Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Jan 2014 (Friday) 21:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70D or 6D? Please help me choose.

timrocks311
288 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 03, 2014 21:51 |  #1

I'm racking my brain on what to do. I'm ready for a new camera because I'm starting to realize the limitations of my current one. Same thing with my flash but I can live with that a bit more. I'm considering an all purpose lens too , like the 24-105L.

So I'm weighing to options:
1. Buy the 6d bundle with the 24-105L. Sell my Sigma 30. Keep my 430 flash for now.

Or for about the same price:
2. Buy a 70d. Buy a used 24-105 and a 580 flash.

I'm an amateur. Most of what I shoot are photos of my kids, and a lot of times it's indoors. I want a good low light camera mainly. I've never used a full frame camera. I have big hands so I'm not concerned about the physical size of either. I think full frame would be better for portraits and the 6d for low light but the video on the 70d might be nice plus I'd get more with the 70d (i.e. keep my 30 and get another flash).

Which would you do? What would you recommend I do?

Thanks for the help!

70D | 18-35 Art | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 100L
My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 03, 2014 21:56 |  #2

timrocks311 wrote in post #16575918 (external link)
I'm racking my brain on what to do. I'm ready for a new camera because I'm starting to realize the limitations of my current one.

Which are?

timrocks311
THREAD ­ STARTER
288 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 03, 2014 22:01 |  #3

xarqi wrote in post #16575927 (external link)
Which are?

Mainly low light performance. Want better ISO. I'd like spot metering. Also I'm not happy with the focusing and think it might be off a bit.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,668 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 03, 2014 22:04 |  #4

You will spend less money on picking up some good software tools to help control noise. For amateur usage with family and the like, there is no reason you couldn't shoot at ISO 12800 on the 70D.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,715 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Jan 03, 2014 22:05 |  #5

6D dont even think twice just do it.

The video on the 70D is nothing to brag about, you're gonna want to pull focus anyways since the STM system is nowhere near camcorder focusing.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,668 posts
Joined May 2002

Jan 03, 2014 22:09 |  #6

maverick75 wrote in post #16575950 (external link)
6D dont even think twice just do it.

The video on the 70D is nothing to brag about, you're gonna want to pull focus anyways since the STM system is nowhere near camcorder focusing.

Why exactly would one need to spend that much more on a 6D just to shoot family indoors? I see no real great advantage and the money saved could go into other equipment. Also, you can't change lenses on a camcorder. Focusing lag can be overcome with proper settings on the camera so it doesn't have to be like a camcorder, with a much larger DOF. The 70D video would be fine for videos of the kids running around.

I don't own either one, but I understand completely the needs stated, and just don't see why the 6D is so much more compelling especially at a price tag of $300+ more. I find it ridiculous to recommend such an expense to family amateurs that just shoot family at home. Heck, that is exactly what Canon markets the entire rebel line toward.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

timrocks311
THREAD ­ STARTER
288 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 03, 2014 22:24 |  #7

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16575961 (external link)
Why exactly would one need to spend that much more on a 6D just to shoot family indoors? I see no real great advantage and the money saved could go into other equipment. Also, you can't change lenses on a camcorder. Focusing lag can be overcome with proper settings on the camera so it doesn't have to be like a camcorder, with a much larger DOF. The 70D video would be fine for videos of the kids running around.

I don't own either one, but I understand completely the needs stated, and just don't see why the 6D is so much more compelling especially at a price tag of $300+ more. I find it ridiculous to recommend such an expense to family amateurs that just shoot family at home. Heck, that is exactly what Canon markets the entire rebel line toward.

I appreciate these comments. I have a bad habit of always wanting the best even if I don't need it. I do want something more professional than the Rebel I have because I'm getting more and more use out of it. I do feel that maybe the 6D is way more than I need but I don't upgrade very often, so I do want something I can get many years from. Perhaps I'm looking for verification that something like the 70d will suit me well. In reality, a 60d will probably be a significant upgrade from what I have.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,703 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 03, 2014 22:25 |  #8

I'm racking my brain on what to do. I'm ready for a new camera because I'm starting to realize the limitations of my current one. Same thing with my flash but I can live with that a bit more. I'm considering an all purpose lens too , like the 24-105L.

1. Buy the 6d bundle with the 24-105L. Sell my Sigma 30. Keep my 430 flash for now.

I'm an amateur. Most of what I shoot are photos of my kids, and a lot of times it's indoors. I want a good low light camera mainly. I've never used a full frame camera. I have big hands so I'm not concerned about the physical size of either. I think full frame would be better for portraits and the 6d for low light but the video on the 70d might be nice plus I'd get more with the 70d (i.e. keep my 30 and get another flash).

Thanks for the help!

This sentence makes it sound as though you think the 6D isn't full frame? Maybe I'm just reading it wrong.

There's nothing wrong with the 70D based on what I saw in the user and high ISO thread, to me the 12800ISO shots look very impressive and I do think general specs wise the 70D is a better all around camera (this coming from a 6D owner and lover). The 6D is certainly better in terms of ISO performance, but I think that gap is narrowing between FF and crop sensors in regard to noise. That said, the FF sensor has other advantages, mostly if you like to use prime lenses (the main reason I stick with FF, since you're asking about a general lens, I assume this doesn't matter much to you) since there are much more options at the standard and wide end, you also get a perceived DOF advantage which I find very appealing, some people don't notice the difference though.

The 70D's video AF should be a really nice addition and if you're looking for a simple and effective AF system, the 70D definitely has a slight advantage over the 6D.

If you do go with the 70D, I would skip the 24-105L, there are better options for Canon's crop DSLR's. I would instead look into lenses like the EF-S 17-50/2.8, Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 (basically the crop equivalent to the 24-105L) or even the Sigma 18-35/1.8. The 24-105L is very useful on a full frame DSLR, but the zoom range and aperture aren't that great on a crop sensor camera. On a crop f/4 isn't that fast for narrowing the DOF, 2.8 is about the equivalent of f/4 on FF.

I hope this helps, I'm sure there are other members that will be able to elaborate better than me ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,668 posts
Joined May 2002

Jan 03, 2014 22:31 |  #9

timrocks311 wrote in post #16575993 (external link)
I appreciate these comments. I have a bad habit of always wanting the best even if I don't need it. I do want something more professional than the Rebel I have because I'm getting more and more use out of it. I do feel that maybe the 6D is way more than I need but I don't upgrade very often, so I do want something I can get many years from. Perhaps I'm looking for verification that something like the 70d will suit me well. In reality, a 60d will probably be a significant upgrade from what I have.

The XTi is a bit long in the tooth these days, the 70D would be a huge upgrade, IMO. 19 AF points are very nice for coverage and reducing recomposure, etc. and it sounds like its AF is right on par with the 7D, which is great too.

Sure the 6D is better at high ISO, but I would rather take the more well-rounded aspects of the 70D with 19 points and more fps for general everyday shooting of family events. If you plan on ever branching out to other types of photography, then at that time consider getting into FF if the need calls for it.

You also have a wider selection of glass for the 70D than the 6D, at more family friendly prices.

The whole "I want to shoot casual shots of family events around the house and maybe at school, etc" with the answer being "you must spend $1500 on a FF body to shoot that kind of stuff" just seems wrong to me, especially considering there are so many expenses with a growing family, and I doubt that extra money for a 6D will really enhance the memories invoked by the shots you are going to take of the kids. :)

timrocks311
THREAD ­ STARTER
288 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 03, 2014 22:32 as a reply to  @ EverydayGetaway's post |  #10

I am aware the 6d is full frame. I do like my prime lenses (its all i use at the moment) and think they would be nice on full frame. I was just thinking recently that a general zoom would be handy though. I could see myself getting more primes though if I got the 6d, like a 35 and 100.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,668 posts
Joined May 2002

Jan 03, 2014 22:40 |  #11

timrocks311 wrote in post #16576015 (external link)
I am aware the 6d is full frame. I do like my prime lenses (its all i use at the moment) and think they would be nice on full frame. I was just thinking recently that a general zoom would be handy though. I could see myself getting more primes though if I got the 6d, like a 35 and 100.

A zoom for the kids almost seems like a necessity, at least for me. And shooting school videos requires a zoom too, because I like to zoom in on my girls, then zoom out to show the entire group, etc. It is not only a memory for me, but my kids, when they are much older, will like seeing all the kids they went to school with. I couldn't shoot family video without a zoom personally.

I like primes too, simply due to the IQ they provide, but currently I only have 2, both extremely sharp and great when I need them. I might consider a wider prime in the future, but for now the Tokina is a 16mm prime on the 5D3.

shamlyn
93 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 03, 2014 23:18 |  #12

Thanks for the help!

I would recommend a Canon 70D over the 6D. Yes the 6D is a full frame camera, but the 70D would be a better option. Also, the 70D has a wide variety of lenses to choose from, unlike the 6D with a narrow choice. You can only use EF Lenses with the 6D verses a choice of EF and EF-S Lenses with the 70D.

Also my recommendation is to get a samll size lens probably like a wide angle lens, and also a telephoto lense instead of buying a 24-105. Currently I have a T3i upgrading this year to a 70D. Granted, I have a 18-55mm and a 55-250mm, but I plan on adding a wide angle lens, a Sigma 10-20mm.

If you are a casual shot person, and not like a hardcore professional photographer, than I see no advantage of buying a full frame camera.

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 03, 2014 23:32 |  #13

Okay Ive read these all for simple photos Between the 6D and the 70 D
Get the T3i Combo Its Perfect Entry Level and You wont be Buying a ton of stuff you wont use for years
My 70D is still way over my head and Ive been shootin frames for almost 16 years
The technology keeps Moving forward faster than Engineering can Shelve the Cameras.
Can you believe there is actually a 36 MP EFS? Its there but the market just aint ready.....

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

EOS5DC
791 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 03, 2014 23:32 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

What is wrong with using a 6D to shoot (grand)children running around the house/yard/park?

Bodies: 60D, 6D.
EFs: 15-85, 10-22
EF: 28-75, 35 f/2 IS, Σ70-200 OS, 100-400L
Flash: 580EX II, 430 EX II

andykim7
41 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 03, 2014 23:33 |  #15

sounds like you should go with a 70D... your lenses are pretty fast and should be fine at low light.

EOS 6D, 24-105L, 16-35LII, 85 f/1.8, Rokinon 14 f/2.8, Sigma 35 f/1.4

sponsored links

5,351 views & 0 likes for this thread
70D or 6D? Please help me choose.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.