Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 14 Dec 2013 (Saturday) 08:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone with a 13 inch retina mbp?

Zeiterphoto
91 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 14, 2013 08:58 |  #1

Hello there,

I am thinking of buying a 13 inch retina macbook pro with 16gb of ram and 256gb ssd that comes with it. As you all know, it comes with the HD 5000. I do not plan on using the best for retina resolution, because it is way too big for my taste.

When I went to the apple store, I tried one of those running both at the same time the Apple 27 inch display and it's 1440x900 scalled resolution and it lagged when scrolling and doing stuff. Right now, I am using a dell u1223hm and I plan on buying a new 27 inch monitor and use both + the retina screen. I could possibly close the lid when photo editing but what's the point in buying a retina screen then...

I surfed Apple forums and there are a lot of threads about lag when resizing windows or just surfing the web like I experienced at the Apple store. Is this hardware or software problem? Will Apple fix it? Also, is this a good computer for the next 3-4 years??

So, I would like to know how people with a 13 retina macbook pro are doing ... pros and cons of having this device. Money is too short on my end to buy the 15 inch version...

thank you

Canon 60D | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon Flash Speedlite 430EX II | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Mr_ipsum
320 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 14, 2013 17:17 |  #2

Just bought the 13 Retina MBP a few weeks ago, I absolutely love it -my first Mac. I run LR and PS simultaneously and don't notice any lag at all. I have no regrets.

RichardCervellonePhoto​graphy.com (external link) | Follow me on Instagram (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,836 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 14, 2013 19:17 |  #3

If you are in North America, always check the price list before purchasing.
http://appleinsider.co​m/mac_price_guide/# (external link)

Personally I would not want a 256GB SSD as there is little room left on it for any photo trip flee collection. We have 756GB SSDs with around 500GB empty. That gives us storage for around 2 weeks of shooting. When we come home we cull and edit. The keepers are then moved to the external LR library drives. So consider how much space you need for local storage and how much space you will need on an external library drive.

SethWilliams
128 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 15, 2013 14:36 |  #4

I have a 256GB 13" rMBP and love it. Best computer decision i've ever made.

5D MK II x2 | 35L f1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 135L f2

Zeiterphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
91 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 28, 2013 11:55 |  #5

im still undecided :/

Canon 60D | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon Flash Speedlite 430EX II | flickr (external link)

SethWilliams
128 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 01, 2014 08:31 |  #6

What are you waiting on?

5D MK II x2 | 35L f1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 135L f2

Zeiterphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
91 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 04, 2014 14:40 |  #7

SethWilliams wrote in post #16568769 (external link)
What are you waiting on?

I want the computer for the next 3-4 years and I doubt the 13 inch version's gpu is fast enough for several (2-3) external displays and 4k maybe?

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 04, 2014 17:13 |  #8

Not sure about your location but have you looked into refurbished units? Years ago I had a buddy buy a refurb macbook for far less than the cost of a new one. It lasted him years with no issues until he dropped it and the screen cracked. Look at buying a cheaper unit and adding the ram yourself.

Just an option. http://store.apple.com …wse/home/specia​ldeals/mac (external link)

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 04, 2014 17:33 |  #9

Zeiterphoto wrote in post #16577446 (external link)
I want the computer for the next 3-4 years and I doubt the 13 inch version's gpu is fast enough for several (2-3) external displays and 4k maybe?

After 4 years any computer will seem like a dinosaur. Do you really need all that display space?

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,836 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 05, 2014 12:44 |  #10

For editing photos....there is no screen too large, too detailed, or too acurate. So i have 15" rMBP for field work (collecting, culling and initial editing) and then use a calibrated ATD to finalize the editing. After editing the files go to the external library array. I have no need to try to carry GBs of photos, music, and documents into the field.

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 05, 2014 14:06 |  #11

I am good with one 27 inch monitor. I think if I had anything larger it would be overkill and three monitors just seems ridiculous to me. I kind of do the same thing. I will cull images on a 13" laptop and then bring them into my main computer and do the edits on the larger monitor.

StE823
430 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 24, 2014 00:19 |  #12

13" retina can't run 4K @ 60hz, only 15" does. (seems like someone can get the 13" run 4K at 52hz with some kinda hack, but not worth IMO).

If you want your laptop run 4K native, better off get 15" retina.

http://www.shutterlit.​com (external link)

sponsored links

3,137 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone with a 13 inch retina mbp?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.