Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Jan 2014 (Friday) 23:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Committed.

tnguyen600
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 03, 2014 23:17 |  #1

Hi Everyone,

I've decided that I wanted to be much more aggressive and legitimate with my photography. Too many craigslist photographers or GWC which is fine but they're not paying taxes, insured, etc. So I hope me being more established legally will open more doors.

I just signed up with PPA which I'm really excited about. I just wish I did this a two years ago...I had my 70-200 MKII stolen at a church.

Anyway, the next thing on my list to establish an LLC. Anyone use Legal Zoom before and was happy with it? I've heard some mixed reviews.

For those that are familiar with PPA, should I purchase their general liability policy? I was quoted $343 for the year. I'm not sure if the Indemnification/Trust that's under the professional package includes general liability.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Gear List
www.tvnphotography.com

sponsored links
xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 03, 2014 23:26 |  #2

Careful whem evaluating ppa's equipment insurance. There are differences between them and other insurnces. Mainly replacememt value vs actual value.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

tnguyen600
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 03, 2014 23:35 |  #3

Thanks for the heads up. I just checked it out and it looks like their basic coverage is evaluated at the actual cash value which still isn't bad compared to what i have now...which is nothing. Once my PPA is processed, I'll get a quote for their Purchase PhotoCare® Plus Insurance plan which uses replacement cost value on scheduled items.

Gear List
www.tvnphotography.com

supfresh
222 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jan 04, 2014 00:08 |  #4

I've been looking into purchasing insurance and getting "more legit" as well, I'm quite curious to see how the transition turns out for you, in terms of ease, and complications, etc.

Keep us posted!

Wedding (external link) - Facebook (external link)- Personal (external link)
5DMKIII / A7RII/ RICOHGR / 50L / 24-70L II/ 70-200 2.8 VC / 35A / 16-35L II / S85
Always some lens, never your lens.

tnguyen600
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 04, 2014 02:19 |  #5

Well, I went thru LegalZoom. Pretty straight forward but they try to up sell you a lot of services/features. I chose the standard package which runs $289 plus filing, etc. All said and done, it was $501 + $159 for the assigned agent. The assigned agent is an annual fee.

What I found weird was that the filing fee was different despite it being the same state. The gold package which runs $359...the PA filing fee was $195. For the standard package ($289), it was only $125. Odd.

So now I knocked out PPA membership and LLC status. Next up, revamp site (zenfolio) and new business cards.

Gear List
www.tvnphotography.com

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 04, 2014 19:02 |  #6

Why exactly did you want a llc status and not just a sole proprietor?

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

tnguyen600
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 05, 2014 10:37 |  #7

Liability issue and tax purposes. It's a little more money initially and slightly more complex but down the road, I think it'll be worth it.

Gear List
www.tvnphotography.com

Seamus69
788 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 06, 2014 13:19 |  #8

There is absolutely no tax advantage to being an LLC vs. a sole proprietor. None. In fact, if you are the sole owner of the LLC, you will report to the IRS as a sole proprietor (using the same form-Schedule C) because the IRS doesn't recognize LLCs as a business entity. That said, as an LLC, you may later make a Sub S election and there are some tax advantages to being as S corp. There are also a lot more annual administrative costs with Sub S elections which negate the advantages unless you are approaching six figures of net income. There may be some liability protections of being an LLC, but don't you think if there is a liability claim you will be sued personally right along with your LLC? The cure for liability protection is insurance. Assigned agent? Is that the same as the Registered Agent? A Registered Agent is the person who will get any legal correspondence should any come your way. Why not be your own Registered Agent rather than pay someone to receive your mail and forward it to you and save $50 a year or whatever they are charging you? Please spend a couple hundred bucks and hire a CPA and/or attorney who is an expert in setting up a business. In the long run it will save you time, money, and anguish.

Canon 60D, 5Diii, 24-105, 24-70ii, 70-200 f2.8 ii is, 580ex, (2)430ex

1000WordsPhotography
515 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 09, 2014 09:25 |  #9

I would advise a regular insurance policy over ppa. I've heard a lot of complaints about their insurance.

Twitter: @1kWordsPhotog
Instagram: @1000WordsPhotographer
Facebook: Here (external link)
Portfolio: Here (external link)

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,927 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 09, 2014 10:02 |  #10

I had both...ppa's insurance as well as a private business policy. PPA's was a joke when I tried to file a claim on it. I won't go into the details other than they wouldn't pay and I in turn dropped them for just the single private policy.

PPA is over rated IMO, I've since left them as well. Pay for a PPA title that really didn't help me one bit in the 3 yrs I was a member.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M
https://designcostello​.com/ (external link)

tnguyen600
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 09, 2014 22:43 |  #11

Thanks for the input. Who's your carrier? I'm looking for general liability. PPA offered some business general liability 1M/2M for ~$337/year.

Gear List
www.tvnphotography.com

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 13, 2014 13:21 |  #12

Seamus69 wrote in post #16582591 (external link)
There is absolutely no tax advantage to being an LLC vs. a sole proprietor. None. In fact, if you are the sole owner of the LLC, you will report to the IRS as a sole proprietor (using the same form-Schedule C) because the IRS doesn't recognize LLCs as a business entity. That said, as an LLC, you may later make a Sub S election and there are some tax advantages to being as S corp. There are also a lot more annual administrative costs with Sub S elections which negate the advantages unless you are approaching six figures of net income. There may be some liability protections of being an LLC, but don't you think if there is a liability claim you will be sued personally right along with your LLC? The cure for liability protection is insurance. Assigned agent? Is that the same as the Registered Agent? A Registered Agent is the person who will get any legal correspondence should any come your way. Why not be your own Registered Agent rather than pay someone to receive your mail and forward it to you and save $50 a year or whatever they are charging you? Please spend a couple hundred bucks and hire a CPA and/or attorney who is an expert in setting up a business. In the long run it will save you time, money, and anguish.

^^ all true about the taxes and liability
going to a local CPA could result in similar costs but definitely be your own "local" or register agent!

sponsored links

1,795 views & 0 likes for this thread
Committed.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.