brackets,Manfrotto MHXPRO-3WG & Roller 50,Sirui 306&K-20,Giottos MT-7371&MH-3300,Velbon ElCarmagne 530,CamRanger,Phottix&​Canon Remotes,Lowepro Backpack,ThinkTank Retro 20&Modular System,OpTech straps,Lexar/San Disk Cards

El ­ Duderino
Goldmember
1,921 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 02, 2014 11:09 |  #19

Nik software is great. I love Color Efex, Silver Efex and Viveza

Nikon D600 | Bower 14mm f/2.8 | Nikon 16-35mm f/4 VR | Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 VR | Nikon 50mm f/1.8G | Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR
500px (external link) | flickr (external link)

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 02, 2014 12:31 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

My NIK is now crashing often and displays the terminal PhotoShop stopped working error.
I read its due to internal bugs in the NIK software.
I have 64 bit HP 6340f computer w/ 8 GB. Video graphics is on the Intel Motherboard.
NIK has not responded to any of my emails but
Saw the following post in another forum from another user ..
Any others have this problem ?? How did you fix ??
---------------
Dear John,

Thank you for clearing up the crash issue for me. HDR Efex Pro 2 takes advantage of the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) of the computer system. The GPU is also sometimes referred to as the Display Adapter or Video Card, in any case they are all the same. Sometimes certain video cards will not handle this additional processing. In order to resolve this, the first measure would be to update the Display Adapters or GPU driver.

Locate the manufacturer of the GPU as well as the model number.Once this is determined, it is then recommended to go directly to the GPU manufacturer's website (best option) or if that is not possible to go to the computer manufacturer's website (secondary option) to obtain an updated video card driver. It is NOT recommended to use Windows Update as in general we have found that these drivers are not updated as frequently. To identify which video card you have please do the following:

Click on Start >Control Panel>System & Security >System >Device Manager and then click on the plus next to Display Adapter, this should display the make and model information.
Go to the manufacturer's website (you may need to search for it via Google) such as Nvidia.com and with the model number you should be able to search for the latest driver. If you are unable to locate the driver you may need to contact the manufacturer of your computer to obtain an updated driver.
Once the latest GPU driver is located,download and install the new driver.
Restart the computer and try HDR Efex Pro 2 once again.

If after following the above steps you are still experiencing the same issue, the next step will be to either disable the GPU (if possible) or force HDR Efex Pro 2 to not use the GPU (safe-mode). In order to disable the GPU in HDR Efex Pro 2 please do the following:

If you are able to open HDR Efex Pro 2 and can see part of the interface, see if you can click on the"Settings" button in the lower left.
In Settings locate the section "GPU" and expand it, in this section you will see a check box "Enable GPU Processing", uncheck this so the GPU will be disabled, then close the settings window.
Close out of HDR Efex Pro 2 (click Cancel), quit out of any and all host applications (Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture), and then relaunch HDR Efex Pro 2 to see if this corrects this issue.

If you are unable to disable the GPU via Settings or if the issue has not been resolved (e.g. HDR Efex Pro 2 crashes or the buttons are not displaying correctly), please try the following steps below after quitting out of all host applications (Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture):

Click Start and type in the search box below: %localappdata% (exactly as shown with % symbols on each end), when the yellow folder "Local" is displayed in the search list, click on it.
The local folder will open, now double-click on "Nik Software" followed by "HDR Efex Pro 2" and locate the file HDREfexPro2.cfg and then double click to open. Windows will ask you which application to use to open this file, locate and choose "Notepad" to open.
At the very beginning (before all the text) of the configuration file, paste the following code below verbatim:

Now save the file, close it and relaunch HDR Efex Pro 2 and see if the issue has been resolved.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email or call our Customer Service Department toll free at 1-888-284-4085 (+1-619-725-3150 outside of the US). Our office hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm PST.

Best Regards,
Allison

Nik Software, Inc. | Photography firstĀ®

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 02, 2014 18:19 |  #21

I use the Raw output sharpener all of the time before printing and it takes something that looks good on the display and makes it look great on the paper. I use the HDR as well. I hope Google keeps the software updated.

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

sponsored links

3,400 views & 0 likes for this thread
NIK Collection??
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.