Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
Thread started 01 Jan 2014 (Wednesday) 20:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Newbie Looking for Advice

07BlackSpecV
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 01, 2014 20:11 |  #1

Hello Everyone,

I recently got a DSLR and also enjoy going to Motorsport events. I tried things out at the Honda 200 Indy race last summer and could use all the advice I can get. At the end of the month a couple friends and I are kicking off our racing season at the Sno-Drift in Northern Michigan, it's the first race in the Rally America Series.

The only gear I have is:
Canon Rebel EOS T3i
Canon 18-55mm Lens
Canon 75-300mm Lens

Both Auto Focus and only IS on the 18-55mm lens. Should I be looking at other lenses? Should I get a mono-pod? Technique suggestions along with just additional practice?

Thank you for your time,

Jordan

sponsored links
07BlackSpecV
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 01, 2014 20:20 |  #2

Whoops, sorry, just realized this was in the wrong section. Can a mod move this for me or delete and I can open a new one in the proper section?

T_A_K
42 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 02, 2014 19:14 |  #3

I would try to save up for a 70-200 it's a very versatile lens and you will be able to get great shots. A monopod is good too you're going to want your camera up most of the time and it will get tiring to be holding it.

Black ­ Mesa ­ Images
339 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 03, 2014 02:46 as a reply to  @ T_A_K's post |  #4

You can get a cheap monopod from WalMart to test out to see if you want to go that route.

Lens selection looks good for starting out. That's the setup I run. No need to drop a lot of coin just starting out.

Instagram (external link)
Black Mesa Images on Facebook (external link)
Black Mesa Images Blog and Photography (external link)
Twitter (external link)

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,060 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 03, 2014 04:45 |  #5

I have been successfully shooting at places like Japfest and Dakota drift using a Sigma 70-300 lens hand held. Monopods are nice to take the weight off your shoulders. Next season i'm running 2 bodies both on a harness so that could be fun. I'll be using 700D with a Canon 100-400 L and a 350D with a 18-55 IS

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

TustinMike
figment of our collective imaginations
5,504 posts
Gallery: 522 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 03, 2014 12:54 |  #6

You'll be able to do plenty with what you have, though as said one of the the 70-200 lens variants (F2.8L, v. II F2.8, F4L) are tremendous for motorsport (as well as photography in general) and probably something you might consider if you decide to get more into it. A tele-extender such as a 1.4X is also very handy.

Mainly though you'll want to get out there and practice, and shoot. Read up on this forum as well as other sources, practice your panning, and learn about proper exposure. And have fun !

I'm mainly here for the snacks

Angela-Benita
56 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 03, 2014 13:52 as a reply to  @ TustinMike's post |  #7

I would invest in an 70-200 mm. Buy the 2.8 right away instead of the 4.0 because you will end up upgrading anyway :-P

TustinMike
figment of our collective imaginations
5,504 posts
Gallery: 522 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 03, 2014 17:20 |  #8

Angela-Benita wrote in post #16574835 (external link)
I would invest in an 70-200 mm. Buy the 2.8 right away instead of the 4.0 because you will end up upgrading anyway :-P

I agree, but of course this depends on your budget. Also, you will sooner or later want to upgrade to a body with a more advanced Autofocus system (such as the 7D). But these things are part of the disease...er, progression.

I'm mainly here for the snacks

07BlackSpecV
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 03, 2014 18:16 |  #9

Haha, thank you for all the replies and suggestions everyone. Practice will be a big part of my process, and I very much so appreciate the direction to look in for eventual gear upgrades. I already have plenty of diseases in playing with my own cars but I love watching racing and am just looking to record it better.

veritasimagerynw
132 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 03, 2014 20:57 |  #10

The T3i will do you fine for now. Remember to use Shutter Priority (Tv), AI Servo AF mode, and I prefer Hi speed burst.

And really, if you're not doing much low-light motorsports then the Canon EF 70-200 f4 L (non-IS) will work for you. It's significantly less expensive than it's brothers but still a high quality lens. Back that up with a Canon 1.4x II extender on your crop body and you will get pretty good reach. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the monopod just yet. It's best use is with the bigger, much heavier, lenses.

That's close to what I use. I run the T3i as my "pit camera" with a Canon EF 24-105 f4 IS. And then I have a Canon 60d with the EF 70-200 f4 L (non-IS) + 1.4x II as my "track camera." This is the setup that I use for shooting both cars and motorcycles. Sure the next jump is to a 7d for the track and then the 60d will become the pit body.

When it comes to shooting, if you know the sport well, you will know where to get the best shots. With any panning shots, start with a higher shutter and work down from there.

Kevin
Canon AE-1 Program, Canon A-1, Canon T3i (gripped), Canon 60D (gripped), Various lenses
http://veritasimageryn​w.smugmug.com/external link
http://www.facebook.co​m/VeritasImageryNW?ref​=hlexternal link

Picturesports
569 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jan 04, 2014 08:53 |  #11

My two pence worth, which doesn't involve spending money on new lenses.

a) Learn about white balance, snow and how it will impact the metering system in your camera

b) Look at as many images as you can from previous events. Pick the ones you like and work out how the photographer framed the shot and took the photo. Look at the Exif information for the camera settings.

All of the equipment that people talk about wasn't available 20 years ago and yet the photographers of the day created some stunning images. :cool:

www.picturesports.co.u​k (external link)

veritasimagerynw
132 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 04, 2014 12:55 |  #12

Picturesports wrote in post #16576693 (external link)
All of the equipment that people talk about wasn't available 20 years ago and yet the photographers of the day created some stunning images. :cool:

Yes, but you know that if that equipment had been available, they would have been using it.

Kevin
Canon AE-1 Program, Canon A-1, Canon T3i (gripped), Canon 60D (gripped), Various lenses
http://veritasimageryn​w.smugmug.com/external link
http://www.facebook.co​m/VeritasImageryNW?ref​=hlexternal link

sponsored links

1,992 views & 0 likes for this thread
Newbie Looking for Advice
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.