Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Nov 2013 (Thursday) 09:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tamron developing 150-600mm VC USD lens

Somebloke
633 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 03, 2014 08:24 |  #1111

pwm2 wrote in post #16574037 (external link)
Can you please quote the use of "racist" in my post? I did write "prejudice" and not "racist". Two different words. Two different meanings, even if people sometimes likes to think they are the same.

BMW and Mercedes being expensive cars doesn't mean I can extrapolate to European cars being of higher standard because that would be prejudice. There are also SEAT, Skoda, Trabant, ... The Trabant was terrible, while SEAT and Skoda have made some very nice cars. But not moved them into any "premium league".

In the end, it isn't really good to generalize. It just tends to end up with multiple losers.

Producing this lens in China is likely to give us better quality than if it was produced in Japan. The reason isn't related to education or competence, but the lower general salary level in China means Tamron can afford more man-hours invested in the production without increasing the sales price.

I'm going to generalize and go out on a limb-you take life way to seriously!!

Geezus if you want to save the world there are a million real cases of preduduce and racism that occur every single day that actually affect people's lives before you need to be a hero and call out someone all because they would prefer a lens made in a country with proven standards compared to the other which is still emerging and largely UN proven.

sponsored links
mccamli
697 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 03, 2014 08:27 |  #1112

pwm2 wrote in post #16574037 (external link)
Producing this lens in China is likely to give us better quality than if it was produced in Japan.

If you're being picky about other people's posts and assuming that what they've written is an accurate reflection of what they're thinking (many prople use absolutes when they don't really mean absolutes) then in the same vein your assertion would seem to be incorrect.

The liklihood is that if Tamron were to request the same spec lens from both producing countries that the one from Japan would be superior....way more expensive but superior.

The actual outcome may of course differ...

Anyway, this is way off topic.

This lens looks like it might be a real winner...I just hope there are enough to go around!

Flickr (external link)
500PX (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,437 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 03, 2014 08:28 |  #1113

Alright, everybody has had his or her say about the matter. Could we just leave it at that now and get back on topic before the mods step in and close this thread?

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 03, 2014 08:28 |  #1114

gjl711 wrote in post #16574032 (external link)
Or an observation based on practical experience. I too try to avoid things made in China, why? Because so much of the cheap stuff is manufactured there and my personal experience indicated that if it's made there, it will break much quicker. No prejudice, no racism, simple observation.

Now I'm sure that there are quality goods manufactured there as I'm sure that there are bad goods manufactured elsewhere, but my personal experience makes me very wary of anything imported from there especially when not a brand name.

A problem here is that it's enough that the final assembly is made in a different country to allow that country to be put on the sticker. So lots of the time when you think you have avoided China as production country, you have bougt an item produced in China but with two or three tiny final steps performed in another country - all intended to trick you into thinking the product was made in Japan, or Europe or in US.

It isn't the manufacturing country that gives us gear that breaks within a couple of weeks - it's our interest in buying the cheapest possible gear. That results in shops wanting to sell the cheapest possible gear, and so importers wanting to import the cheapest possible gear, and so factories that wants to supply the cheapest possible gear. And "cheapest possible" then normally forces the production to a country with "lowest possible salary". Which doesn't change the fact that on the other side of the road, world class products are being produced for well known brands who wants to take advantage of the lower salaries to produce world-class quality while still maintaining a price that the customers can afford. So it's a dual-sided coin.

The main reason to not move production to China is more a question of speed, i.e. turn-around time. Taking the car and do a 20 min drive to the local factory is much quicker than to take a plane to the other side of the world, and then have to spend a number of weeks or even months there. So small production runs are kept near home while the big runs makes it worth it to send people by plane to spend significant time at the Chinese factory.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 03, 2014 08:33 |  #1115

mccamli wrote in post #16574071 (external link)
The liklihood is that if Tamron were to request the same spec lens from both producing countries that the one from Japan would be superior....way more expensive but superior.

Which means you actually agree with me, even if not realizing it. To get the same quality when made in Japan, the price would have been higher. Or to get it made for the same cost, they would have had to request it made to lower quality level.

Edit: By the way "likely" isn't an absolute.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Peter2516
Cream of the Crop
26,309 posts
Gallery: 953 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 03, 2014 08:34 |  #1116

Talley wrote in post #16574052 (external link)
We REALLY need to get back on topic....

Can't wait to see more user samples of this lens.

Yup me too. Every night I search YouTube for the reviews. But the review with AF test video from Frank was great.

Peter
http://www.flickriver.​com/photos/peterbangay​an (external link)
EOS 5D Mark IV, 1Dx1, 7D Mark I & II/Canon T2i Gripped/EF 500mm f/4L IS USM MK1 / EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM / EF100 -400 f4.5-5.6L USM/ EFS 10-22mm/EFS 17-55mm/EFS 18-200mm/Canon 1.4x II/Canon 2x III/ 430EXII / 580EXII.

Nick_Reading.UK
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 03, 2014 08:37 |  #1117

Peter2516 wrote in post #16574087 (external link)
Yup me too. Every night I search YouTube for the reviews. But awesome review with AF test video from Frank was awesome.

Whats the link? I cant be arsed going back through the whole of this thread searching..

EOS 5Dmk3 X2, 60D, EF24-70mm f2.8L mk2, EF70-200mm f2.8L IS mk2, EF85mm f1.8, EF50mm f1.4, EF50mm f1.8 mk1(350D with 18-55mm Sh"kit" lens).
Speedlite 600EX-RT, 430EX II Flash. manfrotto 190XDB tripod, Giottos GTMML 3290B Monopod, B+W 77mm 110 Single Coated filter, Hama 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter.

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 03, 2014 08:45 |  #1118

http://it.wyswig.com …di-vc-usd-english-review/ (external link)

Try that one.

Jim
Gear List

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 03, 2014 08:47 |  #1119

Talley wrote in post #16574052 (external link)
We REALLY need to get back on topic....

Can't wait to see more user samples of this lens.

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #16574074 (external link)
Alright, everybody has had his or her say about the matter. Could we just leave it at that now and get back on topic before the mods step in and close this thread?

I too am interested in the lens, please return to the original reason for the post. If -isms keep getting talked about the moderators will/should close this thread.

Prior to (IMO) the problem, this was a good intro/wish thread. It was making me anxious for a Lens Sample Thread for the Tamron 150-600, once some members start getting this lens.

If it is as good as my Sigma 150-500mm (I think I have a good copy), then I will eventually switch.

The problem with the Sigma is it is long and bulky for storage and transport. So is this one, but it is another 100mm long.

The only reason I would go to a Canon 100-400mm over my Sigma (or this if it is good) is size. It is enough shorter (physical dimensions) that it is easier to store and carry - so I would/might be willing to take it with me more frequently. I still occasionally think this because there is only a 100mm shortage on the Canon compared to the Sigma. But the Tamron has a 200mm advantage - I'd be less likely to think of switching!

Still need more information on the Tamron's IQ and handling performance.

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

Peter2516
Cream of the Crop
26,309 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 03, 2014 08:49 |  #1120

Yup this one. Thanks jbrackjr. Frank said he already fixed the link. You can also go to canon rumors there is a link there too.

Peter
EOS 5D Mark IV, 1Dx1, 7D Mark I & II/Canon T2i Gripped/EF 500mm f/4L IS USM MK1 / EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM / EF100 -400 f4.5-5.6L USM/ EFS 10-22mm/EFS 17-55mm/EFS 18-200mm/Canon 1.4x II/Canon 2x III/ 430EXII / 580EXII.

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 03, 2014 08:50 |  #1121

It appeared that focusing at 600 was a little wonky. Hopefully, it's only on that copy.

Jim
Gear List

Peter2516
Cream of the Crop
26,309 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 03, 2014 08:52 |  #1122

Draco3D wrote in post #16571039 (external link)
Another review http://it.wyswig.com …0-600mm-f5-6-3-di-vc-usd/ (external link)
On 3. page 2 focus speed test video with 5DIII.In good light/bad light.

Here it is too.

Peter

mccamli
697 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 03, 2014 08:52 |  #1123

pwm2 wrote in post #16574083 (external link)
Edit: By the way "likely" isn't an absolute.

Apologies, I wasn't being clear, I was referring to other people's posts that you'd commented upon.

Yes, we agree, assuming Tamron were to stipulate the same final product price but you'd omitted that crucial point. I was only picking on that to show that one cannot always rely on what people type to be an accurate reflection of what they're thinking...myself included lol

Flickr (external link)
500PX (external link)
Facebook (external link)

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 03, 2014 09:19 |  #1124

One thing that is a concern for me is zoom lock. I know it has a lock to prevent creep when walking (saw that in Franks review). But can you lock it at say 600? If the lens has creep and I'm fairly certain it will, it's going to be a PITA to hold it in place when on a tripod shooting up. Say birds high in a tree, or doing a moon shot.

Hopefully, I am wrong about this. Anyone with any info??

Jim
Gear List

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 03, 2014 09:20 |  #1125

pwm2 wrote in post #16573991 (external link)
It would still be prejudice, to base a view on manufacturing country without having even seen the produced items yet. After all - it isn't the manufacturing country you need to send the lens to in case of any warranty claim, so the only matter of production country is a name on a small sticker on the product/box.

The production quality does not follow from manufacturing country - it's all a question of what QA requirements that was agreed upon. This can be seen from the fact that many of the best - and many of the worst - products are made in China. If the request was for "make it as cheap and quick as possible", it will most probably be low quality. If the request was for "all shipped items must fullfill these production tests", then the quality can be world class. So the outcome of the production is all about Tamron requirements and validation, and not about manufacturing country.

I didn't say that it wouldn't be prejudicial. I said it wouldn't necessarily be racist. In fact I used the word bias, a synonym of prejudice, in my post.

My Gear

sponsored links

639,136 views & 5 likes for this thread
Tamron developing 150-600mm VC USD lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.