Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 03 Jan 2014 (Friday) 22:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Budget zoom to outperform my Sigma 70-300 DG?

hal55
199 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 03, 2014 22:30 |  #1

I've used a 4.5-5.6 APO DG for quite a few years. I like it, it was cheap and I've taken some great shots with it. It is however starting to feel it's age and, even on a tripod, the 300mm shots (birding) are quite soft and I'm reluctant to go past 200mm with it.
I just read a review of the Tamron AF 55-200 4.5-5.6 DI LD Macro, which came across as a low priced wonder. The short end coming down to 55mm would be a big bonus as I often find the the 70mm on the Sigma too long. It seems a good lens but then there is also the new Canon 55-250 STM which I gather is also very good for it's price point and has the big advantage of IS.
Any comments on these lenses much appreciated, my camera is a 450D and, although I've no immediate plans to upgrade, the chances are that in the next year or so the upgrade bug will bite and I'll take the plunge.
Light weight is a consideration as well since this will double as a holiday lens and needs to join the 450D/Tamron 28-75 and probably a 17-50 Tammy in the camera bag. Obviously, I want to keep the weight down and not feel as though I'm hauling a ton of gear (been there, done that before). If there are other contenders that is also fine, I'm not wedded to the idea of the other two.

Hal55

sponsored links
hal55
THREAD ­ STARTER
199 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 04, 2014 06:42 |  #2

Should also mention that I like to take action shots, whether it be birding, powerboat racing or whatever. A lens that is quick to autofocus would be great. I realize that I'm asking a lot of a budget lens, but the budget just isn't there to go higher.

Hal55

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 04, 2014 07:01 |  #3

hal55 wrote in post #16576008 (external link)
I've used a 4.5-5.6 APO DG for quite a few years. I like it, it was cheap and I've taken some great shots with it. It is however starting to feel it's age and, even on a tripod, the 300mm shots (birding) are quite soft and I'm reluctant to go past 200mm with it.
I just read a review of the Tamron AF 55-200 4.5-5.6 DI LD Macro, which came across as a low priced wonder. The short end coming down to 55mm would be a big bonus as I often find the the 70mm on the Sigma too long. It seems a good lens but then there is also the new Canon 55-250 STM which I gather is also very good for it's price point and has the big advantage of IS.
Any comments on these lenses much appreciated, my camera is a 450D and, although I've no immediate plans to upgrade, the chances are that in the next year or so the upgrade bug will bite and I'll take the plunge.
Light weight is a consideration as well since this will double as a holiday lens and needs to join the 450D/Tamron 28-75 and probably a 17-50 Tammy in the camera bag. Obviously, I want to keep the weight down and not feel as though I'm hauling a ton of gear (been there, done that before). If there are other contenders that is also fine, I'm not wedded to the idea of the other two.

Hal55

The easiest direct replacement is the Tamron 70-300mm vibration control  (external link)lens, which easily generated these sample images.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …405b0472a_zpsaa​9479b3.jpg (external link)

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …0806w0134_zpsf0​fcdc66.jpg (external link)

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …0829a0163_zps1d​7298a5.jpg (external link)

One of the advantages of the Tamron lens is its price, which, along with a generous rebate, is so low that some are suspicious because they think it should cost more for its performance.

If you want a truly inexpensive lens that's also versatile, consider another Tamron, the 18-200m (external link), which generated this sample image.

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …1024a0058_zps9a​8f7720.jpg (external link)

This Tamron lens is among the least expensive useful lenses on the market, yet it works well. Of course, suggesting this unit will offend those who "know" a so-called "superzoom" unit is inferior without ever having used one.

hal55
THREAD ­ STARTER
199 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 04, 2014 07:22 as a reply to  @ DC Fan's post |  #4

Must admit those images look very persausive, although on the replacement I still fancy having a shorter 50mm or so wide end. Reason being that when birding on my deck (we have stacks of native birdlife) 70mm is often a bit too long when they are feeding or interacting close to you.

Hal55

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 04, 2014 08:17 |  #5

Hal, take a look at the Sigma 18-250 OS MACRO. Not sure what the new price is but one was for sale on this forum about 5-6 days ago for $275 in like new condition. This lens is reported to be very sharp for a super zoom. Gets very good reviews. It may be a little short on the long end, but covers wide very nicely. Good luck.

Jim
Gear List

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,034 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 04, 2014 10:23 |  #6

55-250IS or STM, and the tamron 70-300VC are really the only lenses you should be considering...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 04, 2014 13:19 |  #7

I'd vote for the Tamron 70-300VC as well. Excellent lens for a amazing price.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

bogeypro
302 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 04, 2014 14:01 as a reply to  @ flowrider's post |  #8

I have a Tamron 70-300mm VC to sell if you're interested, PM me

hal55
THREAD ­ STARTER
199 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 05, 2014 06:27 as a reply to  @ bogeypro's post |  #9

Sorry, did some more photography today and really feel a wider short end than 70mm is what I'm after. Just gives more flexibility for what I do.

Hal55

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 05, 2014 09:09 |  #10

hal55 wrote in post #16578917 (external link)
Sorry, did some more photography today and really feel a wider short end than 70mm is what I'm after. Just gives more flexibility for what I do.

Hal55

If you really want a wide-to-normal lens at a low price, you have a limited choice.

The Tamron 18-200mm (external link) already has been discussed. Also, there's the Canon 18-55mm IS. (external link) The non-zoom Canon 50mm f/1.8 II (external link) has a low price. And there's also the long-discontinued Canon 28-80mm (external link), which is available cheap at used prices.

Your messages seem to hint you'd like something like the Canon 24-105 f/4 L lens (external link), which is a very good lens, but has nothing approaching a "budget" price. And nothing else in this range can really be considered a "budget" unit unless your budget totals several thousand dollars.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,161 posts
Gallery: 1633 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 05, 2014 09:25 |  #11

hal55 wrote in post #16576008 (external link)

Hal55

Heya,

I would not try to cover 50mm and 200mm ranges with the same lens. You're just compromising too much there.

I think you'd do better simply going for a used, old, EF 70-200 F4L. It's usually around $450 or so second hand. Optically very sharp. Great constant aperture. Internal mechanisms. The earlier 70-200's are light weight.

And then roll one of your lesser focal lengths when at your desk.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,889 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 05, 2014 09:41 |  #12

hal55 wrote in post #16578917 (external link)

Hal55

55-250 IS makes sense to me. Very inexpensive if you wanted to try it out, then sell the lens later if it just doesn't deliver.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,889 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 05, 2014 09:50 |  #13

MalVeauX wrote in post #16579188 (external link)
Heya,

I would not try to cover 50mm and 200mm ranges with the same lens. You're just compromising too much there.

I cover 50 and 500 with the same lens, and get pretty good results.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,034 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 05, 2014 10:00 |  #14

if you must have wider than 70mm....the 55-250STM would be my first choice...and if you want cheaper than that, the regular IS version of the lens would be a good one to go with...you really can't do better on a budget of $350 or so

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,161 posts
Gallery: 1633 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 05, 2014 10:14 |  #15

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16579255 (external link)
I cover 50 and 500 with the same lens, and get pretty good results.

A $1.5k lens is not on his budget.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

sponsored links

1,946 views & 0 likes for this thread
Budget zoom to outperform my Sigma 70-300 DG?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.